Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foreign Language Films - Love or Hate em ?

Comments

• I recently watched two series on Sky Arts. Which thoroughly enjoyed Hard - a comedy about a woman whose husband dies suddenly and she discovers he was running a pron business - very funny- French and Isabelle - Period drama surrounding the court of Castille and the political maneuvering between the King his court and the Court of Isabelle his sister and heir. Great stuff.
  • "I Wish" (Japan)

A 12-year old boy, separated from his brother owing to his parents' divorce, believes that the new bullet train service will create a miracle when the trains pass each other at top speed.

This film was in the list of the top ten films of 2013 for both the Guardian and the BBC's Film 2013. Very well deserved, as it is a extremely humorous, tender and charming window into the world of childhood (and, indeed, the older generation). Strongly recommended.
  • Don't know if it's been mentioned, but watched Seraphine recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Based on a true story set just before the 1st world war,its about a French cleaner who made her own paints and,well, painted.

No action as such, save for some beautiful paintings.
  • Spanish thriller called The Body - being remade by Hollywood is good
  • edited July 2014
    I finally managed to get hold of a copy of 'Time of the Gypsies' and watched it last night. Very crazy, very funny, some great characters, if you enjoyed Emir Kusturica's 'Black Cat White Cat' this is really worth watching. If your new to crazy serbian films give them a go !
  • Jean De floret and the sequel, Manon Des Source (must watch in sequence!). Powerfully simple story brilliantly filmed and superbly acted. 

both, great tales, astonishingly beautiful and deeply moving. in that same vein, colonel chabert.
  • March51 said:

Off-Side. Of all things it's an Iranian 'feel-good' film based around a World Cup qualifier: Iran v. Bahrain. Turns up occassionally on late night Film 4. Also a Russian film whose name escapes me I'm afraid, along the lines of Full Metal Jacker but shows the experiences of a new platoon in Afghanistan. And of course the great Das Boot, which doesn't really need sub-titles at all.

love off-side, march 51, and many post-revolution iranian films are well worth investigating - golden period in the 1990 - early 2000's: almost anything by abbas kiarostami, jafar panahi, majid majidi.

• anything from michael haneke & krystof kieslowski and almost any from werner herzog.
  • got me waxing now, anything from my favourite french master craftsman, patrice leconte, oh yes, eric rohmer too, and yesss, susanne bier.
  • Dont know if any of you have seen Dutch or Belgian movies yet, there are some pretty good/weird out there. A horror camp classic is 'de lift', there is one called 'Rundskop', 'De zaal alzheimer' , 'loft' , 'de helaasheid der dingen', 'Le huitieme jour', 'C'est arrive pres de chez vous (crazy violent), 'Any way the wind blows', 'l'enfant', 'Vinyan' (very disturbing), 'The broken circle breakdown' and my personal fav 'Les Barons'.
  • Sponsored links:

• French movies worth watching are

L'auberge espagnol (very light)
    Irreversible
    La haine (as been stated numerous times)
    Bienvenue chez les cht'is
    Léon
    Je vais bien, ne t'en fais pas
    Amelie Poulain
    Un long dimanche de fiancailles
    Le grand bleu
    Entre les Murs
    De Rouille et d'os
    They have some pretty funny action movies too, the first taxi, Doberman and so on.
  • In the category other languages i would add some more ( leaving out the obvious ones that have already been mentioned like amores perros etc)

Das experiment
    Festen
    Black cat, White cat
    Das Leben der Anderen
    La meglio Gioventu
    Fucking Amal

• Untouchable(s) ( 2012 )

Every now and then a film blows you away. Untouchable is one such film. I had been meaning to see this for some time and finally got round to watching it tonight and oh what a delight this was. Fantastic performances from Omar Sy and François Cluzet that would put most Hollywood actors to shame. If you are ever in any doubt about watching a foreign language film , then watch this as you wont get a movie as good as this at your local multiplex.

10 out of 10

http://youtu.be/H7g_OjLKeZ4

• C_A_F_C said:

Personally i think if they're in this country, they should be in English...

Don't you just hate it when they look at the camera and speak in english then turn round to another actor and speak in their own language.
  • Untouchable(s) ( 2012 )

Every now and then a film blows you away. Untouchable is one such film. I had been meaning to see this for some time and finally got round to watching it tonight and oh what a delight this was. Fantastic performances from Omar Sy and François Cluzet that would put most Hollywood actors to shame. If you are ever in any doubt about watching a foreign language film , then watch this as you wont get a movie as good as this at your local multiplex.

10 out of 10

http://youtu.be/H7g_OjLKeZ4

Saw this a couple of months ago and is truly a brilliant film
  • In the category other languages i would add some more ( leaving out the obvious ones that have already been mentioned like amores perros etc)

Das experiment
    Festen
    Black cat, White cat
    Das Leben der Anderen
    La meglio Gioventu
    Fucking Amal

Not read 8 pages but I assume d mehmet can offer something on this?

I assume fester should be fistin?
  • Troll Hunter was on film.four last.night and i thought.it was quality.

not scary but enjoyable and thought the actor playing the hunter was superb

Did Charlton Life feature?
  • My favourite movie of the last ten years, The Secret In Their Eyes, is getting a Hollywood remake. The two male leads are to be played by...Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I feel sick.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

My favourite movie of the last ten years, The Secret In Their Eyes, is getting a Hollywood remake. The two male leads are to be played by...Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I feel sick.

My favourite all time comedy film, Bedazzled, was remade with Liz Hurley in the Peter Cook role. I watched it without comparing it to the original and thought it was alright.
  • Sponsored links:

• French movies worth watching are

L'auberge espagnol (very light)
    Irreversible
    La haine (as been stated numerous times)
    Bienvenue chez les cht'is
    Léon
    Je vais bien, ne t'en fais pas
    Amelie Poulain
    Un long dimanche de fiancailles
    Le grand bleu
    Entre les Murs
    De Rouille et d'os
    They have some pretty funny action movies too, the first taxi, Doberman and so on.

I was in Lille about 6 years ago when they had a town hall reception for the "bienevenue chez les cht'is. When Danny Bleu, the main actor came onto the balcony, the place went nuts. Always meant to watch the film but haven't got around to it yet. It's supposed to be very funny.
  • Life is Beautiful (1997)

I don't know why i had not got around to watching this classic before but finally today i did and what a lovely film it is.
    Normally you wouldn't describe a film that revolves around a Nazi prisoner of war camp as "Lovely" but this was just that.
    How the father , played brilliantly by Roberto Benigni , went out of his was to protect his child was a joy to watch.
    The last scene nearly had me in tears. If you haven't see it , do so.

8 out of 10

http://youtu.be/16RZHqCIy9M
  • I can also recommend Life Is Beautiful. Some lovely comic touches too.
  • For those that missed 'Female Agents' on Saturday night/Sunday Morning (French with subs), you have until Sunday to see it again on iPlayer .. girls' own adventure with added pathos .. great WW2 French Resistance/SOE yarn
  • In Order Of Disappearance looks good. Norwegian drama released this week. Starring Stellan Skarsgard.

It has been likened to Fargo and Dirty Harry.
  • In Order Of Disappearance looks good. Norwegian drama released this week. Starring Stellan Skarsgard.

It has been likened to Fargo and Dirty Harry.

I read a review of this film last week - looking forward to seeing it.

• If it has not been mentioned before "The Battle of Algiers" is worth watching.
  • Just watched a Spanish thriller, The Body. Throughly recommend it, superb film.

• If it has not been mentioned before "The Battle of Algiers" is worth watching.

Absolutely this:fantastic film.

If you haven't seen it,The Lives of Others is currently on i-player. Another fantastic film.

• I would love to see 'The Battle of Algiers' but it is never on TV or available to borrow in the local libraries, whilst the DVD is inordinately expensive to buy. Agree with Redskin on 'The Lives of Others' - an outstanding film.

I saw some foreign language films at preview screenings for the London Film Festival last week, notably:

Dukhtar (‘Daughter’) (Pakistan)

In the mountains of northern Pakistan, two elderly warlords agree a truce and alliance on the basis that one will be married to the other’s 10-year-old daughter, thereby joining his bloodline. The child’s mother (who had suffered a similar fate) flees with her daughter on the wedding day. Both warlords are dishonoured and each send killers down the mountain to hunt down the escaping pair.

This is a simple tale but one that makes for a very tense and well executed road movie thriller. The beautiful scenery of northern Pakistan is a further bonus - 7/10.

Others seen last week were 'Excuse My French' (an Egyptian comedy), 'Self Made' (a surreal drama about the Palestinian conflict) and '10,000km' (a Spanish love story) - all of which were in the ok category. I also saw French Riviera (a French thriller), which was, in my view, both mediocre and too long.