Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should I get a cat?

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related

I hear that kittens should not be left alone for longer than three hours, and need shedloads of attention until they're about a year old. However with a kitten you have a better chance of getting one you like the look of. A one year old cat/rescue cat would be great I suppose, but according to Mrs Plum it has to be nice looking, and not be a cat with black furry legs with white paws.

I have no catflap in the house, will that also be a problem? I can get a little outside shelter for the back garden if the cat is stuck outside in poor weather.

Comments

• speak to Alex Wright.  His Mrs runs a cat rescue scheme or similar
  • I hear that kittens should not be left alone for longer than three hours, and need shedloads of attention until they're about a year old. However with a kitten you have a better chance of getting one you like the look of. A one year old cat/rescue cat would be great I suppose, but according to Mrs Plum it has to be nice looking, and not be a cat with black furry legs with white paws.

I have no catflap in the house, will that also be a problem? I can get a little outside shelter for the back garden if the cat is stuck outside in poor weather.

You don't choose a cat. A cat will choose you.

Get a short-haired one, the fluffier the feline, the more hair you'll be hoovering up.

Cat's are pretty adapable and if it rains when they are outside they'll find somewhere to hole up.

www.icanhascheezburger.com

• I got my cat when he was 2 years old as a rescue case.

He's great (and very handsome) - so don't think that you need to get a kitten; mine was already house trained which is a bonus!

I don't have a catflap, either.  It's not a problem and cats are pretty resilient critters - nine lives and all that!

• edited July 2011
    The best thing to do is get a couple from the same litter, they will keep each other entertained for hours on end.

I have three cats and I live in a first floor flat, we just open the window and they jump up and down in and out of the garden.

Our neighbor's cats has just had a load of kittens and they are about ready to go if you are interested?
  • We got 3 cats from a rescue centre a few months ago. We wanted two kittens, so they could keep each other company whilst we're out at work, but the rescue bods said they don't give kittens to people out at work all day. We agreed to also take the kittens' mother though, and the rescue centre agreed. Three very nervous cats duly arrived the following week and have now thoroughly domesticated us.

We put a catflap into our garage and another from the garage into the house as unfortunately we couldn't get one directly from the house to the outdoors. We got ones that are lockable and can also be set to in only or out only, which we find very helpful. The wife keeps wanting to leave them in the garage overnight but I insist they be allowed in as it's their home too now.

Yes, I am firmly under the paw.
  • I bought a kitten at 5 weeks old. About 4 months ago. Loved him for the 1st couple of months. Now though he is a right little sh*t.

Does laps around the rooms at 100 mph. Jumps on the curtains, sofas kitchen worktops.

He has his own room to sleep in but cries and jumps on the door at 3 in the morning. He cant go out till his had his nuts done which is later on this month. Can't wait to let him out.

Did consider giving him away but I couldn't do it. As nutty as he is and as mad as he makes me he can still be fun and behave at times.
  • With Kittens you normally have to keep them inside until they've had all their jabs.

Just shut them in a room with a litter tray, water and food if you are out for the day it won't be a problem.

My cats normally jump out the window as we don't have a cat flap, they are also used to being locked outside for the day while everyone is at work etc.
  • I bought a kitten at 5 weeks old. About 4 months ago. Loved him for the 1st couple of months. Now though he is a right little sh*t.

Does laps around the rooms at 100 mph. Jumps on the curtains, sofas kitchen worktops.

He has his own room to sleep in but cries and jumps on the door at 3 in the morning. He cant go out till his had his nuts done which is later on this month. Can't wait to let him out.

Did consider giving him away but I couldn't do it. As nutty as he is and as mad as he makes me he can still be fun and behave at times.
    They have a nutty phase, after a few months they chill right out. One of my cats took to climbing up the wall paper, I had to re wallpaper the living room. These days he just like sleeping in the garden, having a bit of a cuddle and occasionally chasing the kitten around for a bit. 
  • Seth

go here:

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=26&MMN_position=35:35

They home in pairs.  Cats, by their nature, are social animals and experience has shown they settle better in pairs or threes.

If you want kittens they will probably suggest you take two along with their mother, especially in the case of very young ones

You will need to get a catflap installed.  The trust are very insistant on this.  They're not expensive and a person of your skills will be able to fit one without any problems.  The alternative is to consider a ferral cat who could possibly live in your garden (given adequate shelter and depending on your location)

Tel: 0208 694 6545 - RESCUE AND REHOMING ENQUIRIES ONLY
    Email: lewisham@celiahammond.org

• BTW

Don't rule out one to two year old cats.  They've got plenty of fun in them too, and kittens grow up VERY quickly.

• Sponsored links:

• My mother is a foster for Celia Hammond and we always have cats that need homes.

If you only want 1 cat you may be able to get an indoor cat (normally a cat with FIV) and quite often there are some that ages 1-2 years.

Would never recommend getting a kitten on it's own regardless of whether someone will be home or not. Adult cat's are more solitary than kittens and they still gravitate to colonies in the wild or other homes with cats if they're domesticated.

You can PM if you want further information although you can tell Alex_Wright knows a lot

• That's where we got ours from. The kittens were 3 months and the mum was 2 years old and she's just as nutty as the other two. :)
  • We rescued a cat from a neighbour a few years back, she was only 4 months old and hid behind our sofa for the first 2 weeks that we had her, we used to entice her out with a bit of chicken tied to a string. Her name is Tipsy (named because the first time she came out of the sofa she decided to walk along the windowsill, and seeing as she hadn't moved much in the 2 weeks she couldn't quite remember how to use her legs, and promptly fell off) 

She's 7 now and sleeps all day, but she's still partial to a bit of door frame climbing whenever it's a bit windy outside. I would say yes to getting a cat, they are less expensive than dogs, won't completely wreck the house if left indoors all day (get them a scratching post though, if you like the way your furniture looks) and they don't need a 2 hour walk when it's a cold and rainy November and all you want to do is sit on the sofa with a nice cuppa
  • I think I made the mistake of getting the kitten on its own and at a very young age. When I first bought him i expected him to be a little playful but most of the time just sleeping and relaxing. Mine drives me insane but he was to cute at 5 weeks and is still cute now
  • edited July 2011
    Our cat definitely chose us, or more to the point, my fiancee who was going round to her Sister's in Belvedere and almost ran over a flea bitten, dehydrated, underweight female kitten sitting in the middle of the road. She took it to her Sister's house and no one laid claim to her in the next few days. We decided to take her in and after a lot of care, attention, jabs and trips to the vets she turned around. Turned out she had a serious case of worms as she'd eaten her own fleas and her intestines were in a total mess. We had to treat these bit by bit as her delicate digestive system couldn't take the stronger worming treatments. She was so skinny we had to feed her boiled chicken four times a day. After anti-biotic jabs, jabs to calm her intestines, worming treatments she got a lot better. She's now been spayed and mirochipped and has outgrown kitten food. We would've had her a year on 3rd August and she turned 1 year in the middle of June and she's a total pickle. She's clawed holes in the carpet by almost all of our doors but I don't think we could ever get rid of her! Her name is Gizmo, funny name for a girl I know but when we found her we thought she was a boy. When we found out we had the wrong sex the name had stuck as she was so tiny and her ears were so enormous. Lol. 
  • NO

Vermin

• Be very aware of rescued cats espeically if you are going to be away from the house during the day.

And be very aware of choosing a cat from a resuce home based on its looks.

• Get a cat mine is lovely :- )
  • Got two rescue cats, both were about two years old when we got them. At least at that age they are house trained, problem is you also inherit bad habits like jumping on the table, knocking the alarm clock on the floor etc. My two couldn't be more different. One is always out and moans like he'll when kept in even when it's pissing down. The other sleeps 23 hours a day except for an odd wander round the garden for ten minutes and the odd break for food. Lobe them both to bits. Get a rescue cat, if you get a kitten it just encourages irresponsible owners to keep breeding for pure financial gain. Foal Farm at Biggin Hill is a good place to look.
  • We have 4 cats - 2 from the Cat Rescue people in Bexleyheath and 2 we found as starving kittens in the Slieve Mish mountains. Kerry farmers are not good with surplus animals.

Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats and periodically need a course of anti histamines to cope with them. But I couldn't imagine being without a cat - had at least 1 everywhere I've lived since I was very young.

• Sponsored links:

• Alex thanks for the advice. Fitting a catflap is not going to happen because of full size double glazed doors. I found this:

http://www.woodenart.org.uk/products.php?product=The-Pent-Outside-Cat-House-Kennel

And thought the cat would ask to go out and come in.

I would much prefer an adult cat, about 1 or 2 years old.

• Cats are great and not to difficult to look after.

http://www.battersea.org.uk/cats/index.html

http://www.battersea.org.uk/cats/kittens.html

Maybe consider rescuing a cat from Battersea dogs and cats home. You can go and take a look online or go and take a look. They are bound to have a cat that fits and you can check out their temperament.

They have a lot of good advice as well on the site.

• Yeah battersea have got a branch in brands hatch i understand.
  • Large Said: Get a rescue cat, if you get a kitten it just encourages irresponsible owners to keep breeding for pure financial gain.

This.

Get them spayed as well, although if they haven't already been the resuce home will almost certainly insist upon it as part of the adoption agreement.

I have three rescue Cats, all are well behaved and healthy. All three have diffferent characters but are all great pets in their own way.

One was about 9 months old when we got him and his sister. Both were incredibly timid when we first got them. Sadly his sister was run over and killed after about 1 year, but after much patience and TLC he has come right out of his shell and is now a very affectionate cat, when he's not fighting with the Big Tom from across the road. We got the other 2 as kittens after the first cat was run over and they are now 3 years old. Kittens are incredibly cute and great fun while they last, but they're only little balls of fluff for a few weeks, after that they look just like adult cats but a bit smaller. You'll also have to house train them which is a ball ache and will need to keep them in until old enough to be spayed (we got ours done a bit ahead of schedule after we came home one day to find brother and sister shagging on the front room window sill!) and as someone has already said, there's still plenty of life left in a 1 year old cat. Our 5 year old is still good for a bit of fun if the mood strikes him. Also, don't get too hung up on looks, it's the cat's personality that'll make you love it. One of ours is a bit boss-eyed and it makes him all the more endearing.

• no .. unless you have rats and/or mice in the house
  • All this bollocks about not giving kittens to people who are at work all day is ridiculous. It's not a dog, for fuck's sake, it's a cat. Altogether I've had nine (including the ones we had when I was a kid) - every single one of them was left on it's own (bar the other cats when we had more than one at a time) for at least six hours a day.

If it's a toss-up between leaving them on their own or putting them down, I know which I'd rather choose.
  • Yep get a cat...i have shared houses with various cats since i was 6 months old..i like cats. :)

• Why don't you get one for Christmas and review the situation a few weeks later ?
  • With NLA.

I have an irrational hatred of them.

Without a doubt the most selfish animal I know of. Will not think twice about upping sticks if it thinks it can get a better deal elsewhere.
  • Alex thanks for the advice. Fitting a catflap is not going to happen because of full size double glazed doors. I found this:

http://www.woodenart.org.uk/products.php?product=The-Pent-Outside-Cat-House-Kennel

And thought the cat would ask to go out and come in.

I would much prefer an adult cat, about 1 or 2 years old.

This looks OK for a shelter but might be a bit on the small side for a full living area Seth.

it's not impossible to have a catflap fitted in your double glazed door.  What they do is replace the glass with new panes that have a catflap already fitted in it.  You even get to keep the original glass in case you ever want to put them back.

It's about £205 - £245 to get this done but, if you were thinking of buying a new outhouse for £100 for the garden this is not much more expensive.

Where do you live these days?

This guy is based in Dartford

http://www.catflapfitter.co.uk/index.html