Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EDIT Top Five British Female singers of the last 30 years

Comments

• Options
    Jentina 

Lady Sovereign

Betty Boo

The bird from "fuzzbox"

Lindy Layton from beats international
    you know what? .. I have never heard of any of them
  • Options
    Siouxsie Sioux
  • Options
    Siouxsie Sioux
    last 30 years?.. Susie is even older than me
  • Options
    As i've only just "discovered indie rock", I have no idea who Harriet Wheeler is, but she has a great voice & released one or two very good songs - Here's Where The Story Ends & Summertime. Not one of the greats, but I like her.
  • Options
    I'd have Duffy in there - surprised she's not been mentioned.
  • Options
    Dusty, Lulu, Bassey, Bush and the Tau Pau bird.
  • Options

Hilda Ogden, boy could she hit them high notes!!

Duffy... well, well, well... don't think so.

• Options
    Dusty, Lulu, Bassey, Bush and the Tau Pau bird.
    last 30 years?.. read the Irving Rules
  • Options

Ruby Turner - probably the most under rated female vocalist this country has ever seen

Joss Stone - not really my type of music but a great voice

Carmel - anyone listing Duffy in their top 5 should check out Carmel on you tube

Joan Armatrading - perhaps a better writer than singer

Wendy James - Well, not really much of a singer but had 'talent' :)

• Options
    If it's top 5 female singers since 1980 ish for me, in no particular order, it's got to be:  Adele, Beverley Knight, Annie Lennox, probably Alison Moyet and Kate Bush.  Amy Winehouse is brilliant but not sure she's quite worthy of being in that list.  Other special mentions to Corinne Bailey Rae, Joan Armatrading (although she probably counts as earlier really) and Ruby Turner.

I saw a Nikki Yanofsky gig recently, 17 year old Canadian jazz singer - breathtakingly good, watch out for her. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ruby Turner - probably the most under rated female vocalist this country has ever seen

Carmel - anyone listing Duffy in their top 5 should check out Carmel on you tube

Mmmm, I had a fantastic black and white poster of a topless Wendy James sadly covering herself with her arm. The stuff teenage dreams are made of. Oh yes.
  • Options
    Kim Wilde
    Kate Bush
    Annie Lennox
    Mel
    Kim
  • Options

Mmmm, I had a fantastic black and white poster of a topless Wendy James sadly covering herself with her arm. The stuff teenage dreams are made of. Oh yes.

one of these?
  • Options
    Joan Armatrading
    Beverley Knight
    Annie Lennox
    Kate Bush
    Adele
  • Options

Just a brief return to this thread to suggest that Joan Armatrading and Kate Bush are arguably seventies and thus more than thirty years.

I know I watched Joan support Bob Dylan at Camberley Blackbush in 1978 and I'm almost 100% sure Wuthering Heights, arguably Kate's signature tune, was released around the same time.

• Options
    Sporty Spice
    Posh Spice
    Scary Spice
    Baby Spice
    Ginger Spice
  • Options

Sarah Cracknell
    Toni Halliday
    Meriel Barham
    Sarah Martin
    Clare Grogan
  • Options
    Joss Stone - good call! I think when they do a film of the Led Zep story she should play Robert Plant.

(I have been drinking!).
  • Options
    Joanne Shaw Taylor: Great Blues singer guitarist
    Joss Stone.....Saw her live on Breakfast tv last week, with Dave Stewart.
    Kate Bush who brought out an album 70 days ago Len, (but because of her songwriting)
    Claire Martin:Top Jazz singer, lovely unassumming major talent in the USA, who sang in a bar for 12 people in Brighton, the following month played at the Albert hall
    Elkie Brooks : who I missed at the Blackheath Concert hall in June, and for a 60 year old plus, is still a cut above 99 percent off all others around according to a friend.

• Options
    jo from s club 7
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my opinion I would rank Winehouse behind only Sade in that list. But only just. There is no doubt she would have gone on to eclipse Sade. The lyrics she wrote, the way she sang those lyrics and the way she lived her life are all so redolent of  Bessie Smith.
  • Options

Alison Moyet

Ruby Turner

Imelda May

Jaqui O'Sullivan

PJ Harvey

• Options
    Someone that I have appreciated since her death is Nina Simone, I have also realised what a great singer Matt Monroe was. I suppose a bit like Van Gogh who apparently only sold one painting in his lifetime. No doubt that Amy Whitehouse will now be appreciated for her enormous talent rather than concentrating upon her failings. Gives me hope that my incredible singing voice and lovable personality will one day be fully appreciated.
  • Options
    Kate Bush
    Annie Lennox
    Louise Wener (from Sleeper)
    Gabrielle
    Lisa Stansfield

Including the last two because they sold a ton of records and no one has mentioned them. Chrissie Hynde would go into my top 3 if she's allowed - yes she is American but has spent most of her career in the UK.
  • Options

Kate Bush

Hazel O'Conner (O.K. last 31 years)

Kate Nash

Alf

Lisa Stansfield

Maggie Magoo the flatulating mute

Amy Winehouse

• Options

one of these?
    Oh my, yes the very first one.  Wow, that takes me back.  Just popping to the gents, don't wait for me... ;)
  • Options

Ruby Turner

Sam Brown

Sade

Lulu

Cilla Black ; )

• Options
    Without doubt Heather Small
  • Options

Rikofold - Carmel, top choice

Kate Bush has got to be in with a shout as well

• Options

P J Harvey has to be in there somewhere. Brilliant song writer and a  Huge influence on a lot of people.