Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

wagstaff to Burnley ?

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
Rumour circulating, bit out of left field

Comments

• Options
    Good honest lad but no real great loss in my opinion if true. Money could be used on more effective player.
  • Options
    Good honest lad but no real great loss in my opinion if true. Money could be used on more effective player.

Agreed
  • Options
    has this rumour come from anywhere but football rumours?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Does anyone here frequent football rumours? If so, would they mind awfully just monitoring any threads regarding player moves concerning Charlton and letting us all know whether they had their genesis on FR? That way anyone with an IQ above that of a grapefruit could just ignore those posts straight off the bat and leave them to all the other schoolchildren to obsess over.

Not saying this is definitely the case here, but would be nice to know for future reference
  • Options
    has this rumour come from anywhere but football rumours?
    That's what I thought. Anyone seen or heard it elsewhere?

Got to keep him. Not convinced the best way to use him is at right midfield, or even anywhere in a 4-4-2. He could be very effective in time.

It's true he hasn't got a great cross and neither is he good at beating a defender, but he's not an out and out winger. He needs others to offer that creative side. Most of his starts were in a team that created little and so he's been one of the players expected to create the chances.

Find a way to use him and he'll score goals, get a few assists and offer something on the defensive side that a lot of wide players don't.
  • Options
    this is the same rumour that came with burnley signing adam smith on a bosman. 

same adam smith who signed a 3 year contract few weeks back.
    don't see legs to this.
  • Options
    Will run him there if he needs a lift.
  • Options

What a strange comment

He's young, home grown, extremely fast, great eye for a goal and seems pretty loyal to us. Definitely not the sort of player we want is he......give me unproven overpaid mercenaries any day of the week

• Options
    the kid has bundles of energy and enthusiasm and his goals return last year is mightily impressive
    but i just dont think he has a good touch or cross so as it stands think he's a squad member
    even if he played up front i think he has a headless chicken feel to him when he plays
    would rather keep him as a squad memeber than release but if we receive any sort of money from 200k up i'd be happy to sell
  • Options

We shouldnt sell him TBH, he has improved in every season , Scores goals, a willing trier to go past at each opportunity, and he is ours and loves us ,

Some of the comments on here are just to strange for words

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The curse of the shirt sponsorship strikes again.
  • Options
    What NLA said.

Charlton Eyes
  • Options
    At the moment he's a League One player, Burnley won't be interested. I would like to see him play him up front in a friendly, perhaps against Bromley as he's fast and has a good finisher. I would be disappointed to see another academy player go.
  • Options
    Very surprised at the amount of stick Waggy gets on here. We could have Messi in the team, and he'd still be criticised.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This is make or break year imho for Waggy he's a Charlton boy through and through with pace and bags of enthusiasm but he is such a frustrating player when he runs down blind alleys with littlle end product. It seems that when he scores he will then follow it with four or five quiet games. Consistency is the key this year for him but from what I saw at Welling and reports from Woking indicates that it might be much of the same. The management have their work cut out in more ways than one but keep him and try and get the best out of him.
  • Options
    What thread shall I make today...

Step 1: Select random Charlton player - Wagstaff selected.

Step 2: Select random football club that are set to sign him - Burnley selected.

Step 3: Pretend the rumour has substance and hope lots of people bite - not quite achieved.
  • Options

I wont enter the debate as to how good he is.

What I will say is that I couldnt give a jot whether he is an academy player or not. It makes no difference to me, and I can't understand people saying "he is one of our own, lets not sell him). Either he is good enough, or he is not. End of.

• Options
    Waggy can obviously score goals but as a winger he constantly disappoints for me, fails to beat his man and his crossing doesn't either sometimes. Countless times last season I forgot he was playing as he spent 45 minutes doing nothing.

Needs to work on his game alot this season as otherwise he's going to spending alot of it bench warming for Green

• Options
    Very surprised at the amount of stick Waggy gets on here. We could have Messi in the team, and he'd still be criticised.
    Messi? Not tall enough.
  • Options

I like Waggy but feel the Green signing may mean his chances would be fewer this season. I'd like to see him stay.

Although 'leftfield' he did spend time on loan with Bournemouth a couple of seasons ago so Howe would know him .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Extraordinary. What exactly has he done to offend you, other than not quite being Barcelona standard? He understandably tailed off after a very productive first half of last season - his first full season in the first team. Things to work on of course but what a ludicrous thing to say about a young home-grown player who gives nothing short of 100% in every game.
  • Options
    He's the kind of guy who wakes up in the morning and cant believe his luck that he gets to play football for a living.

He's fast, skillfull, has a great cross on him and is still very young.

He still has a lot to offer Charlton so unless it's very good money, what't the point?

Plus he's a really nice guy who always has time for us fans.

I'm with Joe. This board has become a bit silly recently.
  • Options

He's the kind of guy who wakes up in the morning and cant believe his luck that he gets to play football for a living.

He's fast, skillfull, has a great cross on him and is still very young.

He still has a lot to offer Charlton so unless it's very good money, what't the point?

Plus he's a really nice guy who always has time for us fans.

I'm with Joe. This board has become a bit silly recently.
    I with you nearly on all of that except he hasnt got a great cross!!
  • Options

Don’t get what most have against Waggy, He is a good league 1 player. The competition with Green may really spur him on this year and make him a better player.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If we are going to get promotion this year then we need options and Waggy coming on either right mid, left mid or up top for 20 odd minutes and running at tired defenders may turn draws into wins and defeats in two draws.

• Options
    He would be one that I would want to keep, instead of letting go.
    He did have a weak second half of the season,  and linked up well with Solly in the team.
    He seems to have dissapointed quite a few on here?......
    If  he does not develop pre Christmas then is the time to sell him, with so many new faces in the team I do have my reservations about wholesale change?
  • Options
    He'll need replacing if he goes as Green and the strikers will need competition. Who would we replace him with?

Anyone on loan would expect to play regularly. There can't be many players out there who are better than Wagstaff that will be happy starting as second choice and having to fight for a place.
  • Options
    Wouldn't want him to go, every time I've seen him play gives everything he's got, whether things are going well, badly or even if he comes off the bench. Never seen him throw his toys out the pram if he's a sub. Blimey some people living in cloud cuckoo land on here. He's improved immensely.
  • Options
    Quite like him and think he will only get better over the next few years - depends how much we can get for him though.
  • Options
    If true, this could be the fall out of the Benson deal falling through - we obviously have strikers lined up but maybe need to sell before we buy? 
  • Options
    Wouldn't want him to go, every time I've seen him play gives everything he's got, whether things are going well, badly or even if he comes off the bench. Never seen him throw his toys out the pram if he's a sub. Blimey some people living in cloud cuckoo land on here. He's improved immensely.
    This!!!