Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

wagstaff to Burnley ?

Comments

• Options
    Only let him go for serious money, he is a good player, and especially weighs in with goals, imho he will get even better.
  • Options
    Last season in a friendly against Welling, an abiding memory is of Waggy and Solly belting down the wing displaying very accurate one two passing. They were accustomed to playing together and it showed, but his confidence and flair were noteworthy, and the fitness levels were awesome.  I can't help but feel that it would be an error to draw any firm conclusions about Waggy from the dysfunctional team performances of last season. Waggy's performances were disappointing, but I hope he will be given a bit more time to shine in what will hopefully be a very different season.
  • Options
    oh my. can i remind everyone at this moment this rumor is only from football rumors?  
  • Options
    I like Scott, think he a bit of a poor mans Johnny Robinson, but he's not going to be a starter with Green in the side, I'm not convinced by this idea he's going to do the Steven Gerrard free role thing, and can't see him as an option on the left with Jackson and Evina there. 

Hard call this, and if Burnley do stump up over £500k, then maybe it's a good move for all involved.
  • Options
    If he goes to someone like Burnley it'd get me close to losing interest.  The first player in quite a few years from our youth team who looks like he can be a complete player for us.  Yes OK his crossing can be erratic, but he's also skinned full back and put in differing types of good crosses.

His energy is excellent, his desire is the best for years of our young players.  Yes he had an awful introduction to the first team, one which could have destroyed many a player.  OK so he got his head when we were falling apart, but every season he improves.  His timing with shooting can be beautiful at times.  He's willing to take things early and attack space centrally and directly.  On a bad day still works hard to cover his area and full back.  Frankly within a season, he showed an adaptability and defensive capability that took Sam around four seasons.  With a midfield that could press further up the field - which we haven't had post prem - his athleticism will be crucial in the breakdown.

I'm always happy to see two different types of wingers, one that can ping balls in all day and one that can pacily attack gaps during gaps and breakdowns.  Maybe Green can do both, but it seems he certainly pings a great ball in.  Waggy on the left, cutting in and shooting with his right, plus attack minded left backs is great for a tight midfield.

I've been saying it since the early days we've been in League One, Waggy is a massive talent.  There are few in the champ with his capabilites, let alone league one.  Considering how utterly inconsistent Robinson and Newton were with their crosses, I find it pretty uncharitable to not see the improvement Waggy has made in the last three seasons.  Six assists and eight goals, is pretty damn good for a 20-21 year old.  With Stephens and Jackson able to quickly hit a breaking winger, I can only imagine it getting better.
  • Options
    We could all be getting wound up over nothing with this one , lets hope so.
  • Options
    i think its not true that all!!!!!!
  • Options
    i think its not true that all!!!!!!
    Agree
  • Options
    Does anyone remember Powell's first game in charge of us. Wagstaff played just behind the striker and was brilliant imo. i've said it before, Wagstaff is not a winger.
  • Options

Does anyone remember Powell's first game in charge of us. Wagstaff played just behind the striker and was brilliant imo. i've said it before, Wagstaff is not a winger.

This!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep his running and closing down caused the GK to make the mistake for the first goal.
  • Options
    Waggy bashing seems very popular on this forum but I cannot understand it. Last season I struggle to come up with another Charlton player who put in more effort than Scott, not to mention scored a few goals. Yes there are aspects of his game he needs to work on but show me a player of his age that this can't be said about! Most important thing for me has always been passion. Give me 100% every week and I'll cheer you when you come off the pitch, no matter what. A better player who doesn't give a toss? No thanks.
  • Options

Waggy should stay, he is a work in progress and over the last few seasons he has improved.

I would be surprised if he goes!

• Options
    Extraordinary. What exactly has he done to offend you, other than not quite being Barcelona standard? He understandably tailed off after a very productive first half of last season - his first full season in the first team. Things to work on of course but what a ludicrous thing to say about a young home-grown player who gives nothing short of 100% in every game.

Your called Paddy7 so you should get it. 
    Players like Wagstaff and Sam are constant reminders to me that we have fallen from grace. I appreciate a lot disagree, but that's my view.

Never slag them off, never scream abuse, just not for me.
  • Options
    What thread shall I make today...

Step 1: Select random Charlton player - Wagstaff selected.

Step 2: Select random football club that are set to sign him - Burnley selected.

Step 3: Pretend the rumour has substance and hope lots of people bite - not quite achieved.

Didn't realise when I posted this up it stemmed from Football Rumours, just noticed a fair bit of chat on Twitter about it. Perhaps there is nothing in it then
  • Options
    If he goes to someone like Burnley it'd get me close to losing interest.  The first player in quite a few years from our youth team who looks like he can be a complete player for us.  Yes OK his crossing can be erratic, but he's also skinned full back and put in differing types of good crosses.

His energy is excellent, his desire is the best for years of our young players.  Yes he had an awful introduction to the first team, one which could have destroyed many a player.  OK so he got his head when we were falling apart, but every season he improves.  His timing with shooting can be beautiful at times.  He's willing to take things early and attack space centrally and directly.  On a bad day still works hard to cover his area and full back.  Frankly within a season, he showed an adaptability and defensive capability that took Sam around four seasons.  With a midfield that could press further up the field - which we haven't had post prem - his athleticism will be crucial in the breakdown.

I'm always happy to see two different types of wingers, one that can ping balls in all day and one that can pacily attack gaps during gaps and breakdowns.  Maybe Green can do both, but it seems he certainly pings a great ball in.  Waggy on the left, cutting in and shooting with his right, plus attack minded left backs is great for a tight midfield.

I've been saying it since the early days we've been in League One, Waggy is a massive talent.  There are few in the champ with his capabilites, let alone league one.  Considering how utterly inconsistent Robinson and Newton were with their crosses, I find it pretty uncharitable to not see the improvement Waggy has made in the last three seasons.  Six assists and eight goals, is pretty damn good for a 20-21 year old.  With Stephens and Jackson able to quickly hit a breaking winger, I can only imagine it getting better.
    Great post. Agree 100% with everything you have said.
  • Options
    I'm in no way shape or form saying this will happen but IF Burnley have bid £900k and Waggy wants to go, who are we to stand in his way?
  • Options
    I'm in no way shape or form saying this will happen but IF Burnley have bid £900k and Waggy wants to go, who are we to stand in his way?
    Don't think we should stand in his way but that is a big difference from wishing him gone.

Like it or not we are still on a tight playing budget and that is a huge amount of money so I wouldn't blame the Club for taking it.

I don't put any substance in this rumour.  I think he'll stay and he'll give Green a run for his money this season.
  • Options

Waggy is one to keep as he works hard in an effort to improve and is thus capable of growing with the club.

He is also capable of playing in more than one position which is not to be under estimated.

• Options
    50+ comments on something that appeared on that god awful football rumours site.  I despair,  I really do!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wouldnt want to see him go think he has a big future with us, has shown massive imporvements over the past 2 years and i'd want to keep him for atleast another yr because if he improves as much this yr as he did last then we have got a great player on our hands....... but can we replace him with someone better for £1 million, probably

I'm still in the 'play him up front' group, think he'd be quality up up

• Options
    Not going to bother discussing the rumour, but I think Waggy probably works best as an impact sub. He seemed to go through a phase where we'd bring him on and he'd score, but then be pretty poor when given a start the next game. he's probably the fittest player we have, as he demonstrated against Orient away where he basically dragged us back into the game and you can never fault him for effort. I'd always be happy to see him in the matchday squad, he's a good pro.I'd rather watch him run his heart out for 90 minutes than watch the likes of Kyel Reid slouch around the pitch for 85 and give 5 minutes of effort
  • Options
    50+ comments on something that appeared on that god awful football rumours site.  I despair,  I really do!!
    You've got to love pre-season!
  • Options
    Burnley is a god awful dump.
  • Options
    You've got to love pre-season!
    I certainly wont be adding to this nonsense.
    Oh..... wait....
  • Options
    This is almost as good as the Sol Campbell one.
  • Options
    IN: Robbie Keane & Sol Campbell
    OUT: Wagstaff (Burnley £1m)

That Footy Rumours site should be shut down!
  • Options
    Robbie Keane......hilarious!
  • Options
    Rumour circulating, bit out of left field

A player who can score 10 plus goals from midfield should be in demand.
  • Options
    I'd rather have fans put their poison on a site like this than shout negative crap at the game.
    Maybe Charlton Life is like the wasps jam jar. 
    Surprised at Golfie mind as he normally says good stuff.
    I like Waggy. He gets the ball and shifts and scares teams. Plus he has a cool strike n'all.