Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EDL

Were the English Defence League handing out flyers at the game last night?

I got there late and they were all over Floyd Road and the bloke sitting in front of me was reading one.

Comments

• Options
    Yup, passing them out outside the kebab shop.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    Why does anyone had leaflets out?

Was good to see most of them had been dropped on the floor.
  • Options
    Yeah, got one handed to me before I saw what it was.  Dropped it as soon as I saw the title.  Bloke handing them out had a bit of a go at me about it.

Thought it was particularly tasteless given their alleged connections to the Norwegian terrorist.
  • Options
    Hopefully the fact the Norwegian gunman was a supporter and had been on marches will have destroyed what little credibility they ever had...
  • Options
    Their original aim is a valid one, to tackle islamic extremism...although I don't think they are the right group to tackle it and they have attracted the general idiots that dislike anything non-white and can't string a sentence together.
  • Options

Yup, passing them out outside the kebab shop.

A very ironic place for an anti-immigrant group to be handing out leaflets!

Surely, the local chippy would have been far more appropriate.....

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZCaWH96xw

Is pretty funny and should give a decent idea of the people who buy into this stuff.
  • Options
    ^ lol was just about to post that myself
  • Options
    Their original aim is a valid one, to tackle islamic extremism...although I don't think they are the right group to tackle it and they have attracted the general idiots that dislike anything non-white and can't string a sentence together.
    Most extremism is worth 'tackling' isn't it? There are a lot of Islamic people into love and peace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The scum bag in Norway actually slagged them off in page after page in his ramblings- the fact that they actually stood up to other Far RIght white only  groups  he hated.

If no one will give a voice for the people of England then the  far right will,its the way they work.

• Options
    Most extremism is worth 'tackling' isn't it? There are a lot of Islamic people into love and peace.
    Where did I say different?

• Options
    If no one will give a voice for the people of England then the  far right will,its the way they work.
    agree, they pretend to be "giving a voice to the people of England" when in reality only a tiny fraction of the people of England ever have or ever will support them (just like the far left).

The video sums them up. That's their press officer!
  • Options
    agree, they pretend to be "giving a voice to the people of England" when in reality only a tiny fraction of the people of England ever have or ever will support them (just like the far left).

I think he is actually their director of public policy, he's probably one of the brighter ones.

These sorts of groups - and we have them here in Australia too - typically attract life's failures who are desperate to blame someone/something else for their lack of upward mobility.

The Tea Party in the US is another classic example of this trend.

• Options
    Didn't this happen 70 odd years ago in Germany? The powers that be sitting in ivory towers ignoring the majority of the population and their woes? The disenfranchised becoming restless and a far right wing group picking up the mantle, finding a scapegoat to blame all the country's ills on, which suited the government until it was too late...    
  • Options

Seth you may very well be right, but why dont the "anti facists" ever march etc against the muslim exremists ? you know the poppy burners , the ones that slag home coming troups etc the ones that want shira law in the UK ?  these people are far more "facist" .

The issue is that the English have been treated like sh*t by Labour for donkeys years and no better by this load of crap. I quote " Labour lied to people about the extent of immigration and illigal immigartion.Labour viewed working class people as an obsticle,racist ,resistant to change. So you had a terrible siruation where a Labour government were hostile to the ENGLISH working class"- who said that ? Maurice Glassman   Red Ed Millbands speach writer !!

Whilst people may see the EDL as just a buch of football herberts after a punch up, it dosnt get away from the fact the the English need to have a voice. Two more groups who arnt violent The English Democrats and CEP  ( Campagn For English Parliament).

• Options
    Where did I say different?

You didn't.

They have been particulaly selective regarding Islam,

The Nazis were particularly selective regarding Judaism.

• Options
    edited July 2011

Seth you may very well be right, but why dont the "anti facists" ever march etc against the muslim exremists ? you know the poppy burners , the ones that slag home coming troups etc the ones that want shira law in the UK ?  these people are far more "facist" .

The issue is that the English have been treated like sh*t by Labour for donkeys years and no better by this load of crap. I quote " Labour lied to people about the extent of immigration and illigal immigartion.Labour viewed working class people as an obsticle,racist ,resistant to change. So you had a terrible siruation where a Labour government were hostile to the ENGLISH working class"- who said that ? Maurice Glassman   Red Ed Millbands speach writer !!

Whilst people may see the EDL as just a buch of football herberts after a punch up, it dosnt get away from the fact the the English need to have a voice. Two more groups who arnt violent The English Democrats and CEP  ( Campagn For English Parliament).

You say I may  well be right that lots of Muslims are into love and peace. There are so many Muslims in the world I reckon statistically alone I am right.

If what you say is more accurate then the EDL should be marching against the much bigger institution of the Labour party rather than the comparative handful of Islamic nutters.

• Options
    I'm English, working class and I've got a voice and it's certainly not the EDL, BNP or any of the other hate groups from the far right.

And no, GH I don't read the Guardian and I'm not a labour supporter either
  • Options
    I'm English, working class and I've got a voice and it's certainly not the EDL, BNP or any of the other hate groups from the far right.

Monster Raving Loony Party! Eh Henners?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Problem with the EDL matching against the Labour Party is that it's difficult to tell who they are... whereas, you can spot a muslim by the colour of his skin or the clothes he wears. That kind of group will always go for the easy target, due to the intelligence of their followers.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've been keeping an eye on EDL since its roots in Luton which involved 'football casuals'. Basic message is We hate Muslims so its just another addition to the loose group of British Fascist organisations, which has been regrouping for some years and trying the usual various weasel ways and words to appear respectable. The EDL doesn't have membership so it relies on the  internet and football crowds to attract its supporters ( and hence funding).  
  • Options

Monster Raving Loony Party! Eh Henners?
    Too sensible for me!  : - )

No, never belonged to any political party.
  • Options
    Didn't this happen 70 odd years ago in Germany? The powers that be sitting in ivory towers ignoring the majority of the population and their woes? The disenfranchised becoming restless and a far right wing group picking up the mantle, finding a scapegoat to blame all the country's ills on, which suited the government until it was too late...    
    Perry mate

I think the population of Germany at the time had a bit more to worry about in their daily lives than the a current average UK citizen

I think he is actually their director of public policy, he's probably one of the brighter ones.

These sorts of groups - and we have them here in Australia too - typically attract life's failures who are desperate to blame someone/something else for their lack of upward mobility.

The Tea Party in the US is another classic example of this trend.

Agree with you Ormiston. And to be fair this works for extremists on both sides of the spectrum. When I was at Uni...a looong time ago - the extremists were left wing, but the more I studied them the more I concluded that most of them just desperately needed something to belong to, and particularly a route to be successful with the opposite sex, which they otherwise were not.
  • Options
    Hitler promised poor people bread in 1933.

Netto has a loaf for 20p in 2011.
  • Options

Whilst people may see the EDL as just a buch of football herberts after a punch up, it dosnt get away from the fact the the English need to have a voice.

What are they then?

• Options
    edited July 2011

This idea that the English are discriminated against in their own country is the classic Straw Man argument - and it has been going on for decades.

The genius of the right-wingers is to convince the majority of the population that it is they themselves that are being discriminated against and that minorities are getting preferential treatment.

How anyone can say that white English people don't get their say is a joke beyond parody, have a look at the Houses of Parliament - how many black/Asian faces do you see there? Then try the Cabinet, seems to be rather a lot of white Englishman in there as well.

Have a look at the national press, the only mildly left-wing papers are the declining Mirror and the Guardian, the vast majority of the press is hard-right with the likes of The Sun and The Daily Mail - the top two papers in the market - feeding their readers fears that they are being "persecuted" by someone else, with Muslims being the latest to blame.

Have a look at the corporate world, how many black/Asian faces do you see there? Not a lot, the vast majority of board-rooms are dominated by white English people, usually men.

And yet people have the nerve to say that white English people are not getting fair representation? White English people already dominate politics, the media and the business world - how much more representation do they actually want?

No, the fact of the matter is that all of this is fuelled by resentment from some poor, working-class white English people that their lives are shit so somebody else needs to be held responsible for that because they themselves sure aren't taking the blame for it, they never do.

The problem is - and this is also the case in America - that the types of jobs that were historically filled by the white working-class  (especially males) have gone forever to markets where labour is much, much cheaper and more productive and these people have nothing really to offer the new economy which is dominated by service industries.

This is not to say that the last Labour government did not make a huge bollocks of the entire immigration debate - they basically bottled it - but it is to say that even if we had seen no immigration at all over the last 15 years that the lives of these unemployed white working classes would not be any better.

Why? It's simply that these people in many, many cases have nothing to offer the modern economy of the UK and are therefore destined to experience lower living standards than previous generations enjoyed, its very sad to say that but its an uncomfortable truth.

• Options
    I saw a bunch of spotty teenage herberts at the train station a few weeks ago in EDL hoodies. "Aw bless, the master race are going on a school trip," I thought. If ever these far right nutters started to look a genuine threat, a la Mosley's blackshirts, the British working class would rise up and crush them. At the moment, as they are just a disorganised rabble of morons, people put up with them and treat them as the sideshow they are. The worrying thing is the people of Norway probably thought the same thing about their neo-Nazis too. Luckily there's only one Breivik/McVeigh/Copeland type for every ten thousand plus "Muslamic rayguns" types.
  • Options
    Great post Ormiston.
  • Options

Why is everyone always spouting rubbish about the 'English' not having a voice. You have the same voice as everyone else and you elect your representative every five years to speak on your behalf. I hope no one who believes this is among the large percentage who didn't vote at the last election...

To suggest the poor 'middle aged white man' is being left behind is utter rubbish and only serves to fuel this kind of hatred.

That they were handing out leaflets at The Valley last night is truely shocking. Above all others, our club should be standing up to them and shouting No as loud as possible. We are THE family club. We are THE inventors of kick racism out of football. We are THE last team that these people should be targeting.

And (hopefully) so say all of us.