Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FourFourTwo Season Preview = Charlton's Predicted finishing place

Comments

• Options
    You'd hope 442 would buy it. But they won't.
  • Options
    So good to see Gary Birtles with egg on his face. Terrible commentator.
    I watched him give evidence in the Paul Elliot/Dean Saunders case. Came across as a complete tosser and was great to see him get ripped to shreds in the stand. Lost his temper at one point when it was pointed out he was actually contradicting himself.
  • Options
    I cant stand the bloke.. Everytime he comments on our games he always goes for the opposition. I saw one game (play off against swindon) when he saud Llera should have been sent off in a first half challenge.. it was yellow at most then went on about it for the next 5 mins. Opposing player does the same challenge he states "oh.. that was un an unfortunate accidental challenge.. total tosser". Complete know. He is like that on every game we play. Always says bad things about us (when he seems to remember there are actually 2 teams playing !!)
  • Options
    How 442 or any journalist can make an informed prediction before the transfer window opens is beyond me.

The upside of it, is that it will give an extra kick for the team to prove themselves in League One.

• Options
    Ha, Ha. Long day. That should read Championships.
  • Options
    When is the next prediction then guys?
  • Options
    How 442 or any journalist can make an informed prediction before the transfer window opens is beyond me.

The upside of it, is that it will give an extra kick for the team to prove themselves in League One.

I don't think 4-4-2 has much influence in the team's results.
  • Options
    Have they done this again or have they given up trying to predict?
  • Options
    I love getting the new season edition and reading it on holiday. It's become a bit of a habit of mine!

Hope they've got us to finish in the relegation slots ahain
  • Options
    Predicted we'll finish 3rd, largely on the bavk of thinking Russell Slade is decent. Mentions decent signings in Novak, Ajose and Holmes but nothing about departures or the thin squad.

Tips Millwall to win the league, which sadly I think will prove much closer to accurate come the end of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

Experts, pah! What do they know? We're going to storm the league, storm it I tell yee!

Prescient, I tell you, prescient. What's your prediction for this season?
  • Options
    The 'Great Goals Retold' is a good one this month too!
  • Options
    Wow - I remember that goal. What a strike.

No chance of that happening now. It would require a forward pass for one thing.
  • Options
    Sadly, that could happen. I think we'll do better than that but two or three injuries of the more important players, Robinson sacked and a no mark brought in and we might be begging for as high as 13th.

I'd take Gillingham at 24th all day long though!
  • Options
    You could play with the table all day long when it comes to EFL. PL sadly a hell of a lot more predictable, bar the Leicester freak story
  • Options
    Having taken so little interest in league football during the close season, can someone explain what has happened at Bristol Rovers?
  • Options
    Harsh, think we'll improve but by how much is anybodies guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we're better than 13th.
  • Options
    12th
  • Options
    2nd
  • Options
    Fact is no ones got a Scooby. It'll take weeks before a pattern emerges and then there's injuries etc to consider.
  • Options
    Somewhere between 7th and 12th unless we have a favourable injury record in which case top 6 could be on.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Saying a major injury to a key player could derail the whole season is probably true for almost all sides at this level - it's League 1, clubs can't carry huge squads full of high quality players. I think our first XI has serious promotion potential and we have an above average squad depth, but there are definitely areas we can carry injuries more easily than others.

I think we'll finish top 6 and automatic promotion is not beyond us. I think top 6 is a fair an realistic expectation though, and even if we don't get promoted it'll be significant progress in the right direction. There be will scope to complete a proper rebuild next summer when a lot more players are out of contract than were this summer - hopefully we'll be rebuilding for a first season back in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    We finished 13th last season and we were very poor for large parts, and we were so far behind in comparison to where we are now, 12 months ago.

There's no way I can see us finishing 13th, in my opinion, shows how little they know. I mean, Bristol Rovers in 3rd, come off it, what are they smoking? Also, with the players Bury have got in, and having a manager who knows the league, there's no way I can see them doing as bad as 18th. Some shocking ones in that table I believe.

Top 6 minimum for us.
  • Options

Saying a major injury to a key player could derail the whole season is probably true for almost all sides at this level - it's League 1, clubs can't carry huge squads full of high quality players. I think our first XI has serious promotion potential and we have an above average squad depth, but there are definitely areas we can carry injuries more easily than others.

I think we'll finish top 6 and automatic promotion is not beyond us. I think top 6 is a fair an realistic expectation though, and even if we don't get promoted it'll be significant progress in the right direction. There be will scope to complete a proper rebuild next summer when a lot more players are out of contract than were this summer - hopefully we'll be rebuilding for a first season back in the Championship.

Agree with this and Sage's post. If we add Reeves and another goalkeeper, we should be targeting automatic promotion.

I suspect the thinking is "with Charlton under this regime any number of crazy things could happen," which is true, but the margin of error for a lot of clubs (even the well run ones) at this level is very thing.
  • Options

Having taken so little interest in league football during the close season, can someone explain what has happened at Bristol Rovers?

They were bought a year or two back but Jordanian billionaires so have plenty of money. Not sure who they have bought in this summer but they did beat West Brom in their last PSF.