Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The big broken Charlton badge on the back of the north stand.

Comments

• It was made by Dartford Composites (strangely enough in Dartford, Watling Street, where the old football ground used to be) my mate worked for them at the time. Dont think they are there anymore.
  • Okay. I'm just in a hair-splitting mood. ;-)
  • Okay. I'm just in a hair-splitting mood. ;-)
    :-)
  • Not a good advert for their work if it falls apart in less than 10 years - hiring the crane probably cost more than producing the badge! http://www.dartfordcomposites.co.uk/arch.shtml
  • Not a good advert for their work if it falls apart in less than 10 years
    If they're based in Dartford, they're probably Millwall, so they might have designed it to fall apart on purpose.

• Says it's made from Portland Stone on their site.
  • If the Club do take it down and replace it do you think they'd let me auction the old one on here?

Well, you never know : - )
  • Not a good advert for their work if it falls apart in less than 10 years - hiring the crane probably cost more than producing the badge! http://www.dartfordcomposites.co.uk/arch.shtml
    If my memory is correct, there was a crack in it from the day it went up.  I did used to think it looked good though.
  • Not a good advert for their work if it falls apart in less than 10 years
    If they're based in Dartford, they're probably Millwall, so they might have designed it to fall apart on purpose.

To be fair i heard a while back that the damage was actually done by funky herberts throwing bricks at it. Might be wrong though. Rumour mill and all that................
  • Emailed the club today to ask if their are any plans to refurb the badge. Will see what they come back with and hopefully we can raise a contribution towards the cost of it.

• Sponsored links:

• Did the badge at Sparrows Lane get repaired when they refurbished, does anyone know?
  • Not sure DRF.

I reckon it would be an idea for the club to have a "Volunteers Required" section on the OS or even through Twitter where they could put stuff that needs doing around the stadium and in particular the training ground where the club could highlight stuff that needs doing and fans with the time and inclination could get involved.

Things like painting the changing rooms etc that probably get pushed to the bottom of the priority pile in terms of club expenditure but wouldnt take a lot of time or effort from a group of fans and would result in them feeling involved and a more professional perception about the place.

Bit like what they do with the seat cleaning but on a smaller more regular scale.

• Oh I thought that volunter thing was specifically volunteering to clean seats!
  • Massive shame to see it in this state. My dad and I were quite proud of it when it first went up.
  • I know what you mean Rodders about folks volenteering to do these jobs, but it would only be okay if the people you get to do the painting are "professional" decorators willing to give up some spare time. I'm sure there's plenty of supporters full of good intentions but with no skills in certain departments. A fresh coat of paint can actually make the place look worse if not done to a high enough standard.
  • Its a bit weird the way its deteriorated from being fresh in the Prem, to being in our 3rd season in League 1. 
    maybe it will gradually repair itself if we get promoted  haha ;) 
  • edited August 2011

Got a response from the club today (very impressed how quickly they got back to me to be honest).

I have posted the main part of the  response I received below but in summary it needs a complete overhaul and would likely cost in the region of £50k and understandably money is probably better spent elsewhere by the club at present.

A lot more than I had expected. I would be up for donating something towards it ie £50 but then it would take a fair few of us at that price! ;-)

Thanks for your email regarding the poor state of the club logo on the rear of
    the north stand.

When the Club did the snagging on the north stand with Birse Stadia , a range of
    remedial works were identified on the logo (crack across it) and the patrons
    panel below (frame defective).

Unfortunately during this period, Birse went bankrupt (nothing to do us honestly
    !) and the sub-contractor who did the installation would not return to the site
    as they had not been paid by Birse.

We have contacted various companies, who have tried a number of temporary
    repairs, but the bottom line is we need to remove the existing logo and replace
    it with a new fibre glass one, and also replace the patrons panel .

The costs to manufacture a new badge and patrons panel, plus the installation
    look to be in the region of  £50k mark, and at the present time the club has a
    number of more pressing financial issues."

• Thats a lot of money.  I think CL did really well to get to £3,000 in shirt sponsorship - but £50,000 is in a different league (like we would probably need to be to afford it!).  Sounds like a real campaign is needed (bit like a church roof repair fund) to get that sort of money and it would take a long time!
  • Yes that is a lot of money and probably something a long way down the list of priorities. Tho it really is rubbish looking as walk/drive past it most days.

We need to find that anonymous donor who coughed up and paid for the Sam Bartram statue to be finished.

• 50 large seems a hell of a lot of money for that!

Might be best to rip it off and stick a plastic one up... solves the elf and safety issue!
  • Sponsored links:

• must say, i've always been impressed by the badge - i reckon the best solution is to take it down and replace it with a cheaper, but more traditional and hard wearing one and if we re establish ourself in the big time, maybe we can look to have another unique on like that. Maybe, this one could be auctioned off? It's possible there could be a rich entrepreneur fan who might have it removed, put on his own building and pay for the new one and with a bit of kudos thrown in. Again, only a suggestion.

• All Auction items now start at £2k each.  Hope that doesn't put any one off from bidding

Well done Rodders, can't fault the Club on the swift response and openness.  Now if they would only tell us who owns the Club are failing that the squad numbers : - )

Might be best to rip it off and stick a plastic one up... solves the elf and safety issue!

50k is for the fibre glass replacement isnt it?

• must say, i've always been impressed by the badge - i reckon the best solution is to take it down and replace it with a cheaper, but more traditional and hard wearing one and if we re establish ourself in the big time, maybe we can look to have another unique on like that. Maybe, this one could be auctioned off? It's possible there could be a rich entrepreneur fan who might have it removed, put on his own building and pay for the new one and with a bit of kudos thrown in. Again, only a suggestion.

Good suggestion but I guess such rich fans are few and far between and more likely to be asked to, for example, sponsor the big screen right now.

50k is for the fibre glass replacement isnt it?

Yes... just seems a lot but what do I know!
  • "The costs to manufacture a new badge and patrons panel, plus the installation
    look to be in the region of  £50k mark, and at the present time the club has a
    number of more pressing financial issues."

I'd guess the removal of the old one and the installation of the new would eat up a lot of that £50.

Hire of cranes alone would be a few £k by themselves.

Rodders, who was it that replied to you?
  • Anyone got a massive poster of a Charlton badge. ; )
  • Anyone got a massive poster of a Charlton badge. ; )
    LOL or even better spray the old sign to make it look liek scrap metal.  Will be gone in no time!
  • I'm sure the club have looked into this but maybe it could be sprayed with some type of rubber solution? It'll neaten up the appearance, even if you lose the sandstone type of look and help hold it together?

The cost of getting rid of it and re erecting even a cheaper one will, i'd imagine, involve a crane of some sort and they aint cheap. I reckon there probably are some products on the market that could 'clad' it in some way. 

• We need to find that anonymous donor who coughed up and paid for the Sam Bartram statue to be finished.

Haha, Post of the Year!