Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joey Barton to leave Newcastle

Comments

• Mike ashley runs things on a shoe string budget, he keeps a eye on every penny, he also don't stand for any crap.

Barton steps out of line making comments on twitter about how the club is run when really it's not his business, I guess Ashley is keen to stress no man is bigger than the club...

Which is fine when you are running a sportswear discount shop but not when you are running a Premiership club.

The reality is that you have to invest a lot of money to stay competitive in the Premiership and Ashley is obviously not willing to do that any longer, he wants to use the Carroll money to recoup some of the massive losses he has had to absorb since he overpaid for the club in the first place.

Nobody in the Premiership can lose their top three players (Carroll, Nolan and Barton) and not replace them with equal quality, that's a sure path to relegation.

• Disagree. I think it is his business. He joined Newcastle to win things, they sell Carroll for 35m, Enrique set to go, no money reinvested. Same with Hume at Preston. He signed permanently because he was told they would be mounting a serious promotion bid. First they try to sell. Mellor then today they sell Treacey. Hume feels he has been lied to and signed on false promises. It is his career, of course it is his business.

Hardly join Toon to win things!

Of course it's his business but twitter not the way in the case of Barton

• Disagree. I think it is his business. He joined Newcastle to win things, they sell Carroll for 35m, Enrique set to go, no money reinvested. Same with Hume at Preston. He signed permanently because he was told they would be mounting a serious promotion bid. First they try to sell. Mellor then today they sell Treacey. Hume feels he has been lied to and signed on false promises. It is his career, of course it is his business.

Twitter is not the place to run your mouth about it though, I appreciate he has ambition and the sale of key players does not help that but if he has a problem it needs to be kept internal, especially when you think newcastle stuck by him after all the problems he had of the football pitch...
  • edited August 2011
    Free transfers get offered much more in wages and signing on fees.

So I guess Ashley's really taught Barton a lesson there.
  • Free transfers get offered much more in wages and signing on fees.

So I guess Ashley's really taught Barton a lesson there.

I think the key component there is wages, Ashley probably jumped at the opportunity to get Barton's 75K per week (or thereabouts) off of the books.

It looks increasingly likely that Ashley is culling all of the high earners at Newcastle in favour of bringing in much cheaper players from overseas.

That's a very strange strategy.

• I don't think he has done much wrong, in the past he has said he wants to stay and hasn't even been offered a new deal. If that wasn't true surely Newcastle would just come out and say they have offered him a deal. Add that to all the players they have let go and replaced them with no one and you can understand his frustrations. 

It used to be players talked to the press now they use social media to voice their opinions and given what has gone on there. I have to back him on this one. At least he is showing some passion and a desire for that club which you can hardly say about the owners and management there at the moment.
  • I don't think he has done much wrong, in the past he has said he wants to stay and hasn't even been offered a new deal. If that wasn't true surely Newcastle would just come out and say they have offered him a deal. Add that to all the players they have let go and replaced them with no one and you can understand his frustrations. 

It used to be players talked to the press now they use social media to voice their opinions and given what has gone on there. I have to back him on this one. At least he is showing some passion and a desire for that club which you can hardly say about the owners and management there at the moment.

Trouble being with a owner like Ashley he won't put up with that especially a guy who is supposed to set an example as one of the highest earners at the club...
  • so ashley is trying to reduce his expenditure and gets slated for trying to run his business more prudently
    i suppose he could just continue to over spend , make a series of ridiculous management appointments, get relegated two divisions, take the club to the brink of administration, racking up debts, then just jog the club on and join the board in a much reduced capacity and remain an untouchable hero to some 
  • edited August 2011
    so ashley is trying to reduce his expenditure and gets slated for trying to run his business more prudently
    i suppose he could just continue to over spend , make a series of ridiculous management appointments, get relegated two divisions, take the club to the brink of administration, racking up debts, then just jog the club on and join the board in a much reduced capacity and remain an untouchable hero to some 
    Ridiculous managerial appointment - Check
    Relegation - Certainly a possibility this season
    Jog the club on - He already tried last season
    Take the club to the brink of admin - Can't be far off without his underwriting their debts

At least when Murray got Pardew to take us over he was considered the brightest young managerial talent in the greatest league in the world. Ashley signed him on when he was a lower league washout and had proven he was useless.

And at least when we sold Parker, arguably our best player, the money was put back in to the squad. (Though what your hero did with it could raise an eyebrow or two).

But it always continues to amaze me how you can criticise the same person for the same mistake for day after day, week after week, month after month..

Year after year.

I am sorry to inform you that Richard Murray is human, and not an all-seeing prophet or Jesus Christ himself.

I assume you have led a life without mistakes.

If I am wrong, I hope that someone, somewhere, is bringing your mistakes up every day of every week of every month of every year and SOMEHOW not getting bored of it.
  • edited August 2011
  • Sponsored links:

• so ashley is trying to reduce his expenditure and gets slated for trying to run his business more prudently

If by "reduce his expenditure" you mean sell all of the best high-earning players and replace them with cheaper players that will inexorably lead to relegation then that is one hell of a strange way to run a club.

The bottom line is that a wage rationalisation does make good sense - but only if all the other Premiership clubs are willing to do so too, and that is never going to happen.

All that will happen here is that Newcastle will get relegated and the value of the asset that Ashley bought will plummet even further.

Footballers, regrettably, are not plumbers or electricians in terms of the way their labour can be valued in the marketplace, footballers values - rightly or wrongly - are massive inflated because of the huge money in the EPL and the dread that every established EPL club has of falling off of the merry-go-round.

• i think it's a very risky decsion he is making but maybe he's trying to run them more prudently and soften their potential demise by being proactive rather than reactive

i think for the ridiculous monetary situation to stop more chairmen may have to cut their cloth accordingly cos there aren't many dream jack walker style chairman about who can continue to burn money for the sake of the club they love , even steve gibson has had to slow down

football fans unquenchable thirst for success leads the chairman to overspend and putting clubs on the brink, one of which we were and there may be a big bubble to burst financially in football at some point and clubs have to position theirselves accordingly and hopefully we have done this !

you dont get many Khaldoon Al Mubarak's about these days

Ridiculous managerial appointment - Check
    Relegation - Certainly a possibility this season
    Jog the club on - He already tried last season
    Take the club to the brink of admin - Can't be far off without his underwriting their debts

At least when Murray got Pardew to take us over he was considered the brightest young managerial talent in the greatest league in the world. Ashley signed him on when he was a lower league washout and had proven he was useless.

And at least when we sold Parker, arguably our best player, the money was put back in to the squad. (Though what your hero did with it could raise an eyebrow or two).

But it always continues to amaze me how you can criticise the same person for the same mistake for day after day, week after week, month after month..

Year after year.

I am sorry to inform you that Richard Murray is human, and not an all-seeing prophet or Jesus Christ himself.

I assume you have led a life without mistakes.

If I am wrong, I hope that someone, somewhere, is bringing your mistakes up every day of every week of every month of every year and SOMEHOW not getting bored of it.
    Great post Chunes. Murray did make mistakes, but he's not on the same planet at Ashley.
  • Joey Barton will fit nicely into Millwall......The crowd I mean, not the team.
  • my point with murray is that his poor management decisions got us into an awful position

refusing curbs's assistance to stay on for last year

turning down his offer to help find his successor

forcing a coaching structure on dowie

over spending with dowie

12 games for dowie is bizarre

les reed really bizarre

overspending with pardew

and leaving us with the most ridiculous caretaker appointment to full time manager in the history of football signing our relegation to the 3rd tier

if the purse strings had been watched more prudently then maybe we wouldn't have had to keep parky on for that fateful relegation

now Ashley is tightening the screws and not spunking dough he's a wrong un

you can't have it both ways

• Newcastle thread my friend. We've gone over and over about our club and past troubles and mistakes. The future is now, look forward to it! COYR!
  • agreed i-saw 
    im nervously optimistic 
  • A guy I used to work with is a Newcastle supporter. When he found out I supported a team that wasn't in the Premiership he decided to take the mick. Low league, crap football, crap club etc. A few weeks later they appointed Pardew. 
    Oh, how I laughed at him. The guy thought I was just picking on anything to get back at him. 

I'd just like to say, in your face mate! 

Wonder what the guy thinks now... Where is that phone?
  • i think it's a very risky decsion he is making but maybe he's trying to run them more prudently and soften their potential demise by being proactive rather than reactive

i think for the ridiculous monetary situation to stop more chairmen may have to cut their cloth accordingly cos there aren't many dream jack walker style chairman about who can continue to burn money for the sake of the club they love , even steve gibson has had to slow down

football fans unquenchable thirst for success leads the chairman to overspend and putting clubs on the brink, one of which we were and there may be a big bubble to burst financially in football at some point and clubs have to position theirselves accordingly and hopefully we have done this !

you dont get many Khaldoon Al Mubarak's about these days

What a sensible post. Ashley has had his financial fingers burnt in the past, his shops are not making so much money, who really knows how much he borrowed to buy NUFC and at what interest rate. Plus he is confronted with the Scouse mouth problem in Barton and Noble and the Gorgeous Geordie Goalhanger in Carroll. I suspect the Carroll sale was to offset some of Ashley's expenditure, Noble was getting a little old and a bit too loud, and Barton is a silly little twitterer who is far too big for his sponsored boots.  Ashley and Co want younger, ambitious players at reasonable prices and on acceptable wages.

(Incidentally, I suspect that a lot of twitterers employ press secs to tweet for them.. Joey Barton quoting Orwell? ... yeah right.)

Off post a bit, I suspect that few fans understand the financial problems at many top clubs. Arsenal for example can't afford top players because the Emirates Stadium has cost an absolute fortune  and has still to be paid for. Many clubs are in trouble, belts need to be tightened.  

• edited August 2011
    Good post oohaah and I think it's a good thing in theory what Ashley is doing at Newcastle - cutting the stupid salaries, brining in younger foreign talent on the cheap with high potential sell-on value, trimming the squad etc. BUT...

the argument falls down when you consider this - Barton OK too much money, no new deal offered... move him on the summer before then (this summer) and pocket some dosh OR be a 12 year old my dad's bigger than your dad and chuck him out for free to make a statement

Mike Ashley has just cost Newcastle comfortably over £5M to make a statement

Makes all the prudent arguments look a little thin
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't Barton sign while Ashley was in charge? So how can anyone give him credit for cutting the wage bill?
  • So how can anyone give him credit for cutting the wage bill?
    More of a post-relegation/financial crisis afterthought than a footballing philosophy...
  • hasn't ashley just promised £40,000 worth of shares to all employees at his sports direct stores? and given darren clarke a £2m bonus for winning the open?

• If there is a long term (ish) trend for Chairman to refuse to pay massive transfer fees and huge wages then, in time, all the players and agents will accept that football is going to live within it's means.

Many football clubs have used the TV money to develop their infrastructure (basically stadia) but if you look at a snap shop of football club's finances you most often see that the cost of building projects is less than the current level of debt. Thus most football clubs have spent all the TV money on players and running costs and have, effectively, borrowed the money for the the ground developments.

The clubs are pretty much all at their credit limits so they need to reduce spending. This was inevitable before the recession came along. It's ok for Man Utd or Arsenal to pay wages in the millions of pounds a year for their super stars, but when Hull, Portsmouth et.al. started agreeing multi-million pound contracts for several of their players it was always going to be unsustainable.

It is, almost, acceptable for a team in the second or third division to have cash flow issues, but for those in the Premier League with c. £30m a season of TV money to run at a loss is, frankly, disgraceful.

Many Premier League teams are as good as insolvent now, they would all be in serious trouble if they were relegated, and failed to get up within a couple of seasons. We were, actually, very well run and we have had a terrible time since we lost out place on the gravy train. Imagine the carnage if West Ham (with £100m+ of debts, and a significant trading loss) fail to win promotion for the next two seasons.

• If there is a long term (ish) trend for Chairman to refuse to pay massive transfer fees and huge wages then, in time, all the players and agents will accept that football is going to live within it's means.

Many football clubs have used the TV money to develop their infrastructure (basically stadia) but if you look at a snap shop of football club's finances you most often see that the cost of building projects is less than the current level of debt. Thus most football clubs have spent all the TV money on players and running costs and have, effectively, borrowed the money for the the ground developments.

The clubs are pretty much all at their credit limits so they need to reduce spending. This was inevitable before the recession came along. It's ok for Man Utd or Arsenal to pay wages in the millions of pounds a year for their super stars, but when Hull, Portsmouth et.al. started agreeing multi-million pound contracts for several of their players it was always going to be unsustainable.

It is, almost, acceptable for a team in the second or third division to have cash flow issues, but for those in the Premier League with c. £30m a season of TV money to run at a loss is, frankly, disgraceful.

Many Premier League teams are as good as insolvent now, they would all be in serious trouble if they were relegated, and failed to get up within a couple of seasons. We were, actually, very well run and we have had a terrible time since we lost out place on the gravy train. Imagine the carnage if West Ham (with £100m+ of debts, and a significant trading loss) fail to win promotion for the next two seasons.

Eminently sensible but unfortunately Manchester City and Chelsea have long since blown any economic rationality out of the window and show no sign of ceasing their folly.
    That is grossly unfair.
  • Joey Barton got to big for his boots, he should be thankful he is kicking a ball for a living and given 2nd and 3rd chances. The geezer is a thug and I like he has been made a fool out of...

Here today....

Gone tomorrow..
  • Imagine the carnage if West Ham (with £100m+ of debts, and a significant trading loss) fail to win promotion for the next two seasons.

S#x wee time for me I'd imagine.
  • I got a holiday out of Newcastle going down last time and I only jumped on when I knew that clown Dowie was involved! I think they will be a good bet for the drop but with the three have gone up even Pardew cant mess it up that badly...??? Or can he? Off to see what price I can get.
  • well i am on Mike ashleys side ,he runs a damn successful business and i admire him for that ,he is one of the few high profile non "foreign investors" amongst the larger clubs (or so called) in the premiership .

where else would someone publicly criticise the management,specifically the major shareholder and get paid 60k a week for the privilege ...i say good luck to MA id do excatly the same thing in his position ,OK i might question his judgement re Pardew and if i was a newcastle fan i might not be thinking there is investment in the team .perhaps the Joeys of this world should have something written in their contracts preventing these outbursts(i might accept 60k for the privilege) no team/squad will win anything with JB in it .rant over