Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson

I'm only a lass but I don't understand why Benson isn't even on the bench. Last season he scored a few goals, his mate from Dagenham is now in the team so why not bring him on instead of Euell. Jason was brilliant when he first came to Charlton but from what some of you are saying he just isn't up to it anymore.

Comments

• Options
    A number of possible reasons. Could be about to be sold ? Euell more versatile to have on bench. Carrying a knock. Or SCP prefers Jason
  • Options
    Euell is on the bench over Benson because he can also play in midfield and Benson isn't really missed he is a pretty average player. Not bad but not great. Plus the crowd singing Jason Euell's name all through the game when he isn't even on the pitch probably doesn't help.
  • Options
    Benson not playing as we don't want him to get injured when we are trying to sell him. Powell recently confirmed that three or four clubs are interested. I think it would be a mistake to sell him - and he'd undoubtedly be on bench if it was still seven subs - but we shall see. I'd start Benno and Green on Tuesday to see how well (or not) they link up, personally. We are clearly crying out for a tall target man. Green's crosses/freekicks/corners were all straight into the box at a good height, we really needed someone there to head them down for BWP et al. I assume someone like that will be coming in at the expense of Benno.
  • Options
    Heard he is off to gillingham - don't know if true or not
  • Options
    Heard he is off to gillingham - don't know if true or not
    If true it must be on loan, don't see them spending 150k
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think spiritof1947 has hit the nail on the head. The reason Benson is not in the squad can only be because the club know he is unlikely to be offered/sign a new contract at the end of the season and they therefore want to cash in on him now rather than let him go for nothing in the summer. Benson has a better touch than Euell, holds up the ball better and is better in the air so undoubtly should be ahead of him. With the exception of Danny Green I am a bit worried about the quality of the golden oldies on our bench full stop so I really hope we bring in a target man ahead of Euell and another CB over the remainder of August.
  • Options
    Five sub rule I'm afraid. Euell who can, alledgly, play in a number of positions is more likely to get on the bench ahead of Benson. Same ith Hughes who can also cover a number of positions. Plus CP seems to prefer to have defensive cover on the bench as opposed to attacking options hence the reason we drew yesterday
  • Options
    Benson is about to be sold, Euell isn't.
  • Options

When he gets a hat-trick Tuesday night, things may change.
  • Options
    can't see it - i'll br amazed if he isn't sold
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    can't see it - i'll br amazed if he isn't sold

Yeah I think you're probably right Dan. I actually heard there was still some movement in and out to happen and indeed was told yesterday that we'd be spending a fair wedge on a new CB in the coming week but wasn't a high quality source so a little sceptical.
  • Options
    i have heard there will be 3 in and 3 out and although no names given, i reckon it will be francis, benson and elliot out. nothing is certain in football of course but my source is as 'high quality' as you can get but i'm not saying any more than that. 
  • Options
    I have no source, but reckon 3 out is a safe bet ;0
  • Options
    Which clique is that Dan?
  • Options

clique? my lips are sealed

• Options

Have you tried aqueous cream ;0)
  • Options

That will be Clinique not in clique then.

• Options
    I don't see what Euell offers to the side, hasn't played upfront for years and we must have 6 CMs in front of him. Doesn't hold ball up very well or run channels, no threat to defences, may pop up with the odd goal. CP your heart ruled your head.
  • Options
    I don't see what Euell offers to the side, hasn't played upfront for years and we must have 6 CMs in front of him. Doesn't hold ball up very well or run channels, no threat to defences, may pop up with the odd goal. CP your heart ruled your head.

Exactly! Without Benson on the bench, we have no options up front at all. If Benson goes, I sincerely hope Powell has at least two strikers lined up to come in this week.

Do not understand all this Euell hype, he was hopeless when he left us the last time and IMHO he is just tying up valuable wages this time!
  • Options

I agree with all of the above, Euell looks exactly what he is, an ageing footballer in the twilight of his career, his touch look aweful when he came on Sat, first two touches he gave the ball straight to a Scunny player.

Not the sort of player that will get us out of league one, after all the good signings his was a backward step. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    i thought euells touch was ok better than hayes !
  • Options
    Fred West' touch was better than Hayes on Saturday!
  • Options

I said before we signed him I didnt see room for him. Adds experience but I'd rather see what Alonso can offer in CM, and up front we could have done with a targetman and a pacey striker. Now there is really only room for one more striker, even if Benson leaves.

I expect like Fortune, Euell will turn out to be nothing more than a squad player. Coming down from the Prem doesn't mean he is a top League 1 player. Maybe he is just seen as a userul
  • Options
    Euell offers versatility as has been said. It was a stupid decision by the league to cut the number of subs from 7 to 5 and Benson is paying for that.
  • Options
    I think it is as stupid as you Muttley but apparently CP backed it!
  • Options
    Benson isn't the answer not saying Euell is but it was his versatility the he was signed ,

Listening to

some of you lot you'd think Benson was the next grant holt
  • Options
    Lets face it Benson was surrounded by cack last season who created nothing, so do really we know how good/crap he really is without him playing in the first team.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Benno. He was slagged off left, right and Abramovich last season but still improved his game and scored goals.

Now we are trying to sell him. 

If BWP gets crocked we have no-one to finish we may regret treating him to poorly.
  • Options

I don't get all this moaning about subs - when it went to five people said it was too many.

I agree with Chris, five is plenty.

As for Benno, good player I thought expected him to be important for us this season, can only assume we have a replacement in mind.

• Options

That will be Clinique not in clique then.
    Ican confirm i am not in a CL clique, i have not got dry lips and for the avoidance of doubt, i haven't got any high quality source all over them either!