Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson

Comments

• Options
    I think the issue with Benson is that he is 31 and has just ine year left on his contract. If we are going to buy a better and/or younger striker then if we sell Benson now we will have some kind of deposit to do so. If we wait until next summer we will not have any fee coming in from the sale of Benson. Even if we get a replacement that is no better but younger then it will have been a sensible thing to do.

As for Euell. Let's judge him when he's got three or four 90 minutes under his belt. at that point he will be sharper and I would imagine that will make his first touch seem better too.
  • Options

I think 7 subs has been a psotive development. Allows you to pick a few youngsters too and play them if you are comfortable.

• Options

I think 7 subs has been a psotive development. Allows you to pick a few youngsters too and play them if you are comfortable.

Very true - except in the Football league we are back to only 5 this season!
  • Options
    I think Benson's been given a pretty raw deal.  Now that we finally have some people that could give some service to the forwards he isn't being played.  I think on the few occasions I've seen him on the pitch with BWP they had the potential for a good partnership, and the opposition defense looked rattled.
  • Options
    yes and dropping to 5 has been a retrograde step IMO.
  • Options
    Euell I hope you read Charlton life,prove people wrong and be a good player this season.
  • Options

Football managed with no subs and then just a couple on the bench, then it expanded.  Having 5 on the bench encourages clubs to run a tighter ship and will help them to save money.

• Options
    I doubt it.
  • Options
    I like Benson, I want him to score, I think he will score if played, and I hope to see him play against Reading.
  • Options
    I like Benson, I want him to score, I think he will score if played, and I hope to see him play against Reading.
    He has more chance of scoring if he is feeding off Green's cross's, it worked a treat at Dagenham so it must be worth a try no we have them both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think they only played together once in pre-season, and Green supplied the cross for Bensons only goal.
  • Options
    I think we need Euell on the bench but I also think we need benno.

My bench would be too difficult to pick!
  • Options
    I think we need Euell on the bench but I also think we need benno.

My bench would be too difficult to pick!
    I know robbie is a bit injury prone but maybe Powell might not put a keeper on the bench, it's a risk but it would give him more options.
  • Options
    Building on KHA's point, one of the problems we will have this season, as last and the one before is that players not in the starting line up will not be match fit when they come on, that means they will lack sharpness.  I can't believe that after a couple of cameo appearances Euell is being slagged off - one of those was as a lone striker - a position he would not have been effective in when he was at the top of his game - and our midfield had gone missing.  It seems like some here are gagging to have a player to slag off.

As for subs, its 5,will be all season and probably next - get over it. 
  • Options
    That's a good point, Kap - and it is also an argument for making substitutions earlier as part of an overall game plan, not just as a reaction to events.  I've only seen the team "live" v Bournemouth so far, but was concerned that Stephens looked knackered about ten mins into second half - seems this has continued to be a bit of an issue.  Maybe we need to factor mid match changes in a bit more to build up fitness across the squad, and keep a tight grip on games?
  • Options

I know robbie is a bit injury prone but maybe Powell might not put a keeper on the bench, it's a risk but it would give him more options.

It'd make pens fun tonight if Hamer had gone off!
  • Options
    isn't it seven subs in the Cup tonight ? Pretty sure it is.
  • Options
    isn't it seven subs in the Cup tonight ? Pretty sure it is.
    Yes it is
  • Options
    Which wont help us much as pretty sure Benno will start alongside Euell - Will probably mean Popo gets a place on the bench.
  • Options
    Building on KHA's point, one of the problems we will have this season, as last and the one before is that players not in the starting line up will not be match fit when they come on, that means they will lack sharpness.  I can't believe that after a couple of cameo appearances Euell is being slagged off - one of those was as a lone striker - a position he would not have been effective in when he was at the top of his game - and our midfield had gone missing.  It seems like some here are gagging to have a player to slag off.

As for subs, its 5,will be all season and probably next - get over it. 
    Spot on Kap.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally, I really like Benson and he scored goal when our team was, lets be honest, shocking and he had little to no supply. He racked up a fair number of goals after a poor start to the season and if he can be careful and not get too many cards, and with a bit of luck doesn't get injured, he could be a valuable asset as a goal scorer and a decent supplier to other goals this season. I have no doubt that if he got playing time he would get 15+ goals, which along side the inevitable numbers BWP will rack up, will give us a formidable strike force. Plus, I think he could do everything that Hayes is doing plus be a more impressive goal threat.

Also, if you swapped Benson for Hayes and kept the rest of the squad the same or similar then your bench could be: One keeper, Doherty, Hughes, Euell and Hayes. Then you have more than enough cover for each position even if you swapped Hughes for say Alonso or Pritchard, or even Bover. Seems pretty simple to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Last seasons red cards done Paul no favours , and were perhaps a symbol of underlying lack of service / scraps to feed on / general frustration with life at Charlton , whether all that can be forgotten and both Paul and us can move on , at Charlton or at at another club, is really down to Chris Powell and Paul to decide.

Would love to see Benno start tonight with Euelly up front and crack in a hat trick and give Chris Powell a selection head ache.
  • Options
    It is 7 subs 
  • Options
    Think he should start up front with BWP every week. We play Hayes to be the donkey and do all the work so BWP can poach but how often does that happen? Every game since BWP has got here he's run the channels, gone for every long ball from Elliott, picked the ball up deep etc Benno should play as our poacher off of BWP.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think he could do everything that Hayes is doing plus be a more impressive goal threat.

Sorry lonely northern addick but there is no way Benson can do everything Hayes can. Think I read another of your posts that said you don't get to see the team much, so here's what I think.Hayes is a much more intelligent footballer, makes better runs, clever flicks and passes, already BWP and Hayes looks like a partnership, they've played 4 games, how many games did Benson play with BWP last season and not look as good as Hayes and BWP? Hayes' has a far superior touch, is stronger, and although he's getting a bit of stick already for not scoring on Saturday, will score the 15 you claim Benson could get this year. Cash in on Benson, put the money to good use, that's what seems pretty simple to me.

• Options
    In my honest opinion I would much rather Paul Benson is involved over Jason Euell. I don't think Euell has been effective for the last 6-7 years. His first touch is extremely poor and he has lost any pace that he may have had. Chris Powell is a legend to me but Jason Euell is going to prove an error of judgement.

It would be interesting to see how Benson performs with Green providing the crosses if he is ever given a chance.

• Options
    I've supported Benson on here and also felt he'd score more this year but he really can't "do everything that Hayes is doing", just as Eldavide points out. Again, different players, different strengths. Benson's clearly more of a penalty box poacher whilst Hayes feels more comfortable dropping off and linking - something we asked Benson to add last year with linited results. I'd like to keep his goal threat but can't help thinking he'll still go as we look for that elusive fast, powerful, goal-scoring target man!
  • Options
    Think we have to keep Benson unless we sign a replacement

1) He can score at this level, especially as we have better service to our forwards now
    2) We all feared the worst when BWP went down in the first minute Saturday, we need strength in depth with people who can come in and still do a good job
  • Options
    I've supported Benson on here and also felt he'd score more this year but he really can't "do everything that Hayes is doing", just as Eldavide points out. Again, different players, different strengths. Benson's clearly more of a penalty box poacher whilst Hayes feels more comfortable dropping off and linking - something we asked Benson to add last year with linited results. I'd like to keep his goal threat but can't help thinking he'll still go as we look for that elusive fast, powerful, goal-scoring target man!
    - I think that even if we got a fast, powerful, goal-scoring target-man, some fans on here would still moan that he can't tackle properly!

Think we have to keep Benson unless we sign a replacement

1) He can score at this level, especially as we have better service to our forwards now
    2) We all feared the worst when BWP went down in the first minute Saturday, we need strength in depth with people who can come in and still do a good job
    - Agree completely, especially about the strength in depth; if BWP gets injured (and surely he will at some point this season), we need another goalscorer.  I think Benson needs to be given a chance.  JUST GIVE HIM A CHANCE
  • Options
    I'm happy with the 4 we've got. But if CP thinks he can get someone in better than Benno then that's fine with me too.