Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm happy with the 4 we've got. But if CP thinks he can get someone in better than Benno then that's fine with me too.
    Exactly, Benson, BWP, Danny Green etc,. can all go if we can replace with someone better at this level no player is indispensable, however we should be happy with what we have at the moment, until something better comes along.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I think he could do everything that Hayes is doing plus be a more impressive goal threat. Sorry lonely northern addick but there is no way Benson can do everything Hayes can. Think I read another of your posts that said you don't get to see the team much, so here's what I think.Hayes is a much more intelligent footballer, makes better runs, clever flicks and passes, already BWP and Hayes looks like a partnership, they've played 4 games, how many games did Benson play with BWP last season and not look as good as Hayes and BWP? Hayes' has a far superior touch, is stronger, and although he's getting a bit of stick already for not scoring on Saturday, will score the 15 you claim Benson could get this year. Cash in on Benson, put the money to good use, that's what seems pretty simple to me.
    Agree with this - Hayes has good composure and touch although sometimes it doesn't come off and it looks bad. He doesn't seem to have pace or be a very good finisher but i quite like him and he seems a good foil for BWP, (more so before the game opens up in the second half) but definitely feel we need another 1 or 2 strikers who offer something different. I'd be happy to see Benson go personally and use that money to go towards a powerful channel running type player and ideally an out and out target man although i think the strong channel runner type is maybe needed most. With that you would then have your 4 classic type of forwards - fox in box (bwp), channel runner, drop short and link up (Hayes) and an out and out target man. Not sure we'll bring 2 in though but be pleased if we did.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
  • Options
    The problem with Hayes as I see it is that he doesn't have a particularly hard shot on him. He gets into good positions and has several one-on-ones already this season, but only a couple of goals to his name. In truth given the number of chances he should be on four/five goals. If he can be taught to give the ball a harder thump then that tally will increase.
  • Options
    @BlackForestReds - I don't see his shooting as a problem. The opposite type of player is Luke Varney - who always hit the ball as hard as he could regardless of the goal scoring opportunity. I'd much rather see someone place it like Hayes. I still think he'll chip in with a decent number of goals this season. Didn't even think he was that bad on Saturday.
  • Options
    @BlackForestReds - I don't see his shooting as a problem. The opposite type of player is Luke Varney - who always hit the ball as hard as he could regardless of the goal scoring opportunity. I'd much rather see someone place it like Hayes. I still think he'll chip in with a decent number of goals this season. Didn't even think he was that bad on Saturday.

if his placing was better then I agree it wouldn't be a problem, but from the several one-on-ones he's forced the keeper to make some relatively easy looking saves. Harder shots mean less control, but also increase the chance of a keeper if he gets a hand to it keeping the ball in play and then someone can pick up on the ricochet.
  • Options
    He's played how many games BFR? Give the bloke a chance....
  • Options
    Really hoping he gets a run out against Reading tonight. Hopefully a couple of goals from Green crosses will stop all this speculation about his ability. 

He is a good player. We are being too greedy to ask for better.
  • Options
    He's played how many games BFR? Give the bloke a chance....

I've been impressed with what I've seen of him - and think he's just what we need, BWP will score goals given a chance, and we have several attacking midfielders with an eye for goal who are all capable of getting into double figures. Hayes's best contribution to the cause this season will be from assists and hold-up play rather than goals scored, but I think he needs a harder shot on him to convert those chances he gets.

• Options
    edited August 2011

Benson is a natural goal scorer but to suggest he has more to his game than Hayes is rediculous??!! Has anyone here actually been to every game so far??

Think this is a case of the dickos - please please please be our saviour, all the time you are not playing you are a goal machine and the answer to our prayers, however the min they actually play you are reminided why they are NOT in the starting 11 and then forever slag them off until such time passes you forgot how they actually perform and create some farsical dreamland.

That being said I like Benson think he could be effective as a sub for BWP and play with Hayes but not as a replacement of Hayes, and personally unless we can sign an improvement and younger player would rather we kept him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

**for an option from the bench or when BWP hits some bad form

• Options
    Is benson injured?.
  • Options
    Is benson injured?.

Yes, he fell awkwardly and seems to have injured his hand or broken a finger. Enough to keep him out the side...if he was playing cricket.
  • Options
    had a blinder last night and it's been confirmed he's injured his finger 
  • Options
    Powell seems to have the entire squad playing out of their collective skins. Wonderful. in a great team the sum is always greater than the collective parts. Benson, Pritchard, Green, Mambo, Evina, Euell et al are going to keep the first selections right on their toes. Training at Sparrow lane must be VERY interesting at the present time.