Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GCSE results

Comments

• Happy with results. Chuffed with an A in english, will have to keep it up with all the grammer police on here!

;o)

Well done Dartford...were you off to now?
  • Happy with results. Chuffed with an A in english, will have to keep it up with all the grammer police on here!

And I didn't think the youth of today understood irony.....

• Whats this ICT? Have we got a fixture with Inverness Caledonian Thistle? Seriously well done everyone!
  • Mine too just got to the school with a very nervous 16 year old 🤞 
  • Hope you all get the grades you deserve and worked for. 
  • edited August 2023
    all 'old school' 3 A's, 2 B's and 4 C's.....phew
  • all 'old school' 3 A's, 2 B's and 4 C's.....phew
    Well done Eltham, I reckon you outperformed with those 3A’s :-) 
  • good luck to anyone's kids eagerly awaiting their results this morning

my first experience of this with my daughter, she certainly worked her socks off and fingers crossed gets what she deserves
    Not many teenagers on charlton life themselves…?!
  • Sponsored links:

• all 'old school' 3 A's, 2 B's and 4 C's.....phew
    Great grades! 
  • Stressful morning and got to do it all again next year…

Thankfully all the A’s and B’s (well 7’s and 6’s in the modern world) in the right subjects to get into the sixth form at her school as it’s quite a high bar they set to get in 

Well done to your daughter Eltham.
  • I thought GCSE grades went up to 9?
  • They do

But it’s a strange system where a 7 is effectively an A and a 4 is effectively a C or a pass in old money

Thats my understanding anyway, the old way was a lot simpler 

• They do

But it’s a strange system where a 7 is effectively an A and a 4 is effectively a C or a pass in old money

So what are an 8 and a 9 then? A* and....?

Obviously O Levels are long gone, but an A was 80 to 89% not 70% - is this what they mean by grade inflation?

It must be so confusing for educational establishments and even more so employers. I've read to day that NI and Wales still have the additional grade inflation for covid but not in England. So someone in Wales or NI is likely to have get higher grades than someone in England - how are employers meant to keep track of who got what grade inflation when depending on where they went to school and when??

• They do

Obviously O Levels are long gone, but an A was 80 to 89% not 70% - is this what they mean by grade inflation?

It must be so confusing for educational establishments and even more so employers. I've read to day that NI and Wales still have the additional grade inflation for covid but not in England. So someone in Wales or NI is likely to have get higher grades than someone in England - how are employers meant to keep track of who got what grade inflation when depending on where they went to school and when??

9 = A**
    8 = A*

I don't think the old O Levels were garded by reference to marks. Instead the to 10% got an A, the next 15% a B etc. 
  • edited August 2023
    Good luck to all waiting on grades that are wanted, I just feel for those poor souls who are left with poor results and not feeling great, what with all the over emphasis on A's given in the media and news programs at this time of year, stay strong...
  • Great to read

my GCSE year was 97/98

My dad was pulling me out of school for all of our away night games, and the week of the play off final was half term before all my exams started.  I spent the week putting together clippings of all the newspapers and rewatching the final.  That’s how you revise and prepare 
  • Jints said:
    They do

9 = A**
    8 = A*

I don't think the old O Levels were garded by reference to marks. Instead the to 10% got an A, the next 15% a B etc. 
    I thought that too, but looked it up and you needed at least 80% for an A. It looks like A* wasn't introduced until 1994, so hard to compare like for like
  • Been any word from @Foxycafc of late... Hasnt he taken them this year? 
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s hard to compare like for like with the numerical grading system. Ultimately a 9 is like an A** - awarded to only the top 1-2% of those sitting exams. An 8 is akin to an A* a 7 is an A, 6 a B. A 5 is like a high C and a 4 a low C.
  • It’s hard to compare like for like with the numerical grading system. Ultimately a 9 is like an A** - awarded to only the top 1-2% of those sitting exams. An 8 is akin to an A* a 7 is an A, 6 a B. A 5 is like a high C and a 4 a low C.
    It is good that the top and very top marks get rewarded. but that next A***, then an A is more like a C. Hard to keep track for educational establishments and employers. Seems unfair pupils in Wales an NI still get increased grade inflation than students in England whose grades could be 1 grade down in every subject when they got a pretty much equivalent grade
    It is good that the top and very top marks get rewarded. but that next A***, then an A is more like a C. Hard to keep track for educational establishments and employers. Seems unfair pupils in Wales an NI still get increased grade inflation than students in England whose grades could be 1 grade down in every subject when they got a pretty much equivalent grade

It is complicated but the boundaries are set after the papers are marked - then the boundaries are decided. They are not the same every year but represent the ability of the national cohort and are set accordingly to ensure that the number of 9s is similar each year.
  • Jints said:
    My nephew got 8 x 9s and 1 x 8. Pretty impressive when he couldn't get into any of the Kent grammar schools. 
    Very impressive set of grades there!

son#2 (at a grammar) got a smattering of 9s and 8s. Mainly 7s and then a couple of 6s for his least favourite subjects. He’s reasonably relieved as was getting wound up beforehand by overall correction from Covid years and likely grade boundaries.
  • Different subjects have different thresholds for the grades.
    The amount of perfection needed to get a ‘top’ grade in Drama for example (which I believe is over 92%) is way higher than in Mathematics where you can get a ‘top’ grade for a percentage in the sixties (maybe lower).
    My ordinary level maths achieved back in the day is probably the equivalent of a double first from Cambridge University now😀
  • It used to be the every year it would be on local news as a kid opened their grades.  The suspension would raise and then they’d invariably get straight A’s necssue they were hand picked.
    nowadays it seems a badge of honour to have done shockingly bad and to boast about it on TikTok.  
    Strange how the world changes isn’t it 
  • Swisdom said:
    It used to be the every year it would be on local news as a kid opened their grades.  The suspension would raise and then they’d invariably get straight A’s necssue they were hand picked.
    nowadays it seems a badge of honour to have done shockingly bad and to boast about it on TikTok.  
    Strange how the world changes isn’t it 
    I was a little surprised to see how openly supportive Peter Andre was of Princess' results. Considering she goes to a private school. But maybe she did actually work as hard as he said and her results were good for her personally
  • Congratulations 🥳 Foxy those are terrific results.
    Hope you have a plan to celebrate, I imagine you put in a lot of hard work and it’s certainly paid off.