Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GCSE results

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Congratulations 🥳 Foxy those are terrific results.
    Hope you have a plan to celebrate, I imagine you put in a lot of hard work and it’s certainly paid off.
    My celebrations ended with someone in the RUH with alcohol poisoning. What a time 😂
  • Options
    Well done Foxy, great results. Good luck in the next stage of your education.
  • Options
    Well done @Foxycafc great results lad, be proud of yourself 
  • Options
    Well done Foxy. I hope your studies planted a positive regard for Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Congratulations, @Foxycafc
    Your skills in English language will be a valuable support for whatever you go on to do in the rest of your life - even joining the grammar police on here, if ever you felt so inclined!!!

An interesting selection of A-level subjects; I hope you get pleasure from your future studies, as well as a lot of hard work.  There are no "easy" A-levels, just those better suited to your interests and skills.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Your skills in English language will be a valuable support for whatever you go on to do in the rest of your life - even joining the grammar police on here, if ever you felt so inclined!!!

An interesting selection of A-level subjects; I hope you get pleasure from your future studies, as well as a lot of hard work.  There are no "easy" A-levels, just those better suited to your interests and skills.
    People reckon I’m a bit mental for doing two languages, but it’s what I enjoy and what I’m good at

And it’s coming in handy here in sunny Spain 😂 
  • Options
    Farntastic results - well done for them and also for taking 2 languages at A-level!
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    N01R4M said:

People reckon I’m a bit mental for doing two languages, but it’s what I enjoy and what I’m good at

There is a lot of emphasis these days on the country's need for more STEM- qualified people in the workforce - and I would certainly endorse that viewpoint when it comes to the make up of the House of Commons!  (Guess what; this comes from a retired physics teacher!)

However, in an interconnected world, an attitude that "English is a world language, so we don't need linguists" is not a good look for trade, commerce, or diplomacy at any level - including being a holiday-maker! - so I see nothing mental about studying 2 languages, especially ones which have different roots.

If you continue to enjoy languages at A-level, I hope it will inspire you to further and wider studies in this field and that it leads you to a satisfying.

Best wishes from chilly, cloudy, damp Cheshire!!  (Grrr!)
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    Been any word from @Foxycafc of late... Hasnt he taken them this year? 
    Absolutely buzzing

3 7s, 6 8s and a 9

Thats 3 As, 6 A* and a high A*

Better than I’ve done in any reports or mocks

8s in 3 of my A Level subjects (German, Spanish and Biology) and a 7 in the other (History)

My first ever proper 9 I reckon, weirdly enough in English Language, the subject I felt I was worst at and didn’t particularly like (must have been the power of Millwall missing out on the playoffs the night before giving me some positive energy)

Can’t wait to properly get back into a routine with sixth form
    Smashed it, well done Foxy!
  • Options
    Well done @Foxycafc! I was beginning to worry that the radio silence was due to you not getting the grades you'd been predicted because you'd been too distracted by the Takeover thread, and your Mum had banned you from the forum as a result :) Enjoy your holiday, and I hope you don't find the step up to A-Level too taxing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    N01R4M said:
    Foxycafc said:
    N01R4M said:

There is a lot of emphasis these days on the country's need for more STEM- qualified people in the workforce - and I would certainly endorse that viewpoint when it comes to the make up of the House of Commons!  (Guess what; this comes from a retired physics teacher!)

However, in an interconnected world, an attitude that "English is a world language, so we don't need linguists" is not a good look for trade, commerce, or diplomacy at any level - including being a holiday-maker! - so I see nothing mental about studying 2 languages, especially ones which have different roots.

If you continue to enjoy languages at A-level, I hope it will inspire you to further and wider studies in this field and that it leads you to a satisfying.

Best wishes from chilly, cloudy, damp Cheshire!!  (Grrr!)
    I hope it’ll open a few doors for me, that’s part of the reason I’m attempting Arabic too (wish I was joking) - get me out to the Middle East and stick me on a Saudi contract!

much harder than the other two, but it’s a bit like doing a jigsaw, the fun is in the difficulty!
  • Options
    My only perspective from the great prospects in front of Foxy is to ponder the notion that what you choose to study and learn does not have to have anything to do with a future job, or what the country needs, or being a way of making money.
    Education has a wider brief that being a utilitarian enterprise, it has to satisfy what you're interested in and what you want personally.
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    Absolutely buzzing

3 7s, 6 8s and a 9

8s in 3 of my A Level subjects (German, Spanish and Biology) and a 7 in the other (History)

My first ever proper 9 I reckon, weirdly enough in English Language, the subject I felt I was worst at and didn’t particularly like (must have been the power of Millwall missing out on the playoffs the night before giving me some positive energy)

How you got the time to revise with all the time you've spent on here, who knows!
  • Options
    Nice one Foxy

now we need a bitesize 'Next manager' thread
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    Absolutely buzzing

3 7s, 6 8s and a 9

Very well done, @foxycafc , congratulations!
    Now, as a newly qualified master of the English language, can you tell me if it is acceptable in these modern times to casually split infinitives?

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Foxycafc said:
    Absolutely buzzing

3 7s, 6 8s and a 9

Now, as a newly qualified master of the English language, can you tell me if it is acceptable in these modern times to casually split infinitives?

Cant see how else I’m supposed to stick an adverb next to an infinitive so it gets the thumbs up from me
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    IdleHans said:
    Foxycafc said:
    Absolutely buzzing

3 7s, 6 8s and a 9

Cant see how else I’m supposed to stick an adverb next to an infinitive so it gets the thumbs up from me
    I suppose you could put the adverb after get, in your sentence, or at the end of the question in mine.
    Good answer though! And not splitting infinitives is a Victorian affectation anyway, I think it's entirely acceptable now.