Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Di Canio losing the Plot

Comments

• Options
    As a player, true class. An integral part of the best Charlton team that I've had the pleasure to watch since 1967, the one that tore Chelsea apart at the Valley.

• Options

He may have not scored many but he did put in a number of assists in 03/04  and was integral in our success . I was gutted when he left for Lazio .

However , the Nazi salute and incidents like last night show he has a dark side we were right to avoid him as Manager .

• Options
    I am glad this negative post has been exposed as a wind up. I loved having Paolo here. I thought he had a great influence both on an off the pitch. 

• Options
    Ignore him. This is his second name on here trying to post provacative posts. Was relatively amusing at first, but can't resist taking it too far. Won't be a third.
    Was on a wind up from the start when he told us we were all idiots for not believing Serge Deble was going sign on in July.    As Shirty says all rather sad.
  • Options
    Good player in his day, but the man is a nutter.
  • Options
    I love him (in a manly way)
  • Options
    Without doubt my favourite nazi
  • Options
    Without doubt my favourite nazi
    To be accurate he's a self-proclaimed fascist rather than a Nazi.  And there is a difference particularly in Italy.

Not sure what went on but I suspect these sorts of flair ups are not that uncommon. Difference was that this was in view rather than in the dressing room.
  • Options
    He'll spend most of this season in the stands, still think he'll come good for Swindon.
  • Options

While its true Di Canio had a poor scoring record at Charlton his overall contribution on the field was immense, he gave us the sort of quality in the final third that we had never had before and may not again for a long time to come.

His close control, passing, movement, running with the ball and bringing others into the game was top-class, it was a pleasure to watch him.

this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yeah great player but i dont think he has the right temperment to be a manager!!
    There have been enough on here calling for him to be manager in the past.
    This. It could have been us. Phew.

• Options
    but what was the plot?
  • Options
    DiCanio is a wanker, worst person I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt. Gave it big in appealing towards the fans, but gave it shit on the field. No goals (excluding penalties) in 36 games as a forward FACT. Statistically the worst striker in Charlton's entire history, yet still idiots sang his name. Glad he's finally being found out. Hope he fucks off back to Italy asap.
    He was one of the main reasons we finished 7th in that season......
    Rather than higher up? I'm not sure what value there is in a non-scoring striker. People are currently dissing potential striker targets who only score 1 in 5 or 6 in open-play, Di Canio scored 0 in 36. Signing him was the worst mistake Curbs ever did. FACT.

Id say John Barnes would win that award
  • Options
    Im voting for the Piggy Bank......
  • Options
    He'll spend most of this season in the stands, still think he'll come good for Swindon.

If he treats his players like that he won't.
  • Options
    PDC was oozing class every time he walked onto the football pitch including his spell with us which sadly was about five years too late.
  • Options
    if they're not careful Swindon could be headed for the Conference with crazy Di Canio in charge
  • Options
    edited August 2011

@Richard

He may have not scored many but he did put in a number of assists in 03/04  and was integral in our success.

I haven't checked so could be wrong but I have a feeling he got the most assists in the Premiership that season.

Great player. Glad he's not our manager though.
  • Options
    Great player - can't believe anyone can think otherwise
  • Options
    Think Di Canio has a major problem here as the majority of the players are supporting Leon Clarke. The Chairman is now in a very difficult position. Can't see Di Canio lasting too long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Di Canio was great for us, but as a manager, it seems like he might not have the temperament....

Glad he wasn't appointed last season - he would probably have battered half of the squad in the same way (not that it would necessarily have been met with disapproval from most of the fans if he had!).

Looks like his managerial career may be a short one, in any case.
  • Options
    Probably do well in Russia
  • Options
    Di Canio's interview about it on SSN it's pretty, erm, passionate.
  • Options

@Richard

He may have not scored many but he did put in a number of assists in 03/04  and was integral in our success.

I haven't checked so could be wrong but I have a feeling he got the most assists in the Premiership that season.

Great player. Glad he's not our manager though.

Pretty sure he was 2nd in assists after Muzzy Izzet that year.

Also to spiritof1947. THIS (above) proves you wrong statistically and I also have 3 words for you. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

• Options
    DiCanio is a wanker, worst person I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt. Gave it big in appealing towards the fans, but gave it shit on the field. No goals (excluding penalties) in 36 games as a forward FACT. Statistically the worst striker in Charlton's entire history, yet still idiots sang his name. Glad he's finally being found out. Hope he fucks off back to Italy asap.
    Absolutely moronic comment, and one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on here. You can't pass off your largely unshared opinion as "fact," sorry.
  • Options
    Didnt look like he 'lost the plot' from what I saw on SSN. This Leon Clarke was having a go at the fitness coach and Di canio was trying to lure him out to the tunnel in good manner to stop it. Di canio is obviously a very fiery person but thats what people like about him anyway; He expresses his passion.
    If the players are on clarks 'side', then they are being unprofessional and need reminding who is in charge and what their job is. It would be rediculous if the manager got sacked over this issue, but obviously taking into account that managers get sacked very easily these days over the slightest thing.
  • Options
    I read that Paolo had introduced 7 day a week training sessions. I don't know if that's true or if I even believe it but it seems Paolo is trying to instil the passion he has for, well, everything into his players and they just don't have his attitude. If that's true he'll never make it as a manager unless he can square himself with the fact other people just aren't as insanely meticulous and dedicated as him. It's what made him such a great player - and a nutter - but you can't force other people to take your approach to life, especially not in League Two. I'd love to see him succeed though. If he can get the players onside his team could mount some mad charge up the table. Imagine the interviews if they got to the Playoff final
  • Options
    The fact that the players are siding with Clarke probably tells you what they think of DiCanio
  • Options

On SSN Leon Clarke has been told to find a new club, which will not go down well with the players who support him in this matter and not Di Canio. Manager/player rift developing there already.

• Options
    Some people have no idea what a good player actually is -everybody is entitled to their opinion but Di Canio was part of our strongest team in my lifetime which speaks volumes I think for his ability as a player. Having said that, I never agreed with the calls from some that he should be our next manager - he is a bit mad and can't always control himself -not necessaryly the qualities needed.