Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2011

Anyone interested or going to watch?
Starts next week. Every match streamed live on ITV.
France Japan and Argentina England on the 10th could be good matches to start with.

The groups are as follows

Pool A
New Zealand, France, Tonga, Canada, Japan

Pool B
Argentina, England, Scotland, Georgia, Romania

Pool C
Australia, Ireland, Italy, Russia, United States

Pool D
South Africa, Wales, Fiji, Manu Samoa, Namibia

Looks like its a given that the hosts NZ will sweep all before them, but then again it always seems like this before a rugby World Cup! Mind you there have been some odd results this year which may lead to some upsets.

Hosts have won twice in the six tournaments - Australia and South Africa. Both of these teams have won the tournament twice. England NZ have won one each.

Great to see Argentina rise to take third place last time out.

Full fixture list and times here

http://www.itv.com/rugbyworldcup/2011/matches/

PS

My money is on (the 2019 hosts), Japan. Which is why I am poor.

Comments

• Options
    I think the USA will do well if they've remembered their shoulder pads and crash helmets..............
  • Options
    NZ v England final methinks.  I had £50 on NZ a year ago at 11/10, they are now 4/5 despite consecutive defeats V S Africa & Australia. Had a saving bet .. Australia at 7/2, not a bad price at all.
  • Options
    the ref never gives hand ball !!!
  • Options
    NZ v England final methinks.  I had £50 on NZ a year ago at 11/10, they are now 4/5 despite consecutive defeats V S Africa & Australia. Had a saving bet .. Australia at 7/2, not a bad price at all.

NZ for me, they are on home turf, SA are rebuilding, Australia don't have the pack and England/Ireland and France a bit too inconsistent.
  • Options
    As a New Zealander France's inconsistency always has me worried BFR. After following the ABs to early defeats in Australia and last time around in France when I was living in London, I've sworn not to get my hopes up. Instead I'm enjoying the cracking start Charlton have made in a league of little consequence to most of my fellow countrymen. 
  • Options

Looks like some great games coming up. I may have to miss my first Charlton home game in about 10 years  :-)

Canada v Japan

Georgia v Romania

Russia v United States

Manu Somoa v Namibia

Rugbytastic !

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Paddy Power
    90-1 that Japan get through qualifying.
    20-1 for Tonga
  • Options
    I reckon we will grind our way through to a 3rd successive final (is that right ?) and have no idea if we'll win 
  • Options
    I reckon we will grind our way through to a 3rd successive final (is that right ?) and have no idea if we'll win 

We stand a chance, but what makes this tournament interesting is that other than NZ (who are perennial favourites) there are no clear cut favourites.

The fallacy is that the All Blacks have bottled the last few RWCs, but the reason for their defeat has usually been that they play one way which is to attack and attack and attack and win by pushing their opponents into the turf and giving them a good rucking over in the process. In the last RWC they should have beaten France easily. In the QFs, they had France on the goal-line and stuck in their 22 for eons, but heroic French defence and the failure to chuck the ball back to Dan Carter for a few easy penalties let France off the hook. Had the ABs won that match they would have been up against an average English side who just happened to be better than an average France side, so it was that they missed a decent run to the final. SA were not that good and relied on the boot of the peroxide haired Percy Montgomery.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Opening ceremony this morning seemed to include Sinclair C5's.
    Tonga NZ will be a cracking opener, on now
  • Options

The Haka's brilliant-wild eyes, tongues out.

Charlton should adopt its own Haka to scare the roughty, toughty teams who visit The Valley.

• Options

The Haka's brilliant-wild eyes, tongues out.

Charlton should adopt its own Haka to scare the roughty, toughty teams who visit The Valley.

Agree totally, though we need taller players for it to really be effective!
  • Options

spectacular opening ceremonmy and a mediocre first game. N Z had their foot on the brake so as not to embarass Tonga with a cricket score. Something must be done by way of rule/law amendments to stop the situation whereby a defending team can engender scrum after scrum after scrum by offending within metres of their own line. A penalty try after the first offence followed by a yellow card would do it, but, what referee is going to have the grit to so penalise N Z on their own turf.

England need to come out flying against Argentina who are badly undercooked having played only a handful of games this year. Argentina will soon be joining the SA/Oz/NZ tri nations tournament thereby increasing the overall standard of the world game

• Options

spectacular opening ceremonmy and a mediocre first game. N Z had their foot on the brake so as not to embarass Tonga with a cricket score. Something must be done by way of rule/law amendments to stop the situation whereby a defending team can engender scrum after scrum after scrum by offending within metres of their own line. A penalty try after the first offence followed by a yellow card would do it, but, what referee is going to have the grit to so penalise N Z on their own turf.

England need to come out flying against Argentina who are badly undercooked having played only a handful of games this year. Argentina will soon be joining the SA/Oz/NZ tri nations tournament thereby increasing the overall standard of the world game

The referee can award a penalty try if a team persistently offends, with the conversion being in front of the posts. If an individual player pulls down the ruck too often or kills the ball they can be sin-binned to boot.

• Options

The referee can award a penalty try if a team persistently offends, with the conversion being in front of the posts. If an individual player pulls down the ruck too often or kills the ball they can be sin-binned to boot.

This I know, so why is it not being done by the referees ?
  • Options

Referees as in football tend to get tournament guidelines, but as you say giving a penalty try against NZ at home in the WC would be a career limiting move for most referees.

England - Argentina on ITV tomorrow from 9AM.

• Options

Referees as in football tend to get tournament guidelines, but as you say giving a penalty try against NZ at home in the WC would be a career limiting move for most referees.

England - Argentina on ITV tomorrow from 9AM.

England by 20+ points unless they show some mercy 
  • Options
    England by 3 or so.
    France by 30 or so - Japan game starts at 7am
  • Options

Argentina will be no push over and England are without Cueto and Moody.

The match kicks off at 9.30 AM.

England's team:

15 Ben FodenNorthampton Saints
    14 Chris AshtonNorthampton Saints
    13 Manu TuilagiLeicester Tigers
    12 Mike Tindall (C)Gloucester Rugby
    11 Delon ArmitageLondon Irish
    10 Jonny WilkinsonRC Toulon
    9 Richard WigglesworthSaracens
    1 Andrew SheridanSale Sharks
    2 Steve ThompsonLondon Wasps
    3 Dan Cole Leicester Tigers
    4 Louis DeaconLeicester Tigers
    5 Courtney Lawes Northampton Saints
    6 Tom CroftLeicester Tigers
    7 James HaskellRicoh Black Rams
    8 Nick EasterHarlequins
    Replacements
    Player Club
    16 Dylan HartleyNorthampton Saints
    17 Matt StevensSaracens
    18 Tom PalmerStade Francais
    19 Tom WoodNorthampton Saints
    20 Ben YoungsLeicester Tigers
    21 Toby FloodLeicester Tigers
    22 Matt BanahanBath Rugby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm beginning to doubt if Moody will play at all. I suspect he's been brought along as a morale booster and motivator. And, really, I would prefer a Haskell, Easter, Croft back row .. Moody concedes just too many penalties nowadays.
  • Options
    Felt so sorry for Japan this morning - what spirit and what a second half.
    Could easily have been level 15 mins into second half.
    Had so much possession and territory. Great effort.

Tough game now for England
  • Options
    England in all black ...  let's go
  • Options
    What was the Scotland score ?
  • Options
    “: Streaker showing more bollocks than the entire England team! #EngvArg” Indeed!
  • Options
    England look a shambles. Terrible performance.
  • Options
    If we win this it will be bloody unlucky on Argentina, we haven't turned up yet
  • Options
    This is diabolical! seriously disappointing!
  • Options
    wow, that was painful.... limped through in the end