Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2011

Comments

• Options

Id not looked at it,only saw it live as we were going out and the Mrs and kids were in the car and I was hanging around! This ego thing got me thinking as I was watching Glasgow Warriors against the Ospreys a couple of seasons ago and a high profile ref was in charge.I was sitting in the front row and heard the ref telling his touch judge just to keep out of the game and just watch for the ball in touch! Ive just watched on the link,thanks.It looked even worse on the second viewing Barnes was closer than I first thought and further on the Scotland side of the ruck,couldnt see where the far side touch judge was he should have had a clear view.

I know that Argentina should have closed the game out but its the reffing Im concerned about.

• Options
    edited September 2011

Id not looked at it,only saw it live as we were going out and the Mrs and kids were in the car and I was hanging around! This ego thing got me thinking as I was watching Glasgow Warriors against the Ospreys a couple of seasons ago and a high profile ref was in charge.I was sitting in the front row and heard the ref telling his touch judge just to keep out of the game and just watch for the ball in touch! Ive just watched on the link,thanks.It looked even worse on the second viewing Barnes was closer than I first thought and further on the Scotland side of the ruck,couldnt see where the far side touch judge was he should have had a clear view.

I know that Argentina should have closed the game out but its the reffing Im concerned about.

Far touch judge seems to be in the other half of the field of play!

Hope the touch judge you saw being undermined reported this to his committee! Very poor IMO.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Just watched a brilliant exciting Japan vs Canada draw. Superb first half performance from Japan. Only the third draw in RWC history, the last one being between the same teams 4 years ago..

Quarter finals lining up nicely

NZ       vs  Argentina or possibly Scotland
    Ireland  vs  Wales

which on current form suggests a NZ vs Ireland semi final

England vs France
    S Africa vs Australia

Which suggests a France vs S Africa second semi-final, though it wouldnt suprise many if yet another epic England Australia Semi transpires.

This could lead to a pre tournament predictable NZ  vs S Africa final, home win.

Though I hope it doesnt!
  • Options
    I dont know if you follow the Magners League but it was at the time that two of Scotlands top refs jacked it over various things bad press etc they were brothers and had an unusual surname.I was reffing at the time and being on courses with the man in charge of refs we got a bit of an insight in to the problems they were having recruiting and retaining refs of all levels.Even though the level of abuse is no where near what a football ref has to endure I realised pretty early on that it wasn't for me as I was still playing so I was limited to the amount I could do plus it was too much hassle and I missed the cameraderire
  • Options
    I tried to post that yesterday! I wouldnt write Wales off yet!
  • Options
    edited September 2011

And so to Culloden !!!!! ... will the mighty Saxons roll over the pernickity Picts and force a 1/4 final game v the Gaullists.

Johnson has f***ed up his team selection and gone all defensive by playing Armitage inplace of the Spanish fly Cueto and with Deacon instead of the ball handler from Gay (can 'we' still use that word in it's traditional sense?) Paree,  Monsieur Palmer. We will see cum 8 thirteeeeee  a. m.

The team everyone is glad to see the back of?  Samoa, dangerous and getting dangerouser .. I would just LOVE to see them in some kind of play off with Argentina.

Most polished and effective/ruthless team so far?.. New Zealand and they potentially have just four more games to bottle it one more time

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Really really enjoyed the S Africa Samoa game this morning.
    Very encouraging that S Africa look beatable. Samoa were a whisker away from the upset. Think you are right Lincs about the danger of the Samoans.

I really want to see a plate tournament at the next RWC. Some of the best games this time have been between the emerging nations.

richie - not too familiar with the Magners league, been to see Llanelli a few times. Think the Italian conection is a great idea. Referee recruitment is difficult across the game internationally. The refereeing at sixways where I watch most rugby is usually tolerated without abuse, though last year the standard noticeably dropped, though as usual  mistakes evened themselves out over the course of a game.

A great weekend coming up. I think Tonga will start strongly but lose by a good 30 points against France.
    Argentina have too much for Georgia by at least three scores.
    Wales Fiji will be great to watch, which Wales should win by 5 scores or more.
    Ireland Italy should also be watchable, again a comfortable bonus point 20+ points win for Ireland though the 50+ points they put over Russia should see them have a blinding, confident first half.
  • Options
    Semi-finals will be:

ENG/FRA vs IRE/WAL
    ARG/NZ vs AUS/RSA

Assuming all results go as they should over the weekend.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Semi-finals will be:

ENG/FRA vs IRE/WAL
    ARG/NZ vs AUS/RSA

Assuming all results go as they should over the weekend.
    I think you may have the groups mixed up as we may be in line for Eng Australia semi. or France RSA etc
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm just going off what ITV have got written down, which is:

B1/A2 vs C1/D2
    A1/B2 vs D1/C2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2011
    OK - I get it now!
  • Options
    Can anyone explain why if Scotland beat England by 8 points or more (but do not get a bonus point for four tries) they will finish above England, despite the points totals being equal and England having a far superior points difference - trying to figure it out in the office and nobody knows why.
  • Options
    Can anyone explain why if Scotland beat England by 8 points or more (but do not get a bonus point for four tries) they will finish above England, despite the points totals being equal and England having a far superior points difference - trying to figure it out in the office and nobody knows why.
    They will finish level on 14 points and the first rule is that if in the
    event of tied points in the table then the winner of the match between
    the two nations will be deemed as the higher ranked side. Scotland win so Scotland go through - head to head style
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Just been perusing the odds - bookies seem to favour
    SF1 Ireland v France

SF2 South Africa v All Blacks

and short odds on NZ France final, NZ to win.
  • Options
    Wales beat Ireland and England beat France in the quarters then the men from the Valleys crush England to reach a final showdown with Australia who are beneficiaries of a NZ choke in the over semi. HTH!!
  • Options
    So why do they have to beat us by 8 points? Surely they can beat us by 1 and the rule still applies?
  • Options
    No I know that one, if you lose by less than eight points you get a losing bonus point
  • Options
    Ah, I didn't know that. Gotcha.
  • Options
    No I know that one, if you lose by less than eight points you get a losing bonus point
    You What?   What sort of sport gives you a point for losing?

Oh, I can guess

: - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's a bit like tennis, a player may win the match 0-6,0-6,6-4,6-4,6-4, the winner has won 18 games to his opponents 24. Just 'the way it be in the rules/laws... '
  • Options
    Wales beat Ireland and England beat France in the quarters then the men from the Valleys crush England to reach a final showdown with Australia who are beneficiaries of a NZ choke in the over semi. HTH!!
    Wales 'crush' England after beating the Irish? .. dream on me boyo, and i'll have a puff of that optimistic pipe you're toking 
  • Options
    edited September 2011

The teams finishing in the top two of each pool will advance to the quarterfinals. The top three teams of each pool will receive automatic qualification to the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

If two or more teams are tied on match points, the following tiebreakers apply:

1. The winner of the match between the two teams (does not apply if more than two teams are tied);
    2. Difference between points scored for and points scored against in all pool matches;
    3. Difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches;
    4. Points scored in all its pool matches;

So, the Scots would qualify by dint of having the same number of win/lose/draw points as England AND having beaten England,   points/tries etc scored for and against do not come into the equation until point one is satisfied. 

• Options
    edited September 2011
    You What?   What sort of sport gives you a point for losing?

Oh, I can guess

: - )
    A socially superior sport that rewards effort.
    If only all life could be like this.
    BIG ;-)
  • Options
    Its half time Tonga vs France

What a 40 minutes of rugby from Tonga!
    I predicted they would come out strong, but thought the French would be better than this.
    Les Bleus are having a Soccer World Cup style meltdown. They are in disarray.
    There will be some bookies not enjoying this.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    ''One of the greatest shocks of World Cup history'' - Tonga win in an absolutely amazing game. They so deserved it and so nearly had three more tries.
  • Options
    Youngs and Wilko having absolute mares
  • Options
    Wilco will come good.
    Scots camped offside this second half, referee needs eyes in the back of his head.
    Great game.
  • Options
    Of course, I really don't rate Youngs at all though.

Got over at last, Ashton saves the day :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    With you about Youngs - dont rate him in the top 5 in England - MJ must see something in him.
    Flood looked good.
    Armitage was wonderful as was Tuilangi