Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Serious Thread: Moving away from SE London....

Quite possibly the 1st Serious Thread I've ever done: Bear with me:

For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to live in Ringwood/West Moors/Poole, the reason being My Grandparents moved down there when I was about 6/7 years old, and I remember,very fondly,the Ringwood Carnival and My Grandad taking Me to Bournemouth & Boscombe FC, (Especially the evening matches). I was born in Lewisham Hospital and have lived in St.Pauls Cray,Sydenham, Deptford, Catford and am Now back in Sydenham. Now at the age of 49 I'm living with a lovely Lady called Sandra, but, work is very scarce. My Mum is ill and my Dad is doing His best to keep it together, but at 78 He is not trained as a "Full-Time Carer". They live about amile away from Me and I go round everyday to take Him a paper and milk,etc. They do get "help" for Mum, but Lewisham Council is, once again, letting people down after taking money off them for years: Dad still has to pay around £100 amonth council tax.
Anyway, been offered a "free flat" by my cousin Mandy to stay in, in Ringwood, whilst looking for a place/work/etc if/when We move down that way.

So,(and Please be serious), what to do ?
Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    can you seriously consider moving away from your needy parents or if i've misread it, are they needy for your help ?
  • Options
    Reall tough choices MOG. I can't begin to offer advice other than to listen to yourself.. You will know what's best even if it's unclear at the moment. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thats the point OHM; They told me years ago to move down that way...I didn't. Mandy (cousin) has give Me this "Free" offer NOW, which is why I'm asking this question. No, offcourse i wouldn't just walk away. I'm not sure myself what I'm asking.
  • Options

and you know your parents would say don't worry about us we'll be ok

but you will worry about them so there it is ....

tough one but your heart will give you the answer

• Options
    What are the chances you could move your folks down that way?
  • Options
    Could your parents receive better help if they moved there instead?
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't leave my parents....
  • Options
    What are the chances you could move your folks down that way?
    Been in their Home too long...Dad won't move.
    Could your parents receive better help if they moved there instead?
    Without getting too "political" Mum & Dad would recieve better help anywhere than here: Dad was always self-employed, paid His Taxes and stamp, never "claimed a penny" but poxy LCC still take.
  • Options
    Can't really advise one way or the other however  2 things to consider:
    1. Is the probability of work greater there
    2. Is a trial period of 2 weeks / 1 month / 3 months a viable option
    Good luck
  • Options
    Can't really advise one way or the other however  2 things to consider:
    1. Is the probability of work greater there
    2. Is a trial period of 2 weeks / 1 month / 3 months a viable option
    Good luck
    1) Don't know (Am a carpet-fitter, but we've all been hit by recession (carpets are a "luxury" item) )
    2) Mandy says "As long as it takes" (but I don't want to take liberties).

Thank You for your reply.
    P
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MOG, I went through this in the 1990's. 

In 1997 I moved to Norwich to takeover a business with my best mate. My wife and I had no kids at the time and having been trying to start a family for a number years, and after the six IVF treatment had failed, we decided to make a new life away from the "rat race". I gave up a highly paid job at the time.

My Dad thought I was mad, and tried his best to dissuade me. My mum was more supportive. Both were in their middle to late 70's. 

It was a wrench but actually, we were only about two hours away. 

Having made the decision, I didn't regret it at all. Two years after we moved up, my Mum was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, and died a year later. She died on the day after we met our adopted son for the first time. Four years later my Dad died, on the day we met our adopted daughter for the first time.

Despite these things that happened, I am absolutely certain we made the right decision. We only have one life. That may sound selfish but had I stayed doing what I was doing, the pressure was slowly stifling me. Doing the M25 each way each day was not good for my health either.

In Norfolk we have a slightly less frantic pace of life, we have made many new friends and we have a decent place to bring up our children who, had we stayed, would certainly not be with us now.

These decisions are always personal ones but if you are not happy with the status quo, which I certainly wasn't, then you may feel you have much to gain and very little to lose.

All the very best wishes whatever you decide to do
  • Options

Ringwood/Poole is a fantastic area and I would love one day to move there myself, however with your parents clearly frail it sounds to me like a great offer but wrong timing. 

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Thank You BA/AC
    Need serious thinking/talking time with all involved.
    Thank You all for comments.
    Paul.

• Options
    It is a difficult decision for you MOG but at the end of the day surely you have got to live your life and make the right decision for you. You only get one stab at it so make sure you do what is right for you and I'm sure that is what your parents would want you to do so too. Good luck.
  • Options
    MOG, major dilemma with your parents but I've lived where you are and now live close to Ringwood & work in Poole & unless I had no choice would NEVER EVER go back. No offence intended to people living that way of course.

I know a fair few tradesman down this way, plumbers, tilers, sparkeys and more, could always ask around to see how they are getting on at the moment and see what the demand is like?
  • Options
    Please do cafcpolo: Carpet-fitter by trade but, at 50 (next year) whould be more than willing to be a "go-fer".
    Thank You.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    1> You need to do what is best for you. I appreciate that you want to do everything you can for your parents, but they will genuinely want you to 'live your own life'.
    2> If this is an opportunity with little risk of preventing you from coming back then you should consider it.
    3> And most important, what are you doing calling yourself 'Miserable Old Git' when you are only 49? I am 40 now and despite the fact that I'd rather be 25 I don't feel, at all, old. Stop selling yourself short. You should change your UserName to 'Miserablemiddleagedgit'

Remember that your parents brought you into this world to give you every opportunity to enjoy it. Not to ensure that you'd look after them when they get old!

Go for it!
  • Options

I have lived outside the UK since 1995. I missed my mother passing away (one day too late!) my mother-in-law is now very frail and my father, although well, is now in his mid eighties. When I moved from Ireland to Australia in 2005, I wrote a heartfelt letter to my Dad as I was going to be the second of his three boys in Oz and I was starting to feel a bit guilty about being so far away.

His response was clear and unequivocal: it's your life, I've raised you to be self sufficient and you must do what is best for you and your own family, so good luck with the move. 

So MOG, I would go to Poole, and live your life with your lovely lady. It's not so far away and if it is not feeling right at any point in the future, you can always go back. 

Incidentally, we are planning to return to the UK in 2012, sounds crazy I know, but there are a number of factors and it feels right. However, we are not going to be seeing either parent on a day-to-day basis.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Used to be "MiserableOld-ishGit", but was told (at 40) to drop the "-ish".
    ;-)

And Thank You KHA.
  • Options
    Remember that your parents brought you into this world to give you every opportunity to enjoy it. Not to ensure that you'd look after them when they get old!

Go for it!

I'd like to think this is what I would say to my kids.....(I'm 42 and my youngest is 5 tomorrow!).......tough choice MOG, but I believe you need to do what's right for you. I know my parents would want me to think that way....maybe discuss it with yours and ask for an honest opinion from them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's Dorset not Sydney. You can still see them (though appreciate that petrol is dear). Move.
  • Options

We did a reverse thing and left SE London to come down this way to care for two parents. We did what we believed to be right at the time but their deteriorating health problems meant that they basically took over my entire life and it was not at all easy to manage the competing demands. Now that both parents are dead, we find we just miss London more and more. We solved this problem by living in our caravan at Crystal Place campsite through the winter!

I don't think there is a clear answer for you, whatever you do will probably bring both benefits and regrets. One thing we did find out was that there was much less work out of London than in London (plumbing and heating|), there were longer distances to travel and thus and the profit margins were smaller, plus we couldn't 'cherry pick' the jobs any longer. But I was able to care for my Mum and Dad and that meant a lot to us.

Childhood memories tend to acquire a modicum of sentimentality and rose tints as we age, so there are pitfalls to watch out for. Good luck with your difficult decision MOG (and Sandra).

• Options
    MOG. You didn't mention whether you had brothers or sisters to lighten the load. Regardless, I would say go for it. Poole isn't too far away from Lewisham and you can always go back if things get tough for your Dad. Have you spoken about this to your parents?
  • Options
    A few disconnected thoughts - I don't know you or your parents or cousin at all, so may be wide of the mark.

First off, to a pretty large extent, benefits and social care are dictated more by central government policy and regulation than the discretion of local authorities - things like housing / council tax benefit work entirely on national rules, and most councils are cutting back on anything that is 'discretionary' rather than an obligation to do them.  But let's not get too far into politics.

It may be worth (if you've not already done so) you or your parents talking to an organisation like 'age concern' to see if parents are getting all they are entitled to (and I emphasise the word "entitled" here) - there may be benefits they are missing out on, there may be grants available for home insulation, adaptations to make access easier, and so on. 

And / or a play (you enter details anonymously) with 'Entitled To' to make sure they are getting the right council tax benefit and so on (you will need to enter info about their income and such - I don't know how much you know about their income etc or whether it's the kind of thing you can discuss with them)

I've no idea whether it's going to be easier for you to get a job outside London - London usually seems to do better (or at least not so badly) than the rest of the country in recessions, people tend to move towards London in search of work not away from it.  Having said that, I left London in 1989 and did better elsewhere.

As for the parents - difficult to know what to do.  Would you end up spending most weekends travelling up to London to do stuff for them?  Do they have other relatives nearby who can help?  Would they consider moving  down to Dorset if you did?

Personally, I'm getting close to thinking it's time I moved back to SE London (I have not quite made it back yet) so I can do more for an aged parent...

As for the offer from your cousin - it sounds good, but if it was my family I'd know there were going to be some sort of strings attached sooner or later.  You know your family, I don't.

And I'm not expecting you to answer / justify yourself for everything (or anything) I've said here.  Just airing what I'd be thinking about in the circumstances.

Best of luck whatever you do.
  • Options
    Again, thank You All.

(Another reason why CAFC supporters & CharltonLife are so lovely).
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    MOG, is it that your Dad won't leave the house, or won't leave the area? If there's little to no chance of your Mum's condition improving, then he needs to think about whether insisting on staying in the house is really the most practical solution. If they're rattling around in a place that's too big for them to manage, or your Mum is limited to only certain parts of the house due to mobility issues, then moving to somewhere that's smaller and/or only on one level may help. (Also, a smaller place may mean lower council tax too :-) )

It would also be worth investigating whether sheltered accommodation would be an option - my Nan dug her heels in and refused to consider it for quite some time, but now admits she should have done it years ago. The place she's in now is just like student halls for OAPs; they all have their own flats with kitchen bathroom etc, so they can have as much privacy as they want, but also communal areas where they have dinners, bingo nights etc. The community spirit there has been an absolute godsend since Grandad died earlier this year, as even with my parents and sister living only a couple of miles away, she would have been horribly isolated living in their old house.
  • Options

I have been through a similar thing MoG, I am self employed, carrying out plumbing and drainage works in offices in Central London, we are only very small and we  had 3 contracts cancelled in the space of 2 months totalling 120k, that was a HUGE amount of loss for us. We' have had 3 years of sleepless nights, robbing Peter to pay Paul but somehow we have managed to keep going, although in the process my credit rating has been shot to bits. We decided to sell our house and with the small equity we had we have managed to buy a modest place in France.

We are currently renting in the UK but the house we are living in at present is going on the market in April, so we will have to move.

My wife and I have the dilemma of either staying and paying rent or moving to France.

I am a similar age to you (48), we have 3 children aged 15, 11 and 5 and I too feel racked with guilt at possibly having to completely turn their lives upside down, however, I also feel that I could be giving them a wonderful opportunity and lets be honest, neither Poole or France are that far away, if it doesn't work out you can come back.

I would hate to see my children go through what we have been through in the last 3 years or so, if they did and they had the means to alter their lives for the better, I would give them my full support and blessing.

Life is certainly a very short thing, something you only appreciate as you get older (unfortunately).

Whatever you decide I would like to wish you the best of luck.

• Options
    Again, Thank You All.

Think I need Sandra, Mum (if not too drugged up) & Dad to sit round the table and discuss.....Even then its the "Heart/Head" thing.
  • Options
    And also (trying to be light hearted) who would I support: Bournemouth & Boscombe or Poole Town ?
    ;-)
  • Options
    MOG this is a difficult one to call I agree, however I would think an approach I would take is the one I took with my parents when I told them I was moving away from the London-ish area, (I had been living in New Eltham, Strood, Woking and back to New Eltham) but was moving north to Nottingham and I've never been back to live in the SE since. So I sat down with them and, although they were not in the best of health they were still able to fend for themselves, I told them I had to move to be with the (then) new love of my life. My now late dad, just said that it is my life and I had to do what is right for me and my mum nodded (although didnt say much to be honest) as if in agreement. I have now lived away from London area since 1989, I couldnt be at my dads beside when he passed away as I was too far away and it was sudden, but my mum understood. Mum is now in a sheltered home and I see her when I can, but (and this is the main thing) I have no regrets about moving away and always remember the words my dad said. I dont know if you have brothers and sisters (I did) but perhaps they could step in for you, however there is an opportunity here my friend and I would grab it with both hands........but discuss with your parents, you may be genuinely suprised (as I was) as they wish you well and tell you to follow your life as you wish.
    Not an easy decision mate.....I wish you well in whatever path you take.