Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MARK HULYER

Comments

•  As for Mark Hulyer, he sounds like Peter Ridsdale. Spent money we did not have, I would imagine watching Alan Simonson in a Charlton shirt was brilliant but if we signed Messi or Ronaldo today I would be worried more than excited.

I don't think that anybody gave it a thought in those days. As others have mentioned the Gliksteins by & large failed to invest & the monies that we were receiving for the likes of Marvin Hinton, Mike Bailey, Billy Bonds, Lenny Glover, Alan Campbell & on & on, simply paid the bills & kept the club running. I think that everyone was delighted to see the back of the Gliksteins (although later Michael became an easy scapegoat for fryer & his sunley mob) & to have a young & supposedly rich Charlton fan come in & sign some well know quality players (lol or so we thought !) & then sign a european footballer of the year from Barcelona was just incredible. Most of us were probably star struck as well as being bloody naive.
    Lol, but what I did not understand was how comes the attendence figures were the same as before after Alan Simonson came to us? I would of thought that would have brought back some of the fans. My dad stopped going when he heard Alan Campbell left because he was fed up with us becoming a selling club all the time.

I am so glad I am young enough to miss those bad times.

•  As for Mark Hulyer, he sounds like Peter Ridsdale. Spent money we did not have, I would imagine watching Alan Simonson in a Charlton shirt was brilliant but if we signed Messi or Ronaldo today I would be worried more than excited.

I don't think that anybody gave it a thought in those days. As others have mentioned the Gliksteins by & large failed to invest & the monies that we were receiving for the likes of Marvin Hinton, Mike Bailey, Billy Bonds, Lenny Glover, Alan Campbell & on & on, simply paid the bills & kept the club running. I think that everyone was delighted to see the back of the Gliksteins (although later Michael became an easy scapegoat for fryer & his sunley mob) & to have a young & supposedly rich Charlton fan come in & sign some well know quality players (lol or so we thought !) & then sign a european footballer of the year from Barcelona was just incredible. Most of us were probably star struck as well as being bloody naive.
    Lol, but what I did not understand was how comes the attendence figures were the same as before after Alan Simonson came to us? I would of thought that would have brought back some of the fans. My dad stopped going when he heard Alan Campbell left because he was fed up with us becoming a selling club all the time.

I am so glad I am young enough to miss those bad times.

Alan Campbell was the last of those that I mentioned & that would of been 70 or 71 I think so quite a gap before signing Simo. Attendances did pick up in his first couple of games but I think most people realised that as good as Simo was he couldn't turn 6 or 7 (& I'm probably underestimating) poor players into good. Hulyer couldn't con any more clubs into "selling" (giving) us players & so we were left with a poor team but with almost a "ringer" smuggled into the mix. A genius ringer tho'. Think that he almost went to the spuds as he came to the end of his short spell with us but in the end went home to play for his local club.
  • "He is the Ogbuagu, Osniji, Damanze Oyimba of Oguta".

Well,  that's cleared that up then.
  • itsmyballSeptember 21Quote
    who cares

I do you mug, otherwise I wouldn't post it....I had asked for a reason. I met a nephew of Richard Collins yesterday, and he asked me what happened to Mark Hulyer. I thought I would post and ask. So to you and others who want to post comments like that, DO ONE !!!!
  •  

Is 66 this year. Doesn't appear to be a company director anywhere and has been involved with a few dissolved companies.

Anyone know how he is and what is he up to?

His health is better than it was , put it that way , lives locally still and occasionally goes to watch the Darts . Not been the Valley for a while now
  • It wasnt Hulyer who nearly  f**ked the club up. We were pot less and he stepped in. I dont remember to many people moaning about him when he was in charge.

If the press had supported the Simonsen deal rather than taking the piss it could have worked re increased gates etc. They didnt. They loved the two Argies going to Spurs and were all over that but  first they just took the piss and said no why would a European Player of the year go to CHARLTON of all clubs. Then when he did they ignored it. Typical of our press then  and now.

Hulyer was a Charlton fan  he gave us (all to briefly) the only chance we will ever see at The Valley a Europen Footballer of The Year actually playing for Charlton. 
  • i agree with Goonerhater.
  • Goonerhater - at last, someone who remembers it for what it was. Hulyer was a dreamer, but he did nearly pull it off. I think someone like Danepak nearlly sponsored the whole thing, and it could have all been so different. We were going down the tubes anyway at that time. Hulyer lost his house and a lot more in the process. It does smack a little of Goldberg, however, this was a true Charlton fan who had a dream. These days we have a Man City supporter at the helm, so not the same.

Some people on here need to study the history a bit more, we weren't formed in 1998....

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2011

How can you lot slag him off, I agree with Goonerhater. Hulyer done what he thought was the best, he was a genuine fan who wanted Charlton to get back to the top. He was too late with the Keegan bid and that alone would have put a huge amount on the gate. It could have worked but it didn't............he tried his best!

It was the Gliksteins that ruined this club

• masicat, I think it'smyball was being ironic and he most likely didn't mean to insult you or the question....I think he meant who cares about Hulyer....rather than the actual question.

Least ways, that's how I read it.

• It was a facinating time to be a Charlton time and seeing Simmo grace the Valley pitch was something I'll never forget, so I'm grateful to Hulyer for that. I'd be very interested to know what he's up to these days and hope that he recovered from his losses.
  • As one who remembers both Michael Gliksten and Mark Hulyer here's my tenpenneth.

I was as fed up as anybody when we sold our steady conveyor belt of talent during the sixties and devastated when Len Glover went and Michael Gliksten was not my favourite person back then. However one grows up and learns more about the reality of the world. Michael Gliksten became chairman at the age of 23 or thereabouts and was still in his twenties when he sold all his players. How many of us can put our hands on our hearts and honestly say we would be capable of running a struggling second tier football club at that age? I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it and would probably have cocked up equally.

Hulyer was similar, in that he was mid twenties, and was a fan. I look on him (and did at the time) as akin to somebody who got his certificate for swimming one width of Woolwich baths without armbands and then decided, in the euphoria, to try and swim the English channel. A totally unrealistic aspiration and so it was with Mark. A successful small businessman who took a giant step out of his league. No malice in his motives whatsoever but just a young man in his twenties who thought himself capable of more than he was.

Again there are no doubt a few of us who fall (fell) (have fallen) into that category.

• In his thirties if he's 66 - he was going out with a schoolmates mum and he was suddenly mascot virtually every week - the fall out of his actions accelerated the disasters that followed but could be argued, prevented a slow and dull death - all part of our rich history. Better to be King for a day than schmuck for a lifetime - or maybe not?
  • Like I said - Hulyer=Goldberg
  • As one who remembers both Michael Gliksten and Mark Hulyer here's my tenpenneth.

I was as fed up as anybody when we sold our steady conveyor belt of talent during the sixties and devastated when Len Glover went and Michael Gliksten was not my favourite person back then. However one grows up and learns more about the reality of the world. Michael Gliksten became chairman at the age of 23 or thereabouts and was still in his twenties when he sold all his players. How many of us can put our hands on our hearts and honestly say we would be capable of running a struggling second tier football club at that age? I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it and would probably have cocked up equally.

Hulyer was similar, in that he was mid twenties, and was a fan. I look on him (and did at the time) as akin to somebody who got his certificate for swimming one width of Woolwich baths without armbands and then decided, in the euphoria, to try and swim the English channel. A totally unrealistic aspiration and so it was with Mark. A successful small businessman who took a giant step out of his league. No malice in his motives whatsoever but just a young man in his twenties who thought himself capable of more than he was.

Again there are no doubt a few of us who fall (fell) (have fallen) into that category.

This is a balanced and sensible viewpoint. 

The club had become the living dead before Hulyer turned up.  There was a complete team of ex Charlton players applying their trade in the top flight at the same time, many of which have been mentioned and contrary to one comment that supporters didn't care in those days, I would disagree because the majority had voted with their abscence.  

Attendancies were at a low and the atmosphere at times was like a morgue.  The media treated us as a joke club and again before Hulyer, we got the tag of a small nothing club, this was gained by our lack of ambition and selling every young player (Kieth Peacock the only exception) as well as any player brought in who increased in value. 

History proves it was a blessing in disguise Hulyer coming along because it finally shook the club up and ended the malaise even though it nearly ended the club. When we finally capitualted and it was headline sport story on the main TV news, it felt like someone in the family had been suffering with a terminal illness for 25 years and it was a relief to think that the pain had come to an end. 

Under Hulyer we had made a couple of decent signings before Simonsen (Carl Harris comes to mind)  and had just beaten Leeds away 1-2. 

Typicall Charlton luck at the time, first match after Simonsen's signing threw up opponents managed by Malcolm Allison.  My memory might be wrong but I seem to remember Simonsen was not properly match fit, with a winning team it might have been sensible having Simonsen on the bench to bring on latter for impact and keeping the returning fans happy.  Anyway who knows, we lost after a late second half fightback.  Had we won it might have kept the momentum and more fans returing to help the finances.

I spoke to Mark Hulyer many years later and mentioned this to him, but he said finances dictated that he had to have Simonsen playing day 1.

• We were a joke club, but IMO the worst time from that point of view was around 73-74, where the decline appeared terminal.  It's why I'll always recall the 74-75 promotion season fondly - we were going in the right direction again.

With Hulyer/Simonsen, I think the club expected more of an uplift (on & off the pitch) from the Simonsen signing - but we were moving into an era where crowds were pretty awful generally (Chelsea got 14,000 for their home game with us that season),   In that climate any big gamble was going to have an uncertain payback.

All this with the benefit of hindsight of course, but honestly at the time Hulyer never looked like he knew what he was doing, and it wasn't clear whether he really was a successful businessman.  The slightly spivvy looks din't add to his credibility

• edited September 2011
    When we were being "wound up" in the High Court I went up there to watch one day, met Mark Hulyer and his brother, went for a "few" and ended up having a great day with a really nice bloke who spoke about Charlton with the same feeling as I do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any chance we could get him along as a guest speaker at some stage? What a great night that would be.
  • Any chance we could get him along as a guest speaker at some stage? What a great night that would be.
    When you say "we" who do you mean?

• I spoke to him about doing something like that, many years ago. He wasn't keen on doing it then.
  • We were a joke club, but IMO the worst time from that point of view was around 73-74, where the decline appeared terminal.  It's why I'll always recall the 74-75 promotion season fondly - we were going in the right direction again.

With Hulyer/Simonsen, I think the club expected more of an uplift (on & off the pitch) from the Simonsen signing - but we were moving into an era where crowds were pretty awful generally (Chelsea got 14,000 for their home game with us that season),   In that climate any big gamble was going to have an uncertain payback.

All this with the benefit of hindsight of course, but honestly at the time Hulyer never looked like he knew what he was doing, and it wasn't clear whether he really was a successful businessman.  The slightly spivvy looks din't add to his credibility

Totally agree, the early 70's was the era of the move to potential move Milton Keynes, mid-table Div 3, 800 watching us at Rochdate & the "Village Idiots" outburst.  That was the low water mark.  Things then looked up for a while with the Flanagan/Hales teams, then descended into total farce with Hulyer/Simonson/Shipments of rubber/African Chief/NASL hook-ups/groundsharing/Danish ice-hockey players.  Hulyer at least brought an air of activity to the Valley.  The sale of our best players over this period, Hales/Flash/Elliot/Walsh were necessary to keep the circus running.  I never really blamed Michael glikstein for that, as I think he loved the club.  The damage was 1940/50's when the crowds were huge but his father/uncle failed to re-invest in team/stadium.  Something which would have taken the club to another level.

That said, if they had re-invested we wouldn't have our rich & varied history! 

• He was without doubt the worst thing that ever happened to our club. Full of swank,wank, false promises, false companies, hidden debts and trying to spend beyond his own means, the banks means and CAFC means.
    Correct if I am wrong but Hulyer started us on the slippery slope with separating the club from the Valley in his deals with Glikstein which eventually led us to bankruptcy and no Valley.
    I hate the man for what he done but i don't wish him ill but he is NOT on my Christmas card list and if i knew his address I would send him a bouncing cheque for the fun of it. Take that !!!!

I think it was Gliksten who separated the club from the ground, selling the club to Hulyer but retaining the ground, I wonder why he did that...

I think Michael Gliksten's motivation was a bit more complicated than that. If he had wanted simply to develop the land he had his opportunity when Charlton walked out in 1985 and whatever position the council had taken on that it would have been up to a planning inspector to decide. When he was persuaded that Martin Simons et al were not in the business of using The Valley for property development he sold it back to the club for a fair price. He did not want to sell it to Sunley's for reasons that should be obvious.

As for Mark Hulyer, he didn't have the money to buy the land and agreed a rent that he couldn't meet.

Airman, were there not several applications for planning permission for The Valley turned down?
    I viagly remember the Gliksteins having quite a few attempts to build something while we were playing up the road.
    Could be wrong, the memory's not good these days ; )
  • Henry Irving2:05PMQuote
    masicat said:

Any chance we could get him along as a guest speaker at some stage? What a great night that would be.

When you say "we" who do you mean

Us of course !!!
  • I repeat - he is not 66

masicat said:

Any chance we could get him along as a guest speaker at some stage? What a great night that would be.

Us of course !!!

I'm sure he'd love to re-live the time he took the club into bankruptcy and damn nearly into insolvency.

masicat said:

Us of course !!!

I'm sure he'd love to re-live the time he took the club into bankruptcy and damn nearly into insolvency.

If I recall corectly, didn't Simonsen hang up his boots after leaving us and moved to the states to star in a TV show called Mork & Mindy?
  • Born 12th May 1945 makes him 66