Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MARK HULYER

Comments

• Options
    His son Brad makes me laugh on Charlton real talk.
  • Options
    His son used to watch/live by my old semi pro side. Got chatting to him about Charlton when he saw me wearing a Charlton top. He told me his links to Charlton, then saw him over the Valley a few times, good lad, didn't get on subject of his dad.
  • Options
    https://www.fieldoo.com/markhulyer

Found this which may or not be of interest after Mark Hulyer came up on the Thomas Sandgaard thread.
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen re-signing?
  • Options
    Fucking hell, don't do that. I thought he was part of ESIv3... 
  • Options
    Unfortunately for Hulyer he had big ideas but not enough money, Heart was in the right place but not his bank balance
  • Options
    This thread is actually really interesting for an Addick who started supporting in the selhurst years. I thought he would be despised, but a lot of goodwill on here, and I can see why. "Champagne taste, light ale money" springs to mind :smiley:
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    This thread is actually really interesting for an Addick who started supporting in the selhurst years. I thought he would be despised, but a lot of goodwill on here, and I can see why. "Champagne taste, light ale money" springs to mind :smiley:
    He almost destroyed the club, but he didn't set out to and wanted only the bet things for the club and himself.

Of course he can be criticised and lessons should definitely be learnt from his mistakes hence why I mentioning him on the other thread as on the face of it, at least superficially, there appear to be one or two traits Hulyer and TS share. 
  • Options
    Yeah, clearly a lot or what he did can be criticised, and the club was brought to its knees while he was there tbf! But, it seems he inherited the problems and just had a crazy idea to buy the club he loved and try something new, even if he didnt have the cash to back it up. It was a massive gamble and it failed. At the time it must have been awful for the fans, apart from getting to watch AS for 20 game or so, but it's a kinda romantic story I think!
  • Options
    Any update on the boat load of rubber ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I enjoyed watching Simonsen as much as anyone but anyone thinking he would transform a team containing Berry, Ferns, Smith etc into a top team was mad. 

Hulyer got off lightly. In this day and age, he would've been slaughtered. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I enjoyed watching Simonsen as much as anyone but anyone thinking he would transform a team containing Berry, Ferns, Smith etc into a top team was mad. 

Hulyer got off lightly. In this day and age, he would've been slaughtered. 
    What is really sad is that a couple of years later he could have given Lennie's battlers a little bit of stardust in the top flight. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    As mentioned previously on the thread, Mark is my Dad’s cousin.

I also messaged Sandgaard yesterday wishing him luck and mentioned about the family connection/history with the club. Here was his response:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    16 games 9 goals i think we got from Simonsen , proper player and Barcelona let us off £200k i think
  • Options
    16 games 9 goals i think we got from Simonsen , proper player and Barcelona let us off £200k i think
    What were they gonna do, take our ground as payment? That would've still left us £195k short!
  • Options
    Something of relevance that I picked up a few years ago. The book has no Charlton content but has a hand written note to Mark Hulyer from the great man.

Plenty more Charlton programmes and memorabilia to be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums 
  • Options
    I can’t remember the full detail now but Lennie Lawrence spoke well of Mark Hulyer in his autobiography (I’m sure plenty on here will remember). 
    Pretty much what has been said on here already - heart in the right place, really tried etc.....
  • Options
    All the Chief could come up with when we were bankrupt, was to moan that we had 2 telephone lines at the club. Really bad times.
    He also mentioned lavish sandwiches in the boardroom!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A short time after we returned to The Valley I believe he approached the board about investing in the club again. Richard Collins among others were strongly against that idea. Watching Allan Simonsen play for us is the biggest privilege I've ever experienced around football. Wish my son's could have seen him - would grace today's Premier League.
  • Options
    Spouting crap on Twitter about players kneeling 
  • Options
    Strange how things work out, Mark Huyler for me, will always be remembered for the mistakes and costly ones at that. The embarrassing radio advert, selling Paul Walsh and getting Steve White in return, not a bad player but we had Killer Hales and didnt need another goal poacher. Putting Ken Craggs in charge, selling Paul Elliott for peanuts or rather to pay the wage bill. All that and Simonsen too plus the Chief whose name I can't remember or spell even if I could.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Strange how things work out, Mark Huyler for me, will always be remembered for the mistakes and costly ones at that. The embarrassing radio advert, selling Paul Walsh and getting Steve White in return, not a bad player but we had Killer Hales and didnt need another goal poacher. Putting Ken Craggs in charge, selling Paul Elliott for peanuts or rather to pay the wage bill. All that and Simonsen too plus the Chief whose name I can't remember or spell even if I could.
    wasn't it Nzeribe?
  • Options
    That is correct.

Also the boat load of rubber arriving at the docks that would have cleared all the debts.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Would help if you mentioned exactly who you are referring to?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Would help if you mentioned exactly who you are referring to?
    Presume it's Mark Hulyer on the Mark Hulyer thread.
    Best ever, poor old @SoundAsa£