Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's your favourite brand(s) of beer?

Comments

• Options
    Brakspear's ordinary for a session beer
    Pilsner Urquell or Boheme (tesco's, amazingly) for a cold tasty lager

Something dark from Wychwood, or Fullers Porter, for the winter
  • Options
    Youngs special was great, is it really worse now? Drank some Gales bitter once (from Portsmouth or somewhere), liked it a lot.
    Youngs Special is crap now. Don't know what they've done to it.
  • Options
    Love a Pilsner Urquell.
  • Options

I also use the Guinness default in a dodgy pub.  If in doubt....Guinness. 

Saw that somebody mentioned Red Stripe.  Was under (false) impression that this was heavy and v strong, but after somebody left some at our house after a party (rude not to at least try it) realised it's very drinkable.  It became our house beer for a while.  It justed didn't look so good as corona in the fridge covered in condensation...............

• Options
    Cant beat a peroni
  • Options
    Moretti of course
    Superbock if I can get it

Corona Lite or Heineken are good too.
    If I'm looking to go mental for a short period of time I call on the King

• Options
    Cobra, Rolling Rock or Tsing Tsau.

This changes when I'm on hols to whatever the local beer is. Banks' in Barbados, Mythos in Greece, Efe's in Turkey, etc. etc.

Went to the Great British Beer Festival in the Summer and tried plenty of real ales, but sadly none of them really grabbed me. Great afternoon/evening out though.
  • Options
    Peroni for me too. Best when drunk from a frosted Peroni glass from the freezer.
    I will be in the Algarve tomorrow so it will be Super Bock I suppose.
  • Options
    Loved drinking Pilsner Urquell out in Prague, top stuff. Will prefer a Becks Vier or Amstel normally.

Glad to see someone else mentioned 'Gem', was drinking that in a pub in Wimbledon, was pretty decent.

If i want to go for power in a bottle as Corona's aren't cutting it, it's all about upgrading to a few bottles of Desperado. Tequila in beer, keeps the mind sharp.
  • Options
    not worth even discussin cos us youngens only get told beer and lager is shite and real ale is for real men bla bla bla.

i like anything you can have with lemonade.
    I think you're wrong about that - I went to the Great British Beer Festival this year and I definitely put the average age up - lot's of young people into real ale these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Young's Special. 

People who say it tastes different now are just trying to be "clever" and prove they are in the know about the brewing moving to a different site. If there is a difference it is only microscopic. Much more likely that your taste buds have changed.
  • Options
    Theakstons Old Pec, Ringwood Old Thumper, Young's Winter Warmer, Cobra, Red Stripe, Banks (Barbados)..

The list goes on, and on....
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Somebody mentioned Courage Imperial Russian Stout?
    Back in the 70s, I really aquired a taste for this - but haven't seen it for many moons.

In those days, I lived at Bromley Common and used to work behind the bar at the Sawyers Arms, a Shepherd Neame house next to the bus garage.
    It was one of the few in the area (and I mean only a few) that served beer on handpumps, before CAMRA started it's Real Ale campaign.
    Sheps best seller was Master Brew, a proper bitter - and I was hooked. After that, to drink gassy keg beers was unpalatable, and if I was in a pub that only sold gas beer, then bottled Guinness had to do.

Other handpulled beers of the time available on the London/Kent borders were Bass, and Charringtons IPA (haven't seen that in years);
    the Bull in Chislehurst served Youngs, and the Roebuck in Lewisham sold Fullers.

The White Lion at Locksbottom sold Theakstons Old Peculiar. I remember sitting out in the beer garden there one warm July evening in 1977 discussing New Wave and Punk, which back then had really turned music on it's head.

One little oddity that I remember was Worthington White Shield, my first introduction  as a teenager to bottle-conditioned ales.
    Again, haven't seen that for a long time.

• Options

Sorry Off_it you're wrong on this one. All Youngs beer is not what it was, not just the Special. It's not about the moving of the brewery it's about Youngs actually not exisiting anymore. Charles Wells bought them out quite a few years ago now. A real shame. Similar case with Courage. Courage Best when well kept was without doubt the best bitter available in the South East for many years. Sadly Courage went through many takeovers and the beer is now produced by others who nothing to do with the old Courage firm.

The British Oak, The White Hart (Eltham) and The Beehive are three prime examples of where superb Courage Best was served throughout the 70's, 80's and the begining of the 90's.

I made a tounge in cheek comment earlier which no one picked up on, I love beer really and my OP named the worst I could think of!

These days Shep Neame are my favoutite local brewers, I love Adnams too. Fullers have their moments but Pride just doesn't do it for me. ESB is lovely! Fullers also have bought a lot of smaller firms like Gales for example and HSB can be found in some Fuller pubs.

Another great firm are Hall & Woodhouse who produce the wonderful Tanglefoot.

I do really miss proper Courage Best though and Directors. I had a couple of pints of Directors last night in The Windmill, Mill St W1. It tasted ok but nothing like Directors! The Windmill is a "Youngs" pub ironicaly!

• Options
    It's not uncommon for beer to be changed.  I used to love drinking Abbot and St Edmunds, but what is sold as St Edmunds now is a couple of percent weaker than the old St Edmunds, so far from pepping up the Abbot, it is watering it down.
  • Options
    Just thought of another.  Old Speckled Hen. It's ok now, but not a patch on what it used to be.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    As you've probably guessed from my ramblings above, I love a good bitter ......which is why I'm no fan of Tribute from St Austell Brewery, despite living in Cornwall.  Their Proper Job is a much better beer in my book, plus also their premium ale HSD at over 5%.

Skinners Brewery at Truro make a very popular range, but like many Cornish ales are just a little too sweet for my liking - Betty Stoggs, Heligan Honey, Cornish Knocker, etc.

Don't get me started on Doombar ...... a pint of Doom used to be a fabulous tipple a while back, but it just aint the same nowadays  - so now I avoid.

And as CliveG says, Courage Best .....gawd knows, it's putrid compared to what it used to be; been told by local publicans that it keeps for up to 3 weeks, which is why so many pubs stock it. As many will know, once a barrel is tapped, shelf life can be as little as 4 days although some run to 7 or even 10 days. But none last anywhere near as long as Courage Best - so what exactly is in it ????

Another no-no for me is Greene King - despite being Suffolk based it owns 1,600 pubs and some are even down here in Cornwall - I just can't come to terms with the taste; must be the muddy water it seems to be  made with.

Great little brewery becoming well established in Princetown, and that's Dartmoor Brewery ......they make Old Jail, and Legend - very palatable. Leg End (as we call it down here) is also available bottle conditioned.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

• Options
    Anything by Adnams, currently in my flat near Southwold having a can of Adnams The Bitter. They do cunning things though....draught Broadside 4.7%', bottled 6.2% what a pleasant oversight! Have a bottle of Bishops Finger and Brakspear Oxford Gold on hand too. Fursty Ferret another favourite.

Sainsburys now do an own brand taste the difference Shepherd Neame ale and a 5.9% Marstons IPA.

HugoZHackenbush introduced me on one trip to the North East to Tuborg Christmas ale and Elephant beer, both came in 33cl cans.... Stunning!
  • Options

Sorry Off_it you're wrong on this one. All Youngs beer is not what it was, not just the Special. It's not about the moving of the brewery it's about Youngs actually not exisiting anymore. Charles Wells bought them out quite a few years ago now. A real shame. 

Young's don't exist anymore? Blimey, that's a turn up for the book. I must have completely imagined going to see them in Wandsworth last Friday and talking to one of their finance people on the phone earlier today then. Thanks for putting me straight on that one.

(Tastebuds)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe that Charles Wells merged with Youngs 4 or 5 years ago, but Youngs continues to remain as a brand and continues to brew ale as previously.
  • Options

The company was founded as a brewery in 1831 by Charles Young and Anthony Bainbridge when they purchased the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth. The company closed the Ram Brewery in 2006, and the brewing operation was transferred to a new company, Wells & Young's Brewing Company Ltd, which was a joint brewing venture with Charles Wells Brewery. Young's held 40% of the shares in the new company until the sale of their stake to Charles Wells was announced in August 2011. There is a rolling contract for Young's to take beers produced by Wells & Young's.

Until its closure in 2006, the company's Ram Brewery in Wandsworth was claimed to be Britain's oldest brewing site in continuous operation, with a history dating back to the 1550s when a Humphrey Langridge, "beer-brewer at Wandsworth", leased the Ram pub.

As I said, Youngs DO NOT exist anymore!

The Brewery has gone and so has the company. Charles Wells bought the whole thing out but obviously keep the brand name. Hope that clears it up for you.

• Options
    Young's Special. 

People who say it tastes different now are just trying to be "clever" and prove they are in the know about the brewing moving to a different site. If there is a difference it is only microscopic. Much more likely that your taste buds have changed.
    Maybe I've just had it in Pubs where it's not been looked after well. Maybe it's just crap now. All I can tell you is it has not tasted as good as I've had before for some time.
  • Options

The company was founded as a brewery in 1831 by Charles Young and Anthony Bainbridge when they purchased the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth. The company closed the Ram Brewery in 2006, and the brewing operation was transferred to a new company, Wells & Young's Brewing Company Ltd, which was a joint brewing venture with Charles Wells Brewery. Young's held 40% of the shares in the new company until the sale of their stake to Charles Wells was announced in August 2011. There is a rolling contract for Young's to take beers produced by Wells & Young's.

Until its closure in 2006, the company's Ram Brewery in Wandsworth was claimed to be Britain's oldest brewing site in continuous operation, with a history dating back to the 1550s when a Humphrey Langridge, "beer-brewer at Wandsworth", leased the Ram pub.

As I said, Youngs DO NOT exist anymore!

The Brewery has gone and so has the company. Charles Wells bought the whole thing out but obviously keep the brand name. Hope that clears it up for you.

Once again, thanks for the history lesson cliveg. However, you are talking absolute rubbish. Young and Co.'s Brewery PLC is still very much in existence. 

How do I know this? Because I went to see them last week and am in the process of doing some work for them. Take a wild guess who the Engagement Letter is addressed to. 

The Ram Brewery shut down a few years back and the beer is now brewed by Charles Wells, but the company still exists and now concentrates wholly on running it's managed and tenanted pub portfolio.

But hey, you don't have to take my word for it - have a look on their website if you don't believe me.

Hope this clears things up for YOU.

• Options

They may manage pubs, but they don't brew beer. This thread is about beer. Everyone apart from you has commented on how Youngs beer is now not what it was, you accused people of trying to be clever! As far as BEER is concerned, YOUNGS do not exist. You carry on doing your business with a company called Youngs in Wandsworth, this company has nothing to do with beer!

I hope this finally clears everything up for everyone.

• Options
    Shots.
    Of anything.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

They may manage pubs, but they don't brew beer. This thread is about beer. Everyone apart from you has commented on how Youngs beer is now not what it was, you accused people of trying to be clever! As far as BEER is concerned, YOUNGS do not exist. You carry on doing your business with a company called Youngs in Wandsworth, this company has nothing to do with beer!

I hope this finally clears everything up for everyone.

Ah, nice backtracking, but that's not what you said, was it? You said the company didn't exist anymore. Face it, you were just plain WRONG. It happens.

And a pub company with a long history of brewing that now manages pubs has "nothing to do with beer"? How bizarre. 

It's the same company as it always was (incorporated in 1890, if you want to have a look on the Comapnies House website), it has just focused on one aspect of it's operations and sold another. Would Apple not be Apple anymore if it sold off it's ipad brand and concentrated on ipods. No, that would be ridiculous.

I hope this has finally cleared things up for you.
  • Options
    Tennants Super, although Crest 10% is nice too.  Carlsberg Special Brew if I'm feeling flush and it's a special occasion.

Nurse!          NURSE!
    Are you one of those who sit on the bench in the high st on a saturday afternoon, shouting at strangers?
  • Options

I would be interested what some of my fellow Canadian Addicks drink beer wise?  "Canterbury" beer, brewed in Prince George is very good indeed.  Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale is also very nice.  Rickards Dark if I just want one.  Also like some of the micro breweries such as Granville Island.  So many cracking beers over here.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Trappist beer, Orval, is my favourite.

I hope this clears it up for YOU ALL.