Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's your favourite brand(s) of beer?

Comments

• Corona or Kronenbourg are my favourites, but can be partial to a San Miguel.
  • Interesting "debate" about Youngs - I would've joined in if I'd been about, but I think  you've covered it.

So many of the beers I remember from my youth don't exist or if they do are brewed by different companies in different locations. The science of brewing is very complex and the taste of the beer has a lot to do with the water that is used and the yeast, hence the difficulty in reproducing the taste of beers like Youngs when you move to a completely different location. Having said that, the breweries do go to great lengths to taste match when they move. The problem is, I think the taste of Youngs changed in the years BEFORE they moved out of Wandsworth.

• From my uni days, I couldn't beat a pint of belhaven or Caledonian 80s, but my gave is Orkney dark island. Lager wise, love Asian and south american beers. Particularly when on holiday in south america or Asia! Singha, quilmes, beer Lao, Hanoi beer, Chang, polar etc
  • Over here it's a Peroni at home or James Squire Golden or Amber at the Pub. I do love Bintang when I get up to Bali.
    In the UK any London Pride does it for me.........
  • Trappist beer, Orval, is my favourite.

I hope this clears it up for YOU ALL.
    I seem to remember Triple Trappist, which is hard to say after a few Trapple Trippists
  • I love an Old Speckled Hen or a Hobgoblin myself.

• edited September 2011
    Possibly the worst dark lager in the world.
    Horrid stuff

• edited September 2011
    Peru has a lovely refreshing beer with a distictive aroma.

That is apparently drunk by Barack Obama. Who collects the remains at parties.  Glad he hasn't lost the common touch.
  • edited September 2011

That is apparently drunk by Barack Obama. Who collects the remains at parties.  Glad he hasn't lost the common touch.
    No its an advert for a game rather than a beer - my mistake!
    We used to use this poster at beach tournaments.
  • I'd strongly recommend a bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale from Australia's last remaining family owned brewery.  The secondry fermentation in the bottle must help although it does have a sediment.  Mrs Cafcfan's now deceased Uncle has a whole brewery named after him:  Buffy's Brewery in Norfolk - their stuff is good too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jail Ale.
  • Boddingtons has got to be the pits! No wonder they ask whether you "Want a flake in that love"? Hobgoblin is a tasty beer.
  • I had the pleasure of living in Yorkshire for 3 - 4 years in the 1990s & discovered some beautiful local ales.Tetleys is well known & is a nice creamy beer while Sam Smiths & the Black Sheep Brewery make some lovely bitters.
  • Whatever happened to Tennants Extra? Lovely lager. (Not to be confused with Tennants Super!)
  • Moretti of course
    Superbock if I can get it

Corona Lite or Heineken are good too.
    If I'm looking to go mental for a short period of time I call on the King

Mort, what is the beer at the bottom "the king"?

Oggy, do St Austells still do "tinners".  Used to enjoy that, another good session beer.  Remember being very ill after a night on HSD many years ago down in St Just.

• edited October 2011
    For me its Cobra, Tiger, Becks Vier (on tap), Corona and Desperado's in the summer, with London Pride or Courage Best in the colder months. Only started drinking Ale recently, past year or so. I'll try whatever is local. That goes for cider too when I'm visiting friends in the West Country. 

Hope that clears is up for you all! :D 

• I still don't drink but am now very tempted
  • Sorry about the formatting, no idea what's going on there!
  • it's because you're pished
  • Not yet! It is a Friday, good day for a drink. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Kwak. Fantastic Belgian beer!

As for lager in this country, I'd go for Moretti in most cases. Coors light is a very refreshing session lager it has to be said.

• Young's Special. 

People who say it tastes different now are just trying to be "clever" and prove they are in the know about the brewing moving to a different site. If there is a difference it is only microscopic. Much more likely that your taste buds have changed.

Interesting "debate" about Youngs - I would've joined in if I'd been about, but I think  you've covered it.

So many of the beers I remember from my youth don't exist or if they do are brewed by different companies in different locations. The science of brewing is very complex and the taste of the beer has a lot to do with the water that is used and the yeast, hence the difficulty in reproducing the taste of beers like Youngs when you move to a completely different location. Having said that, the breweries do go to great lengths to taste match when they move. The problem is, I think the taste of Youngs changed in the years BEFORE they moved out of Wandsworth.

I also seem to remember hearing they had changed the Yeast culture. Would explain a lot but it is only a distant memory of a conversation. (Possibly a few pints down too)
  • My father in law keeps banging on about a beer called white shield I think he said, that also has sediment in the bottle
    anyone know what he's on about?
  • Very enjoyable thread, setting me up nicely for my Friday PU

Paulbaconsarnie, I must admit I never even tried Jezek. I had to go look it up. Its from one of the small breweries which have saved themselves from extinction and are making ground. If anyone else comes to Prague I also recommend Bernard and Svijany. I don't like Staropramen, but they have just launched "nefiltrovane" (unfiltered) which was a completely different gravy. 

In the last two holidays on the chilly but atmospheric German coast, I've discovered Jever. It has a crisp herby taste, and is a stylish brand, with gorgeous wallpapers of its coastal heritage to remind you of where you first drunk it. I know, I'm a sucker for it, I work in advertising, but it is good beer too, try it if you see it.

Creepyaddick: White Shield is a venerable old brand brewed under the Worthington brand name by Bass as it used to be called, in Burton
  • Anyone mentioned Deuchars or Sierra Nevada yet?  The latter is a really nice American amber brew, not easy to find here but not impossible (on tap at the Volunteer at the top of Baker St)

Peroni overrated in my view - can't see why pay more vs Stella or Grolsch

• Cheers PA might see if I can get hold of some!
  • Vinnie V wrote:

So many of the beers I remember from my youth don't exist

Agreed, Thank god I'll never have to drink Party 7, Red Barrel or the truly awful Young's Saxon lager ever again.  Kids, you don't know how well off you are...

• Stella or peroni for me. Got a lovely cold pint of stella on the table now
  • Vinnie V wrote:

So many of the beers I remember from my youth don't exist

Agreed, Thank god I'll never have to drink Party 7, Red Barrel or the truly awful Young's Saxon lager ever again.  Kids, you don't know how well off you are...

I didn't write that. The mysterious quote Pixies are back. But what ever Happened to Flowers IPA. Used to be everywhere. I haven't seen it in years.
  • Somebody mentioned Courages Directors earlier.  Do they still brew it?  That was my ale of choice for a bit.  Used to drink  that at Kings Head in Bexley Village, my old local, on last visit in May I noticed there were no courages beers.  Anybody know what happened there?