Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's your favourite brand(s) of beer?

Comments

• Options
    Somebody mentioned Courages Directors earlier.  Do they still brew it?  That was my ale of choice for a bit.  Used to drink  that at Kings Head in Bexley Village, my old local, on last visit in May I noticed there were no courages beers.  Anybody know what happened there?
    Yeah. They serve it in most Wetherspoons. Seems to taste a bit plasticy in my local though.
  • Options
    In Boston I drink Sam Adams Summer Ale - Not found it here though
  • Options
    Somebody mentioned Courages Directors earlier.  Do they still brew it?  That was my ale of choice for a bit.  Used to drink  that at Kings Head in Bexley Village, my old local, on last visit in May I noticed there were no courages beers.  Anybody know what happened there?
    Yeah. They serve it in most Wetherspoons. Seems to taste a bit plasticy in my local though.

Never liked Courage Directors. It always seemed to be full of chemicals to me (not that I know anything about chemicals in beer)

• Options
    Has anyone ever tried Robinsons Cider?
    Just had a very convivial afternoon  in a pub straight from the 1890's which served it.
    Easily the best cider I have ever tasted. And I LOVE cider
  • Options
    I do love a pint of Caffreys but I only know one pub near me that sells it :-(
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    oh and a friendly local bought me a half of Skullsplitter, from Orkney apparantly
  • Options

Too many great beers to choose from so I'll go for Fiji Bitter simply for magical memories of time spent in places like Suva, Savu Savu, Nausori and Levuka.

FIJI BITTER LOVERS

• Options
    Isn't Davy's Old Wallop Courage Directors?
  • Options

A picture of Charles Wells for cliveg :-)
  • Options
    Marstons Owd Rodger and Robinson's Old Tom are good strong ales :-)

I used to get polypins from Bitter Experience, Bexleyheath every xmas. Used to have on pump at the Little Gem in Aylesford before the pub went down the pan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't Davy's Old Wallop Courage Directors?

It used to be but now it's Shepard Neame Spitfire, Davys Ordinary is Master Brew. Shep  Neame did a deal with Davys after Courage ceased to exist as a brewery.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Courage sold all their pubs about 15 years ago when Courage ceased to brew beer. The Courage name was sold on that's why you still see Courage Best and Directors but neither are anything like the old original beers. Same thing that has now happened to Youngs since they ceased to brew beer and sold their brand to Charles Wells.Apparently Youngs now just manage pubs.

It's all very, very sad in my opinion.

• Options

Vinnie V wrote:

So many of the beers I remember from my youth don't exist

Agreed, Thank god I'll never have to drink Party 7, Red Barrel or the truly awful Young's Saxon lager ever again.  Kids, you don't know how well off you are...

I didn't write that. The mysterious quote Pixies are back. But what ever Happened to Flowers IPA. Used to be everywhere. I haven't seen it in years.
    That was me! Since the recent change the quoting on here has been crape!
  • Options

Never liked Courage Directors. It always seemed to be full of chemicals to me (not that I know anything about chemicals in beer)

There was nothing chemical about the old original Directors.
  • Options
    Clive
    You would love the three Kings in Hanley Swan. It appears to have no electricity and all Ales seem to be around £2.30

Present day:

A rare unspoilt pub in rural Worcestershire, The Three Kings received
    the ultimate award of CAMRA National Pub of the Year in 1993 and was
    runner-up in 1998. In 2003 it was top of a list of six of the best
    historic pubs selected by Victorian Society chairman Geoff Brandwood.

Landlord Sue Roberts normally serves two regular beers, Hobson’s and
    Butcombe, plus a changing selection of three from as far a field as
    Orkney (Skullsplitter at 8.5%, a hefty pint) and the Scilly Isles. Since
    records began in 1992, the pub has served more than 3500 different
    real ales.

A pub reviewer said, “I adore The Three Kings because it’s like
    stepping into a bygone era. Go there if you want proper beer, good
    conversation and no mod cons.”

• Options
    Jail Ale.
    Red Mist .........Agree, great pint from Dartmoor Brewery, Misty. Have you tried their Legend? Very nice easy drinking beer at 4.4%.
    Bottle conditioned Legend available too.

You seem to be not too far from me, mate? We'll have to meet up some time (perhaps with other West Country Charlton locals) and talk football, beer and everything else?

Bermuda_red
    .......haven't seen Tinners for a while, maybe still available down the wild & woolly end of Cornwall?
    HSD packs one hell of a wallop ..... not really a session beer, is it?  haha

Creepy........Worthington White Shield, bottle-conditioned - mentioned it in my post on page 2 of this thread. Like all bottle conditioned beers, you had to be really careful how you poured it although it just made the beer in your glass cloudy if you carelessly poured in the sediment.
    Haven't seen it for years, though.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Edit for Creepy ........ Tell your Dad!
    White Shield still available, won CAMRA 2006 Bottle conditioned Ale of the Year (Bit like Semedo winning POTY, I suppose).

http://www.worthingtonswhiteshield.com/oldest_beer.html
  • Options

Guinness, Bishop's Finger or from a few years ago Shepherd Neame's 'Celebration Ale' - a few of them would send you nuts! Haven't seen that for a while now.

• Options
    On tap - Guinness. Always loved it, and has been my stalwart now for twenty years. In fact, I won't drink in a boozer where I know the Guinness is shit. Caffreys on tap is nice too. As for lagers, most on tap are utterly dreadful - went to Munich a few years back and, after not touching lager on tap for about five years drank it exclusively in the brau houses - it was a completely different drink to the alcoholic chemical soup pumped out over here. Favourite bottled beers are Innis & Gunn (mentioned above by someone - it's fantastic) and Modelo (Mexican beer as rare as hen's teeth over here, well worth tracking it down if you can - especially Modelo Negro - it's awesome)
  • Options
    Must admit, I do like the little bottles of St Omer which I get on day trips to France. Real quality beer. Am about to toast kermit with one -ok two then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A guy at work (after 2 years unemployed you don't know how good it is to write those words!) really rates a Turkish beer - if only I could remember the name, but I have had 3 pints of Master Brew already!
  • Options
    Efes?
  • Options
    Must admit, I do like the little bottles of St Omer which I get on day trips to France. Real quality beer. Am about to toast kermit with one -ok two then.
    We had a pallet load of this for our wedding!
    After a 24 hour going to France and stopping at a nightclub in Folkestone on the way back session, I had to put all 114 cases in my shed at 4 o'clock in the morning
  • Options
    tempted to have another couple (in my Charlton pint glass)!!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Unbelievable surprise today!

Had to meet some of the Crawley Town staff today and found out they stock bottles of Mahou! Happy days  :)

Thabks Oggy I'll tell the father in law
  • Options
    can't manage just to list one...

Batemans - especially the mild, or the Salem Porter

Shepherd Neame - probably 'Early Bird'

Hogs Back - Hop Garden Gold
  • Options
    Cameron's 6th Sense (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere).  Trying it for the first time tonight.  Lovely :-)
  • Options

Victoria for me, a nice Mexican lager - unlike Corona and Sol (horrible stuff)

• Options
    Fullers London Pride ( followed by some of the Cornish beers, Adnams and Timothy Taylor Landlord ).