Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrity So Called Fans

Comments

• Options
    How, why and when people (or celebs) follow football teams is up to them really - I don't really care and can't really see how its right to criticise them. Football is watched by a variety of fans, some passionate and some not so passionate. Is the guy (celeb) who goes to occasional games and falls asleep less of a fan than anyone else? Some people have other commitments and others don't. Let's face it, with Premier League clubs charging up to £100 for a non corporate seat, you have to be a celeb to be able to afford to go! As for Danny Baker - I think that he's entitled to talk about Millwall without living at The Den every second of his life since he was an embryo. We have celeb fans, who never attend the Valley - are they now not fans?
    This.
  • Options
    Going back to Norwich.............Wasn't Delia Smith an Ipswich fan in a previous life?  I'm sure a picture came out when Norwich were in the prem (let's be avin ya period) with delia all decked out in tractor colours.............

Sure one of you smart arses will find it. ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Here we go..............................

http://www.orange.co.uk/entertainment/television/pics/3590_4.htm?linkfrom=<!--linkfromvariable-->&amp;link=link_back&amp;article=deliastvhighsandlows

Edit: looking at that scarf, I'm not convinced that hasn't been photoshopped as it seems suspiciously out of focus..........hmm
  • Options

He didn't watch, he fell asleep. That was my point but everyone seems to have missed that.

Just to clarify, in my dictionary Ponce does not mean Gay.

One of the lads at the back of K Block is always falling asleep during the game. But i always forget to bring a marker pen.

Fry = Legend. 

• Options
    Going back to Norwich.............Wasn't Delia Smith an Ipswich fan in a previous life?  I'm sure a picture came out when Norwich were in the prem (let's be avin ya period) with delia all decked out in tractor colours.............

Sure one of you smart arses will find it. ;-)
    she lived local, so might have even been an addick!
  • Options
    I thought it was funny yesterday seeing Jim Davidson after the game , he wanted to get into one of the directors lounges i think , and he said 'Excuse me , Ex celebrity coming through'
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    It's easy to have a dig at famous people - especially when they are asleep and can't defend themselves ;-)  I don't believe for one minute that he "doesn't really like football".  If it's not his thing, he sure is a good bluffer:  http://www.stephenfry.com/2011/08/13/open-letter-to-all-who-despise-sport/

• Options
    Surprised Kelvin Mckenzie hasnt made the list
  • Options
    any famous celebrity Charlton fans? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The really suspect one is Danny Baker. To talk like he does about the Spanners you'd think he's been darn the Den every week since he was a toddler. I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe this is very far from being the case. Professional Spanner....?
    Spanner yes but he was a football fan and a Millwall fan long before it became fashionable.

And he talks about going to the Den every week because he did.    Did he, or someone with the same name, also claim to be a Man Utd supporter in a newspaper article in about 1968?  yes he/they did.  I know cos I saw it in the same magazine you did : - )
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    No
    cheers for that short and sweet answer 
  • Options
    He would be in the directors box, he is a Norwich director!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-10968940
  • Options
    No
    Whoooooooooooooosh

It was a joke.  Lighten up
  • Options
    No
    Whoooooooooooooosh

It was a joke.  Lighten up
    I know so was my reply

Lighten up ; )   
  • Options
    edited October 2011

• Options
    edited October 2011

Vinnie V says Fry=Legend.

Please elaborate.

• Options
    Totally agree with the OP.  Poor old Stephen, remember the days when a chap could be famous without having to pretend to have an aliegance with a ghastly sports team.  At least Man U have comfy seats and there's not too much noise so you can have a nice nap.  I've nothing against people saying they don't like football.  The other day I was at a party and had to listen to a bunch of pricks giving me their opinion about - yeah - the Premier League - yeah - 20 years ago, they'd have been allowed to just say they have no interest and we could all move on.  I find that half of the people I speak to in the ground at league one games don't have what I'd describe as a proper interest in football so I reserve my right to fume that the BBC/Sky feel the need to falsh to freeloading celebs wanking around in the crowd.
  • Options
    Totally agree with the OP.  Poor old Stephen, remember the days when a chap could be famous without having to pretend to have an aliegance with a ghastly sports team.  At least Man U have comfy seats and there's not too much noise so you can have a nice nap.  I've nothing against people saying they don't like football.  The other day I was at a party and had to listen to a bunch of pricks giving me their opinion about - yeah - the Premier League - yeah - 20 years ago, they'd have been allowed to just say they have no interest and we could all move on.  I find that half of the people I speak to in the ground at league one games don't have what I'd describe as a proper interest in football so I reserve my right to fume that the BBC/Sky feel the need to falsh to freeloading celebs wanking around in the crowd.

At last!

I was told this site was for real football fans but I was begining to lose faith!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea have always attracted these sort of individuals. David Mellor is a classic example of the genre ( replete with his Chelsea shirt and pizza eating girlfriend) but nothing has changed. I remember as a kid watching the build up to the 1970 FA Cup final against Leeds on Grandstand and havingput up with an excruciating interview with those couple of old luvvies, Brian Rix and Dicky Attenborough. We'll be having the same discussion on here in another 30 or 40 years (or at least the younger posters will).
    Brian Rix, what a farce.

• Options
    David Baddiel is a plastic late convert.  He's given it away so many times by not having heard of players from the mid 80s.
  • Options
    alexander the great was reputed to be a charlton fan

stephen fry suffers from over exposure ...and IS a bit precious 
  • Options
    I don't mind the likes of Skinner and Childs because you know they really are fans of their club but its wankers like David Mellor and Kelvin Mckenzie who have changed allegiance as adults and then have the gall to think they have the right to comment on Thier new clubs.
    I have a suggestion : instead of doing the £5 promotion next time just put posters up saying that Kelvin Mckenzie will be publically flogged at half time and the match is guaranteed to sell out.
  • Options
    The really suspect one is Danny Baker. To talk like he does about the Spanners you'd think he's been darn the Den every week since he was a toddler. I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe this is very far from being the case. Professional Spanner....?
    Spanner yes but he was a football fan and a Millwall fan long before it became fashionable.

And he talks about going to the Den every week because he did.    Did he, or someone with the same name, also claim to be a Man Utd supporter in a newspaper article in about 1968?  yes he/they did.  I know cos I saw it in the same magazine you did : - )
    For a certain kind of person, it has always been fashionable to be a Millwall fan. I can't prove anything, but I'm deeply suspicious of his credentials, by which i mean going to games like you or I have been going to Charlton games since we were kids. A lot of "Millwall supporters" don't actually go to many games, do they?
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Jim Davidson was in the Sheffield tap after the game and on our train on the way back. The train ran out of beer within 30 mins & Jim had more than his fair share. He did give some of his beers to our fans.  :-)

Runs for cover after mentioning Jim Davidson  :-)

• Options
    Just a point about Jim Davidson (yes we know how much Red Wedge on here love him)  i posted a request oh his blog about our yearly fund raiser for HtH and Abbey Wood British Legion. I asked him if he would donate anything for the auction. One day latter i had a response from his PA and one week later got the gift in the post. Regardless of how you see JD thats impressive---------------well done.
  • Options

Red Wedge! That takes me back......They did well didn't they? Even Weller disowned them in the end.

I've always liked JD, he's very Ronseal.

• Options

Red Wedge.

Leaving politics aside, I once saw a very intense support band at the Albany called, I think, 'attaco decante', who were part of the red wedge thingy. They were pretty awful, especially in their last song when the singer glared malevolently at audience members drinking and talking (as opposed to hanging on to every word and note) during a song entitled (I think) 'my father hits my mother'.

When they finished, to about five claps from about three people, they walked off the stage (we were all glad because the main event was about to happen), to immediately about turn to come back for an 'encore'!

At this point a wag in the audience implored

"referee!"

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I would say I'm slightly left wing (a social capitalist is a better description) but like the bloke. He isn't running the country and I undersatnd why he has his views. He has clearly made mistakes in his life too, but I always get a sense his heart is in the right place. Think the politically correct brigade has given him a raw deal in recent years too.