Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrity So Called Fans

Comments

• Options
    Regardless of whether you like Jim Davidson or not, I don't recall anyone bumping into him on trains in the 80s, when we had precious few fans of any sort, let alone the celeb kind
  • Options
    Regardless of whether you like Jim Davidson or not, I don't recall anyone bumping into him on trains in the 80s, when we had precious few fans of any sort, let alone the celeb kind

I should imagine he was a lot busier careerwise.
  • Options

I used to work with one of Danny Bakers best friends and went to The Den with them,DB's father and his son to see a midweek game against us. Whole family seemed to be Millwall through and through.

There is a famous picture of Deliah wearing scarf and rosette before the 1978 cup final. Not sure that is it on previous page though.

• Options
    I should imagine he was a lot busier careerwise.
    Or going to games in his Roller.....
  • Options

Delia's lowest hour
    Saturday 8 May 1978 is a day most Norwich City supporters would prefer to forget. The reason? Arch-rivals Ipswich Town won the FA Cup. However, this day has had even worse repercussions for Norwich fanatic and major share-holder Delia - because she appeared on Swap Shop wearing an Ipswich rosette and scarf.

Now, according to Delia, she only did this because BBC bosses made her do it: she'd been a regular at Norwich's Carrow Road stadium since 1969, but Swap Shop needed to feature a celebrity Ipswich fan. She also claims she was wearing a Norwich scarf underneath the Ipswich one. But Ipswich supporters don't believe a word of it: they insist she really was "one of them" back in the '70s. T-shirts depicting Delia and her blue and white rosette still sell like hot-cakes in the Suffolk town, particularly when there's a local derby against Norwich.

• Options
    The really suspect one is Danny Baker. To talk like he does about the Spanners you'd think he's been darn the Den every week since he was a toddler. I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe this is very far from being the case. Professional Spanner....?
    Spanner yes but he was a football fan and a Millwall fan long before it became fashionable.

And he talks about going to the Den every week because he did.    Did he, or someone with the same name, also claim to be a Man Utd supporter in a newspaper article in about 1968?  yes he/they did.  I know cos I saw it in the same magazine you did : - )
    For a certain kind of person, it has always been fashionable to be a Millwall fan. I can't prove anything, but I'm deeply suspicious of his credentials, by which i mean going to games like you or I have been going to Charlton games since we were kids. A lot of "Millwall supporters" don't actually go to many games, do they?
    I agree that plenty start going cos it's the "hard" thing to do and makes them think they are "a bit tasty" etc etc but I don't think that is Baker.
  • Options
    well given what MrOneLung told us, I'd have to accept that. Although I think Baker glorifies the image, and has of course slagged us (fans) off numerous times in the past.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

In principle I agree with the posters' sentiments. Stephen Fry for example is a mamby made good and has been boosted by  lovvie luving Auntie Beeb (although he first 'made it' as a member of a University Challenge team) to become regarded as a cross between Einstein, The A'Bishop of Canterbury, The Chief Rabbi and Mr Wikipedia on legs, as well as chief twitterer and gay icon. However, he was brought up in the Norwich area and therefore we must presume that the Canaries are his fav team.

As for David Badiel, only a nice Jewish boy could turn a dodgy song like 3 lions into a global brand and an unbelieveable money spinner. I met him once in the Water Rats, Grays Inn Road, we had a long chat about all sorts, mainly the all girl American hard rock band that was apperaing that evening. He is a very nice bloke whoever he purports to support 

• Options

In principle I agree with the posters' sentiments. Stephen Fry for example is a mamby made good and has been boosted by  lovvie luving Auntie Beeb (although he first 'made it' as a member of a University Challenge team) to become regarded as a cross between Einstein, The A'Bishop of Canterbury, The Chief Rabbi and Mr Wikipedia on legs, as well as chief twitterer and gay icon. However, he was brought up in the Norwich area and therefore we must presume that the Canaries are his fav team.

As for David Badiel, only a nice Jewish boy could turn a dodgy song like 3 lions into a global brand and an unbelieveable money spinner. I met him once in the Water Rats, Grays Inn Road, we had a long chat about all sorts, mainly the all girl American hard rock band that was apperaing that evening. He is a very nice bloke whoever he purports to support 

L7 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As for David Badiel, only a nice Jewish boy could turn a dodgy song like 3 lions into a global brand and an unbelieveable money spinner.

Is Frank Skinner Jewish as well then.  Or the Lightening Seeds. 

Give me strength!
  • Options

As for David Badiel, only a nice Jewish boy could turn a dodgy song like 3 lions into a global brand and an unbelieveable money spinner.

Is Frank Skinner Jewish as well then.  Or the Lightening Seeds. 

Give me strength!
    strength for what? .. to continue as an opinionated old fart?
  • Options
    Oh Jeez....here we go again....
    Before You 2 start, can Mr Lincs answer Yes or No: Was the band " L7 " ? (because I saw them there).
  • Options

His comedy won't be to everyones taste but he is 'proper' Charlton.

Remember a few years ago at Watford away, He turned up in the 'Spoons and was having a laugh with us in there and bought a round.

• Options
    who's that female glamour model who is a fan?
  • Options

His comedy won't be to everyones taste but he is 'proper' Charlton.

Remember a few years ago at Watford away, He turned up in the 'Spoons and was having a laugh with us in there and bought a round.

Sorry to bang on, but all CAFC seemed to be to Jim Davidson in the 80s - when we needed all the help we could get - was the source of a few cheap laughs.  The 'proper Charlton' boy was in fact a director of AFC Bournemouth while we were short of cash & friends

http://bournemouthdailyecho.newsprints.co.uk/view/17594074/12485593_jpg

• Options
    who's that female glamour model who is a fan?
    Pictures would be very helpful!
  • Options
    . to continue as an opinionated old fart?
    No, that's you Lincs.  And a stupid one at that. 
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Referring to redlanered's above comment :-

I wouldn't disagree, but he has returned, like The Prodigal son.

TBF I saw him at Yeovil last season, so he's hardly a glory boy.

• Options
    JD was at MK Dons as well but he was in the Directors Box so same as Stephen Fry really : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JD was at MK Dons as well but he was in the Directors Box so same as Stephen Fry really : - )
    Fry & Davidson, now that would be some double act.  Henry you're a genius
  • Options
    Oh Jeez....here we go again....
    Before You 2 start, can Mr Lincs answer Yes or No: Was the band " L7 " ? (because I saw them there).
    Not L7 as I recall ...  this would have been around 1995, the band was a conventional 5 piece, had a very skinny black girl on drums and - as you might have guessed - they were all VERY sexy and talented  .. I'm gonna search wiki until I find the truth !!!

• Options
    hahahahahha, is that your best shot? .. stoopid stoopid stop pickin on  me  ....... If I were you I'd stick to selling second hand rubbish on here and cease commenting on subjects of which you know little or nothing
  • Options
    FFS. Is this the CBeebies messageboard?
  • Options

I doubt Jim went to sleep whilst watching the match though?
  • Options
    hahahahahha, is that your best shot? .. stoopid stoopid stop pickin on  me  ....... If I were you I'd stick to selling second hand rubbish on here and cease commenting on subjects of which you know little or nothing
    Out of curiosity, how long does this go back?
  • Options
    edited October 2011

• Options
    Stephen Fry has written the script for the Dambusters remake. Looking forward to that.
  • Options
    Stephen Fry has written the script for the Dambusters remake. Looking forward to that.
    I wonder if he's always supported the Allies, or is he just hoping to raise his profile by jumping on the bandwaggon?
  • Options
    Totally agree with the OP.  Poor old Stephen, remember the days when a chap could be famous without having to pretend to have an aliegance with a ghastly sports team.  At least Man U have comfy seats and there's not too much noise so you can have a nice nap.  I've nothing against people saying they don't like football.  The other day I was at a party and had to listen to a bunch of pricks giving me their opinion about - yeah - the Premier League - yeah - 20 years ago, they'd have been allowed to just say they have no interest and we could all move on.  I find that half of the people I speak to in the ground at league one games don't have what I'd describe as a proper interest in football so I reserve my right to fume that the BBC/Sky feel the need to falsh to freeloading celebs wanking around in the crowd.

At last!

I was told this site was for real football fans but I was begining to lose faith!

So anyone who disagrees with you is not a real football fan then Clive? Bit harsh...