Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Options
    Oilers off to a good start in the swanky new arena. McDavid looking good, defence still shaky though.
  • Options

Oilers off to a good start in the swanky new arena. McDavid looking good, defence still shaky though.

$613 CAD / £390 for a family of 4 to see The Oilers play according to yesterdays paper - cheapest ticket up in the gods, parking, food and (non-alcoholic) drinks.

That seems pretty steep to me...
  • Options
    $12 for a 'pint' of Coors Light or Canadian too. It's stupidly expensive, even allowing for the top class arena they now have. Opening night for Rogers Place & battle of Alberta though so the tickets were as in demand as you will get outside of a play-off game. You can usually find cheaper tickets if you buy from someone reselling their unused season ticket, or even better do what I do and only go when some freebies are available through work! To be honest, it wasn't that much cheaper at Rexall Place. The place usually sells out though, even with the Oilers challenging Charlton for sporting ineptitude.

I'll go and watch the Oil Kings instead in order to check out the new arena - $35 for the best seats in the house.
  • Options
    Nice to beat the kings again....good start
  • Options
    Cracking game down in Tampa last night, class showed through in the end.

Must be said, the atmosphere was actually quite impressive, the Bolts fans have adapted a few football songs and make a noise throughout the whole game.
  • Options
    Oilers beat Flames again, McDavid started well.

Captain at 19, must be some talent.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Oilers beat Flames again, McDavid started well.

Captain at 19, must be some talent.

I'm no hockey expert, but even I can see McDavid has it in bucket loads, whatever it is. So fast, both of foot and hands. Seems well grounded too.
  • Options
    2 wins from 2 for Edmonton c'mon
  • Options
    McDavid is the real deal, no doubt. If he stays and they build a team around him, he has the skills and leadership to be as important to them as Messier was in the eighties, or Crosby is to the Penguins.
  • Options
    It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in Edmonton. After years of drafting high, they have finally got the elite player they need. The question is whether they can build a team around him fast enough before he becomes a drag on the cap. Chiarelli did a good job in Boston filling out the roster. It was after they won he messed up by signing the replaceable parts to overpriced contracts, and his inability to draft consistently outside of the top of the first round. The cap is such a huge part of hockey that if you screw it up - with either bad contracts or bad drafting- you're in a hole for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At last, a decent North American sport's season begins. Fast paced and exciting. NBA, MLB, NFL tosh please stand aside.
  • Options

McDavid is the real deal, no doubt. If he stays and they build a team around him, he has the skills and leadership to be as important to them as Messier was in the eighties, or Crosby is to the Penguins.

Comparisons around here have been more with Gretzky than Messier, but the point stands that he is a potential one in generation type player.

The first line of Eberle, McDavid and Lucic certainly looks like it could do some damage to teams this year, but the Oilers were back to type last night against Buffalo.
  • Options

At last, a decent North American sport's season begins. Fast paced and exciting. NBA, MLB, NFL tosh please stand aside.

The MLS is again wide open this season - last weekend of the regular season next weekend. My lot (Portland Timbers - last year's winners) are just outside the playoffs. - a win on Sunday in Vancouver guarantees a play off spot - only problem is they haven't won away all season!
  • Options
    McDavid is unreal, as Somerville says if the Oilers manage to get the supporting cast right they'll be a real force. But I feel in the next few years there'll be a bit of a changing of the guard. The Leafs, Oilers and Sabres all have good young teams that with the right moves to support them will challenge. The Bruins are on their way out, the Red Wings too, I think Tampa have a 1/2 year window to win before the cap issues really hit. The Pens have just won, who knows how they'll be once contract renewals come up.

I don't know, I just think there'll be a real shift now and I actually have optimism for once!
  • Options
    I think the Leafs front office finally seems to get it. After years of pissing draft prospects away, signing overrated players or players that won't fit to ridiculous contracts, being stupid in the trading market and wasting talent in a desperate attempt to 'win now' they have a coach who they look like allowing to fail whilst building a real team. The worst thing that could have happened last year was for them to be a partial success in Babcock's first year - they would have fallen back on bad habits again like doing something silly in free agency in the hope of making the playoffs. Tanking to get Matthews and letting it be known that they're OK with a rebuilding project takes the heat off Babcock and stops the media feeding frenzy in Toronto.

Agree that the Sabres and Oilers look like potential future champions - but there have been a few teams like that in the past decade that never panned out, usually through stupid management decisions. Who knows how the Pens will go this year. I worry about Crosby. Another concussion from a seemingly innocuous shove in a preseason scrimmage - sooner or later some prick like Marchand or Lucic will light him up and I think his career could be over. A lot depends on him staying healthy and Malkin being the force he was a couple of seasons ago
  • Options
    Another win for the Oilers, the oilers are on the up, the young team and the move to Rogers Place a big factor. Could this be our year after so many last or near to last places, however getting the first round picks is starting to pay off.
  • Options

Another win for the Oilers, the oilers are on the up, the young team and the move to Rogers Place a big factor. Could this be our year after so many last or near to last places, however getting the first round picks is starting to pay off.

Over the Caps as well.

But, tough November with 10 out of 15 games on the road.
  • Options
    True, historically the oilers don't travel well.....but I have a feeling
  • Options
    Oilers win again and with a shut out on the road, albeit just (13 hrs) down the road in Vancouver.

I'm no Hockey expert, but there's a definite discipline and resilience to this year's team that has been missing in recent years. McDavid is supplying the x-factor but the real star in the last few has been Cam Talbot.

Very early days though, and it could still get derailed by one injury to the wrong player, but he'll it's nice to have a team I support finally winning some frggin' games.
  • Options
    Canadiens lost 10-0 at Columbus last night, that is a shocking battering
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to see the Penguins @ the Islanders in Brooklyn in a couple of weeks, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Going to see the Penguins @ the Islanders in Brooklyn in a couple of weeks, looking forward to it.

Have they sorted out the sightlines in the Barclays yet?

• Options
    The Oilers tied first place in the Pacific division with a crushing victory over San Jose Sharks. On a great run at the moment with McDavid central to everything. Lets go Oilers!
  • Options
    McDavid is a beast. Absolutely the real deal - has the potential to be as good as Crosby. Sees the game so well, makes decisions faster than anyone around him and doesn't seem as bothered by teams gooning it up on him as Crosby was his first few seasons.

Before the season, I didn't think the Oilers had enough to make the playoffs yet - now I'm starting to wonder if they might even take a run at the cup. Pens vs Oilers would be and amazing stanley cup finals
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Just booked a trip to Vegas in November. Really hope that the Vegas Golden Nights are at home during that week and even better if the Canucks are in town!! Knowing my luck, Golden Knights will be on a road trip east!!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

se9addick said:

Have they sorted out the sightlines in the Barclays yet?

Nope, I was in a box so the view was good but there would definitely be parts of the arena where you wouldn't be able to see one of the goals
  • Options

Just booked a trip to Vegas in November. Really hope that the Vegas Golden Nights are at home during that week and even better if the Canucks are in town!! Knowing my luck, Golden Knights will be on a road trip east!!

I went to see the Las Vegas Wranglers a couple of time, that was a bit odd.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I went to see the Las Vegas Wranglers a couple of time, that was a bit odd.
    I was out there a few years ago in September and managed to see Avalanche v Kings in a pre-season warm up in the MGM Grand. Never seen a regular NHL game though as always been in Vancouver out of season. Contemplating staying in Sheffield after the Sheffield U game and going over to watch the Steelers play in the evening. Not quite NHL but worth a look.
  • Options

McDavid is a beast. Absolutely the real deal - has the potential to be as good as Crosby. Sees the game so well, makes decisions faster than anyone around him and doesn't seem as bothered by teams gooning it up on him as Crosby was his first few seasons.

Before the season, I didn't think the Oilers had enough to make the playoffs yet - now I'm starting to wonder if they might even take a run at the cup. Pens vs Oilers would be and amazing stanley cup finals

Still some inconsistency in the system for them to iron out, but when they are on it, they are definitely on it. If they make to the playoffs, as seems a decent bet, and can hit a hot streak at the right time then they are definitely a dark horse.

The great thing about the Oilers this year is that they look solid. They've been a soft touch in the past, but they've definitely toughened up and don't give away nearly as many easy points as they have been in recent season. That means they've actually been able to pick up points even when the offence hasn't been firing on all cylinders.

It's been pleasing to see other players raise their game to take advantage of having McDavid in the team - players like Patrick Maroon who has been probably playing the best hockey of his career and Leon Draisaitl has been great too.

They look like a proper team at last, and the turnaround is best illustrated by the Battle of Alberta. The Flames have dominated that in recent years, but the Oilers handed them their arse this year.
  • Options
    Oilers in the playoffs! First time in 10 years. Reckon they'll last more than the first round too. Looking like a proper hockey team. Now to decide if I can justify spending several hundred bucks on a couple of tickets for a playoff game. Might have to make do with the pub.