Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Oh well, there's always next year. Good effort from the Oilers and something to build on. The better team won in game 7 but the series would have been wrapped up in Edmonton's favour if it hadn't been for some poor refereeing calls in games 4 & 5.

I make the Pens favourites now that they have survived the scare vs the Caps.
  • Options
    I'm rooting for the Preds now, just to see PK lift a cup and really really piss off the Habs Management!

Shame for the Oilers, great series that.

At least you can have a shave now Exiled!?
  • Options
    Oilers did far better than I expected - and are ahead of where I thought they'd be (didn't think they'd be deep into the playoffs for a couple of years, and not challenging for a cup for at least three years). Shows you what good stockpiling of talent, a management willing to be patient, good coaching, a great fanbase and (most importantly) a bona fide star player will do. The Leafs seem to be doing the same thing as well (finally) after years of futility.

FWIW, I think the Caps series has (as always) taken a lot of the Pens. Expect them to get bruised up by Ottawa - with Crosby still a worry, but Fleury on form and production from Malkin, Crosby and role players like Guentzel and Rust means they should get by them, though it'll take seven games. Either of Anaheim or Nashville would be a hard series again, and I think, if the West finals only go 5 or 6 games, the extra game for the Pens could be the difference.
  • Options

I'm rooting for the Preds now, just to see PK lift a cup and really really piss off the Habs Management!

Shame for the Oilers, great series that.

At least you can have a shave now Exiled!?

I'm a permanent beardy weirdy anyway so I guess I can maybe give it a quick trim, but no shaving for me.

Very please with how the Oilers have developed this season. They have been so flaky for the last 5 or 6 years - if they were up you knew they'd get pegged back, if they were down you knew they weren't coming back. They've had some big setbacks in this playoffs - losing 7-1 in San Jose, losing vs Anaheim having been 3-0 up with 3.5 mins to go, but each time they have bounced straight back and produced really strong performances definitely something to build on there. And although he picked up a few points, McDavid didn't ever really manage to light up a game/series, which he will do at some point in his career for sure, so something to look forward to there.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how the Sens are still going?! Karlsson has a broken foot and is still playing through it, brilliantly too.

I just don't get it, it's why I love the playoffs but seriously, it's bonkers.

• Options
    The Playoffs started again last night...

Winnipeg beat Minnesota 3-2
    Vegas beat LA 1-0
    and
    Pittsburgh beat Philly 7-0

My Leafs face off against those pesky Bruins tonight which I'm sure will be another good series.

If Tampa get past New Jersey (@carlsberg has reliably informed me the Devils had the upper hand in the regular season sweeping the Lightening) I fancy them to win the whole thing this year, beating the Preds from the West.

Anyone else tuning in? Who do you think will be celebrating play off victory?
  • Options
    I wasn’t confident after that last few regular season games, but this was more like what we’d seen most of the season
  • Options
    After the Canucks' washout of a season, I'm flying the Canadian flag and would love the Leafs or Jets to do it, but my head says it won't happen. Time difference here in Saudi a nightmare but just seen the highlights of last night's games. Bruins looked strong and anecdotally I really dislike Marchand, possibly because he looks like a rat!!!?

I can see Penguins doing it again after their destruction of the Flyers in game 1. Wouldn't discount Tampa Bay or Vegas either.

Irrespective, it's great to watch and the playoffs are a totally different game compared to the regular season.
  • Options
    Pens looked good. Failures admittedly had an awful game, but Pittsburgh were sharp all night and didn't take their foot off the pedal. Be interesting to see whether there's a reaction from Philly in the next game - surprised they didn't goon it up after they had the score run up on them.

Hard to see past the Bruins for me. The complete team - and just the right amount of nasty for the playoffs. Feel sorry for the Laffs - first good team in decades and they're going to get steamrollered

In the west, fancy Vegas to have a real run at it - great story in their first season
  • Options
    Been a fantastic play-off series so far and Jets v Golden Knights in the Western Conference final is a great story. So NHL fans, who's your money on? Would love the Jets to do it. It's about time it went back to Canada!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a soft spot for the Jets since Winnipeg got a team again after the original Jets had buggered off to Phoenix - as a Charlton fan that pushed my sympathy button. Also they have cool uniforms!
  • Options

Been a fantastic play-off series so far and Jets v Golden Knights in the Western Conference final is a great story. So NHL fans, who's your money on? Would love the Jets to do it. It's about time it went back to Canada!

Just got back from Vegas and the place is buzzing about the Golden Knights.
  • Options
    I kind of tuned out on the Hockey this year when the OIlers checked out - so around November (!). Feel like I've barely had the time to keep up with Charlton, let alone keeping an eye on what is going on in probably my fourth of fifth favourite sport in which the team I support is not really doing anything of note. I have to root for the Canadian team now though, so hope the Jets do it.
  • Options
    After my trip to Boston in March and going to the Garden to watch the Bruins smash Tampa 4-2 I was hooked. Bruins faded towards the end of the regular season so when they worked against the leafs and ultimately got dominated over the series against Tampa it wasn’t to shocking - supporting charlton trains you for disappointment anyways
  • Options

After my trip to Boston in March and going to the Garden to watch the Bruins smash Tampa 4-2 I was hooked. Bruins faded towards the end of the regular season so when they worked against the leafs and ultimately got dominated over the series against Tampa it wasn’t to shocking - supporting charlton trains you for disappointment anyways

Bucket list for me mate, seeing an NHL game! Very jealous!! Yes, thought Bruins would go further after turning Toronto over, but Tampa arguably look like the team to beat.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Bucket list for me mate, seeing an NHL game! Very jealous!! Yes, thought Bruins would go further after turning Toronto over, but Tampa arguably look like the team to beat.
    Was unbelievable, had me hooked the moment I walked in. Crazy how fast paced and physical it is, makes me wonder why it’s not big over here. Definitely will be making another trip to The Garden next time I’m over
  • Options

Was unbelievable, had me hooked the moment I walked in. Crazy how fast paced and physical it is, makes me wonder why it’s not big over here. Definitely will be making another trip to The Garden next time I’m over
    I’d recommend it to anyone, it can be wildly entertaining. If you can, get to see a playoff game, it’s a completely different game, and the crowds are really up for it.

Early season games can be a bit tamer, at least in Boston, and tickets are easier to get before Thanksgiving, apart from Original 6 games.
  • Options
    Pens ultimately ran out of steam against the Caps. Kesesl had a poor postseason, Malkin was out for a number of games and although Guentzel stepped up and Crosby was great, the Caps were just too good. I thought the Bruins had got the end of season blues out of their system, but I guess getting taken all the way by the Laffs was too much - and I fancy the Lightning to turn Washington over too

Glad the Jets beat Nashville - and whilst I still don't think hockey belongs in the desert, Vegas is an amazing story so it'll be a great series in the West.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Anyone following the World Championships? Denmark is the host nation this year. They beat the Finns 3-2 the other day.

I have a day ticket for tomorrow (3 games, lots of drinking (!) - Sweden v Slovakia, Belarus v Austria and Russia v Switzerland). My mate is Swiss so Game 3 should be interesting! Very much looking forward to catching some of the action live.

Fk
  • Options
    Would love Ovie to get his hands on lord Stanley. Anybody but tampa from here on in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Would love Ovie to get his hands on lord Stanley. Anybody but tampa from here on in.

Yeah I'd take that. Obitchkin may be a thorn in the Pens side, but there's no doubting how good he is, and that he deserves a cup
  • Options
    Liam Kirk - the first British born and british trained ice hockey player to be drafted into the NHL - Arizona Coyotes The ones to pick him, brilliant stuff
  • Options

Liam Kirk - the first British born and british trained ice hockey player to be drafted into the NHL - Arizona Coyotes The ones to pick him, brilliant stuff

no he is not - but good luck to the fella
  • Options

no he is not - but good luck to the fella
    Yeah - Tony Hand and Colin Shields would beg to differ.
  • Options
    How do you watch the games ?
  • Options
    English, sorry. Was reading the American reporting, they said British but few people on twitter mentioned hand who is Scottish, I think?
  • Options

How do you watch the games ?

Moody streams or on NHL.com
  • Options
    i subscribe to nhl.com its about £100 a year and now its on the amazon fire stick its happy days !
  • Options

The Playoffs started again last night...

Winnipeg beat Minnesota 3-2
    Vegas beat LA 1-0
    and
    Pittsburgh beat Philly 7-0

My Leafs face off against those pesky Bruins tonight which I'm sure will be another good series.

If Tampa get past New Jersey (@carlsberg has reliably informed me the Devils had the upper hand in the regular season sweeping the Lightening) I fancy them to win the whole thing this year, beating the Preds from the West.

Anyone else tuning in? Who do you think will be celebrating play off victory?

Leafs have made a good start (was going to call you 'mate', but I don't know you and was worried about getting banned! - see 'Things you'd ban if you could' thread!). Even the Sabres are winning!!
  • Options
    Bruins are doing pretty well after an awful opening game at Washington. That 1st line of Marchand Bergeron and Pastrnak are unbelievable