Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The boys of winter return - NHL is back

Comments

• Just been chatting to a mate at work, Oilers playoffs tickets already sold out. Cheapest he's found through resale is $675 for a pair. If they draw San Jose it'll be cheaper to fly there for one of the away games because tickets there are $70.
  • Insane prices. Last time the Laffs made the playoffs I was in Toronto - tickets were going for a grand a pair. And they were shit seats up in the gods.

Love to see the Oilers make it to the finals, and play the Pens (and lose obviously!)
  • They have a chance I would say. I'm not an avid follower, but every game I watched this season they have been in with a shout of winning. Previous years there would be the odd flash of the talent in the team but they just had a really soft underbelly and go rolled over by more streetwise teams. The puck used to be in the Oiler's defensive zone most of the time and that seems to have switched this season.

The game last night vs the Kings was a great example of how they have rid themselves of that softness and are now able to mix it with teams who play a tougher game and they can grind out results in those tight games.

Add to that a player like McDavid and people like Draisaitl and Maroon also coming to the fore and they do look a challenge for most opponents. I think a lot will hinge on whether or not Cam Talbot can last the course, he's played a lot of games and has been such a key part of why the Oilers are tougher to beat these days.

A Crosby vs McDavid final would be a great one. The game the other week that the Pens took in the shoot-out was a really good watch.
  • Very Happy this morning with the news. Living in Edmonton 11 years ago when they went on their great run to the Stanley Cup final was a great experience, its party time again! All the way!
  • So it's all settled and ready for the Playoffs. AND THE LEAFS MADE IT!!!! First regular season since 2004!!

I'm gutted we didn't get the Sens as a Battle of Ontario series would be incredible. We'll no doubt get run out of town by the Caps but it's still a great learning opportunity for this young side. I can't wait!

Pens and Blue Jackets will be a good series, I'd have to pick the Pens but could be quite close.

Edmonton and San Jose is another stand out clash for me, I want to see how McDavid steps up to Playoff hockey.

Game 1's start Wednesday and Thursday, I bloody love the Playoffs, late nights incoming!
  • Great matchups in the first round. Agree the Pens and Oilers series are mouthwatering - and both could go either way. I'm not so sure the Craps will sweep the Leafs - think it'll be closer than you think, but they'll win eventually because of greater depth. Think that's what might kill the Oilers as well - Sharks will have too much for them overall, but expect it to be close. Be really good to see how McDavid and Matthews deal with playoff pressure - expect McDavid will handle it like a pro, Matthews I'm not sure about, he seems a bit less level-headed. Still, at least he doesn't have a ridiculous amount of pressure on him with the Toronto press. Oh. Wait... :trollface:
  • McDavid had 2 assists in the last game to make it to 100 points :star:
  • Macronate said:

McDavid had 2 assists in the last game to make it to 100 points :star:

He's unreal.

Matthews reached 40 goals for us too, I still can't quite believe he's a Leaf!!
  • Would love to see a Canadian team win it as unlikely as that is!! My adopted 'Canucks' performed poorly (as expected) this year so my play-off hopes are pinned on the Leafs.

Anyone got any experience of watching any games in The Maple Leaf, Covent Garden (timings permitted of course). Was looking at reviews of the place (I have had a drink in there in the past) and to be fair, they are pretty average at best.
  • So it's all settled and ready for the Playoffs. AND THE LEAFS MADE IT!!!! First regular season since 2004!!

I'm gutted we didn't get the Sens as a Battle of Ontario series would be incredible. We'll no doubt get run out of town by the Caps but it's still a great learning opportunity for this young side. I can't wait!

Pens and Blue Jackets will be a good series, I'd have to pick the Pens but could be quite close.

Edmonton and San Jose is another stand out clash for me, I want to see how McDavid steps up to Playoff hockey.

Game 1's start Wednesday and Thursday, I bloody love the Playoffs, late nights incoming!

When you say "since 2004", I assume you're still trying to forget choking game 7 against the Bruins in 2013. Just like they did against CBJ yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    Pity it didn't pan out for a Battle of Alberta in the first round, maybe we'll get one in the second round but I don't personally see both the Flames and the Oilers getting though. Don't really mind as long as the Oilers do. The games vs SJS have been mostly tight this season so should be an interesting match up, really could go either way. The Oilers having home ice advantage may prove pivotal.
  • I can't wait for it to start. I'm a fan of a lot of sports but nothing beats playoff hockey, whether you're team is in or not.
  • Gretzky was 24/25 when he amassed 215 points over an 80 game season in 1985/6-(52 goals, 163 assists).

That is outrageous.

When you say "since 2004", I assume you're still trying to forget choking game 7 against the Bruins in 2013. Just like they did against CBJ yesterday.
    I meant to write "full" season as apposed to regular. 2013 that we don't talk about was the lock out shortened season.
  • So a couple of the series look all but wrapped up (Pens vs CBJ, Blues vs Wild) but most are still finely balanced, although a loss for the Flames tonight and it would be hard to see them come back against a team as good as Anaheim. Nashville with a surprise lead against the Blackhawks but you have to think Chicago can get back into that one.

Oilers looking good but it's been a tight series and I wouldn't be surprised if the series needs all 7 games to decide it. Struggled a bit in game 1 but have come back very strong with 2 straight shutouts. Game 2 was easily the best I have seen them play in the 6 years since I started to follow them.
  • edited April 2017
    Enjoying the games so far - except for the Wild's performances. I have a soft spot for them and had hoped they would do well - but unfortunately they (and The Blues!) have carried their late regular season form into the play-offs.

Think the Oilers will go through. Went into the play offs on the back of some good form. Looked good over last 2 games after blowing game 1.

Watching the Preds v Blackhawks with interest. Chicago shutout at home twice! Who would have thought. The series switches to Nashville tonight - A must win for the Blackhawks - would love to see the Preds go through to 2nd round.

Good to see the Leafs win game 2 in OT to level their series -unfortunately just can't see them getting by Washington.

Hope the other Canadian teams do well and looking to see the Bruins get knocked out. .......
  • Enjoying the games so far - except for the Wild's performances. I have a soft spot for them and had hoped they would do well - but unfortunately they (and The Blues!) have carried their late regular season form into the play-offs.

Think the Oilers will go through. Went into the play offs on the back of some good form. Looked good over last 2 games after blowing game 1.

Watching the Preds v Blackhawks with interest. Chicago shutout at home twice! Who would have thought. The series switches to Nashville tonight - A must win for the Blackhawks - would love to see the Preds go through to 2nd round.

Good to see the Leafs win game 2 in OT to level their series -unfortunately just can't see them getting by Washington.

Hope the other Canadian teams do well and looking to see the Bruins get knocked out. .......

This re Bruins. That rat faced Marchand really winds me up!!
  • Enjoying the games so far - except for the Wild's performances. I have a soft spot for them and had hoped they would do well - but unfortunately they (and The Blues!) have carried their late regular season form into the play-offs.

This re Bruins. That rat faced Marchand really winds me up!!
    Funny, that's my reason for not liking them also!
  • EASTERN CONFERENCE

Montreal Canadiens (1) vs. New York Rangers (WC1)

FINAL: Rangers 2, Canadiens 0 | Stats | Rangers lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Canadiens 4, Rangers 3 (OT) | Stats | Series tied 1-1
    FINAL: Canadiens 3, Rangers 1 | Stats | Canadiens lead series 2-1
    Tuesday, April 18, 7 p.m.: Canadiens at Rangers | NBCSN, CBC
    Thursday, April 20, 7 p.m.: Rangers at Canadiens | CBC, USA Network
    *Saturday, April 22, TBD: Canadiens at Rangers | TBD
    *Monday, April 24, TBD: Rangers at Canadiens | TBD

Ottawa Senators (2) vs. Boston Bruins (3)

FINAL: Bruins 2, Senators 1 | Stats | Bruins lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Senators 4, Bruins 3 (OT) | Stats | Series tied 1-1
    FINAL: Senators 4, Bruins 3 (OT) | Stats | Senators lead series 2-1
    Wednesday, April 19, 7:30 p.m.: Senators at Bruins | USA Network, Sportsnet
    Friday, April 21, 7:30 p.m.: Bruins at Senators | USA Network, Sportsnet
    *Sunday, April 23, TBD: Senators at Bruins | TBD
    *Wednesday, April 26, TBD: Bruins at Senators | TBD

Washington Capitals (1) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (WC2)

FINAL: Capitals 3, Maple Leafs 2 (OT) | Stats | Capitals lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Maple Leafs 3, at Capitals 3 (2OT) | Stats | Series tied 1-1
    FINAL: Maple Leafs 4, Capitals 3 | Stats | Maple Leafs lead series 2-1
    Wednesday, April 19, 7 p.m.: Capitals at Maple Leafs | NBCSN, CBC
    Friday, April 21, 7 p.m.: Maple Leafs at Capitals | NBCSN, CBC
    *Sunday, April 23, TBD: Capitals at Maple Leafs | TBD
    *Tuesday, April 25, TBD: Maple Leafs at Capitals | TBD

Pittsburgh Penguins (2) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (3)

FINAL: Penguins 3, Blue Jackets 1 | Stats | Penguins lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Penguins 4, Blue Jackets 1 | Stats | Penguins lead series 2-0
    FINAL: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (OT) | Stats | Penguins lead series 3-0
    Tuesday, April 18, 7:30 p.m.: Penguins at Blue Jackets | CNBC, SN 360
    *Thursday, April 20, 7 p.m.: Blue Jackets at Penguins | NHL Network, Sportsnet
    *Sunday, April 23, TBD: Penguins at Blue Jackets | TBD
    *Tuesday, April 25, TBD: Blue Jackets at Penguins | TBD

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Chicago Blackhawks (1) vs. Nashville Predators (WC2)

FINAL: Predators 1, Black Hawks 0 | Stats | Predators lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Predators 5, at Blackhawks 0 | Stats | Predators lead series 2-0
    FINAL: Predators 3, Blackhawks 2 (OT) | Stats | Predators lead series 3-0
    Thursday, April 20, 8 p.m.: Blackhawks at Predators | NBCSN, SN 360
    *Saturday, April 22, TBD: Predators at Blackhawks | TBD
    *Monday, April 24, TBD: Blackhawks at Predators | TBD
    *Wednesday, April 26, TBD: Predators at Blackhawks | TBD

Minnesota Wild (2) vs. St. Louis Blues (3)

FINAL: Blues 2, Wild 1 (OT) | Stats | Blues lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Blues 2, Wild 1 | Stats | Blues lead series 2-0
    FINAL: Blues 3, Wild 1 | Stats | Blues lead series 3-0
    Wednesday, April 19, 9:30 p.m.: Wild at Blues | NBCSN, SN 360
    *Saturday, April 22, TBD: Blues at Wild | TBD
    *Monday, April 24, TBD: Wild at Blues | TBD
    *Wednesday, April 26, TBD: Blues at Wild | TBD

Anaheim Ducks (1) vs. Calgary Flames (WC1)

FINAL: Ducks 3, Flames 2 | Stats | Ducks lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Ducks 3, Flames 2 | Stats | Ducks lead series 2-0
    FINAL: Ducks 5, Flames 4 (OT) | Stats | Ducks lead series 3-0
    Wednesday, April 19, 10 p.m.: Ducks at Flames | USA, CBC
    *Friday, April 21, 10 p.m.: Flames at Ducks | NBCSN, CBC
    *Sunday, April 23, TBD: Ducks at Flames | TBD
    *Tuesday, April 25, TBD: Flames at Ducks | TBD

Edmonton Oilers (2) vs. San Jose Sharks (3)

FINAL: Sharks 3, Oilers 2 (OT) | Stats | Sharks lead series 1-0
    FINAL: Oilers 2, Sharks 0 | Stats | Series tied 1-1
    FINAL: Oilers 1, Sharks 0 | Stats | Oilers lead series 2-1
    Tuesday, April 18, 10 p.m.: Oilers at Sharks, NBCSN, Sportsnet
    Thursday, April 20, 10:30 p.m.: Sharks at Oilers | NBCSN, Sportsnet
    *Saturday, April 22, TBD: Oilers at Sharks | TBD
    *Monday, April 24, TBD: Sharks at Oilers | TBD

Biggest shock is the Blackhawks being 3-0 down to the Predators.

Leafs also up on the Caps so two of the fancied teams trailing.

All four games last night went to OT.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ouch is right.

Not even going to bother to look at the reports.
  • It's the hope that kills you, and my god have I got some hope right now! It's probably the lack of sleep, I'm delirious!
  • Sharks really bounced back well, after two below par performances, we are so inconsistent, flatter to deceive and then deceive to flatter, think this is going to game 7 in all honesty
  • Wow, didnt believe the score this morning. Back home win the next 2 job done. Lets go Oilers
  • WTF is going on with the Blackhawks. I haven't watched any of their games. Down 3-0 in the series is a shocker.
  • Blackhawks swept by the Preds, don't think anyone would have predicted that a week ago.

Pens through and Flames extinguished which is a bit of a pity as a battle of Alberta would have been great to see, but at the same time Ha Ha!

Great fight back from the Oilers tonight, both in coming back from 3-1 down in the game but also by bouncing back from being trounced in San Jose. Reckon this one will go to a game 7 but glad that the pressure is all on the Sharks for the next one although that was the case 2 nights ago and they handled that pretty well to say the least. Been a great series so far though.
  • One for you Leroy

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2013/04/crosby-has-head-surgically-removed-in-order-to-play-out-rest-of-playoffs/

Just watching the Oilers somehow conspire to tie a game 3-3 having been 3-0 up with 4 minutes to play. They've conceded 7 goals in the last 2 games and there is a good argument to be made that 4 of those should not have stood, 2 of them even after video reviews.

Hopefully we'll manage to get an overtime win but the defence is like the walking wounded and looking knackered.
  • Blew it :angry:
  • Yeah somewhat. Shafted by the referees in the last 2 games though.

Got to pick themselves up for Sunday and get back on track at home. I hae to say, I expected Anaheim to be too much for the oilers but they have been much closer games than that and if anything arguably the oilers have been the better team in all but 1 of the games. You could see the players looked really deflated at the end, but if they can just keep playing like they have been you have to think their luck will change.
  • Edmonton 7-1 up at the end of the second in game 6. Surely even the Oilers can't screw it up from here and we are going to game 7 in Anaheim.