Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OLYMPIC GAMES -- who cares ?????

I know they are next year ....I know tickets were on sale .....also know i dont give a fig... am i alone not getting excited over an event in good old London.

Comments

• Options
    You don't care enough to start a random thread on a Charlton message board about it? Hmmm .......
  • Options

You don't care enough to start a random thread on a Charlton message board about it? Hmmm .

Just wanted other people thoughts --read an article about greenwich on here

• Options
    Ha ha, no worries mate. You left yourself wide open for that one so I thought I may s well jump in before someone else did.

I'm starting to look forward to it now. Looking forward to watching stuff on the telly with my son - and taking him to Wembley to watch one of the football matches we've got tickets for.
  • Options
    Ha ha, no worries mate. You left yourself wide open for that one so I thought I may s well jump in before someone else did.

I'm starting to look forward to it now. Looking forward to watching stuff on the telly with my son - and taking him to Wembley to watch one of the football matches we've got tickets for.

Just lacking the get up and go for it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and a few have mentioned the best ticket is a holiday ticket and working in London - more worried wht it is going to cost me....dare say come the time will end up hunting round for tickets

• Options
    I am, I got me and my dad tickets for the 2 back to back games at Wembley. Think its 30 mins between one finishing and the next kicking off
  • Options
    Any one want to rent a one bedroom flat. Right bargain. Easy to get to and from anywhere as long as your not Drf. She can work from home.
  • Options
    Does it come with laid on "entertainment"?
  • Options
    Well er... the swan in the villAge always has something going on so yes..
  • Options
    For me this is no different to any other olympics. I watch and enjoy them on tv but even if I could have afforded tickets chances of getting any were low.
  • Options
    Did I mention that I've got a ticket for the men's 100m final?

The city is getting a mini makeover to make it look good on TV and for the tourists, I bet they won't get it finished in time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Im not looking forward to my train journeys through Stratford every day.

Other than that it should be good

• Options
    Absolutely no interest whatsoever, in this part of England it just doesn't have relevance, except for those competing, and I just see it as a huge waste of money that could be better used saving the NHS which the current government seem hell bent on destroying.
  • Options

I lived in a Flat in Kingsbury High Street in 1948, and the marathon went right past our door. Very different days of course, but I still remember the

yellow/green faces going by. I have decided to watch it on TV this time because you get full information, replays, and the benefit of multiple camera angles.

Having said that, it may be your only chance to experience it live, enjoy. 

• Options
    I will be working silly o clock hours as the start of the football and rugby season hits, so I wont get to see any of it anyway, shame as I think it will be a amazing spectacle.
  • Options
    Kinda looking forward to watching on the TV but deffo not looking forward to my Central line journey through Stratford twice a day.
  • Options
    it is going to be fantastic, something to be proud of and some thing that our children will talk about to their kids for yearst o come
  • Options
    If you dont care and live in a part of london near the action you can rent out your place for extortionate rates during.  Mate of mine has a 2 bed flat in Walthamstow and is looking at £1k a week
  • Options
    The athletes in athletics can all do very impressive things... run very fast, jump very far/high and chuck things a long way... but is it exciting?

I realise that there are hundreds of sports on offer. The problem is that most of them are shit. I'm not going to start being interested in sports I normally have no interest in what-so-ever for a 4 week period then forget about them afterwards, and I don't quite understand why others are either. "Because it's the Olympics and it's special" doesn't work for me.

Can someone convince me please, because I'd rather be excited about it than moaning about it.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely fucking dreading it. I have to commute into London every day and it's bad enough normally but the whole system will collapse during the Olympics. Only consolation is that my boss hates commuting too so she is hopefully going to sort something out for us to work from home for at least some of it.

Oh, and did I mention the increased risk of terrorist attack. higher crime rates and the utter fiasco that is the so-called Olympic Legacy?
  • Options
    So you don't want to buy my tickets for the shooting dabos?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I actually felt bad yesterday after my rant about the communiting/travel issue because i feel like I should be excited about and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I still don't understand how it positively affects me at the moment. I know thats really selfish and its not all about me, but its as if I am being told that I should feel grateful about it being in London and I'm not sure why because I have only experienced negative things to do with it so far? I think that schools and those with kids are probably more excited as its an opportunity to get kids interested in sport and activities and projects for the  next year which is fab, but what else?  I also think its brill that people have got tickets and that paraolympics has sold out, and I will enjoy watching it on the telly but I fail to see how the legacy going forward will affect me. And the fact I'll be watching it on the telly makes me think it might as well be elsewhere and not in London?

I also felt bad about complaining about the commuting issue as its really not that big a deal as commuting is crap anyway, and it would be hard to get any worse, but then after my commute in this morning which left me struggling to walk when I left the train as I was squashed in the most imaginable way on the train with my arm losing all feeling from holding on for dear life with someones rucksack digging in my lower back for the whole journey I soon got my 'how is london going to cope during the olympics' grumpy hat on again.

• Options
    Same generation and attitude as Granpa. I was in Helsinki for the 1952 Games and it's a once in a lifetime unforgettable experience.  Media coverage
    today will cater for superb armchair view of all chosen events. Only slight regret is not to be able to watch all the boxing.
  • Options
    I applied for 1 ticket to each of the mens basketball quater finals. Didnt get anything. I've now seen various companies all giving away tickets for these events... events we have already paid for. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth seeing our money going towards these lavish corporates. As far as i'm concerned the olympics can go stick it
  • Options
    I shall be keeping an eye on the cycling events but other than that no interest at all.
  • Options
    I have no interest in the Olympics, never have, with the possible exception of the boxing.
    I feel it will cost our country millions, add in the current economic climate and I think its gonna be a financial disaster.
    But good luck to those that have spent their hard earned on some tickets.
  • Options
    Hopefully I will be working at the Olympics, applied for one of the voluntary roles and have had interviews etc, so regardless of how well our athletes do I hope the games are a general success!
  • Options
    I applied for 1 ticket to each of the mens basketball quater finals. Didnt get anything. I've now seen various companies all giving away tickets for these events... events we have already paid for. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth seeing our money going towards these lavish corporates. As far as i'm concerned the olympics can go stick it
    Er I think those companies have also paid for the tickets. It is called sponsorship.
  • Options
    working newbie will be one of the best ways to enjoy it,
  • Options
    boring
  • Options
    Not necessarily. You could be stuck in an office doing an admin job. Like any other job. Great if you are lucky enough to get a role in one of the stadiums. I applied. Didn't get a sniff of an interview.