Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OLYMPIC GAMES -- who cares ?????

Comments

• Options
    I have absolutely no interest in this at all. The only part of it l may watch is the football but even then, pah, whatever.
  • Options

B if i make the next home game i will catch up with what you might be looking for, there are a few things we are doing that are looking for volunteers they aint finalished but if you are still looking to do something it might suit you

• Options
    Ok. Ta
  • Options
    Once in a lifetime opportunity. Sadly, I couldn't be bothered to apply for tickets - I expected them to struggle to sell 'em - how wrong can you be? I'm not all that bothered to be honest, but I feel I should have got tickets for at least one event, especially after finding a ticket from the 1948 games amongst my late father's effects.
  • Options
    Total and utter waste of money.
  • Options
    youy have too look past that, it is the ultimate stage for the athletes to perform, the world cup and europeans are just the same yet everyone wanted to get those,
  • Options
    Find it amusing that the hottest tickets seem to be for the 100m. 9 seconds later and they can all go home knowing that Bolt is fast.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    what happens if they all false start ?

do they give the medal to the guy with the gun ? 
  • Options
    I applied for 1 ticket to each of the mens basketball quater finals. Didnt get anything. I've now seen various companies all giving away tickets for these events... events we have already paid for. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth seeing our money going towards these lavish corporates. As far as i'm concerned the olympics can go stick it
    Er I think those companies have also paid for the tickets. It is called sponsorship.
    Er I think we've already paid for the games before the sponsors come in. I'm called a taxpayer. You're an arse
  • Options

If anyone on here doesn't care but happens to have tickets they want to sell at face value then you are welcome to whisper me...   :-)

I put my name down for £1500 worth and got none, i also put my name down to volunteer and never got interviewed.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I care and as the tickets were massively over subscribed so do lots of other people.

I got some tickets and looking forward to it.

NLA, let me know about the volunteering stuff too. 
  • Options
    No probs h , I will try to make Saturday work permitting, if not I will speak with the locog team and let you and b know,

From what I heard it could be quite interesting and fun but it will be a bit of hard graft too, once I have the info , I will make sure u get the chance to apply ,

Only open to those I know sorry can't just recommend everyone because if you fudge up I will get the grief

• Options
    I will be working in Stratford Westfield for the duration of the Olympics, and Adidas have booked a local hotel out for the entire time for people to stay in if they cannot get home.
  • Options
    Was so happy when we got awarded the games but they have just shat on the people who have paid for it and not given them tickets.
  • Options
    Once in a lifetime event for me really looking forward to it. 

My brother is event organiser for the gymnastics. 

He has spent his whole life dedicated to this sport as a gymnast himself, then a coach, then judging and finally event organiser at all levels (he still maintains that the most satisfaction that he gets is from seeing the less abled enjoy their gymnastics and the enjoyment that it brings to them and their families).

I for one will be a very proud man when the whole thing starts, especially knowing how much my brother and those around him have put into the whole thing. 
  • Options

I can't wait, one of the greatest sporting events in the world on our doorstep. I was lucky enough to get athletics tickets for me and the missus but will try and take my daughter along to one of the free events.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the commute during the period though!

• Options
    One of my school teachers went to the opening ceremony in 1948.  It's been a rare occasion that I've heard anybody speak more passionately about a subject than she spoke to us about her big day.  "If ever you get the chance, you should go", she told us.  When London was announced as hosts, I was so excited;  I thought it would be brilliant, I'll be able to see it for myself.  

Since then things have changed.  High ticket prices, a fantastically convoluted bidding system and cruddy little logo that is designed purely to be bastardised by corporate sponsors have all served to put me off.   I can't see me going.  They've failed on their transport plan and are now dependant on businesses in London doing 30% less travel over the Olympic period (as if) for people people to be able to get to the games.  It's gonna be a nightmare.  

Finally.  I've just clapped eyes on the new Olympic 50p coins.  Utter joke - toy town money.
  • Options
    One of my school teachers went to the opening ceremony in 1948.  It's been a rare occasion that I've heard anybody speak more passionately about a subject than she spoke to us about her big day.  "If ever you get the chance, you should go", she told us.  When London was announced as hosts, I was so excited;  I thought it would be brilliant, I'll be able to see it for myself.  

Since then things have changed.  High ticket prices, a fantastically convoluted bidding system and cruddy little logo that is designed purely to be bastardised by corporate sponsors have all served to put me off.   I can't see me going.  They've failed on their transport plan and are now dependant on businesses in London doing 30% less travel over the Olympic period (as if) for people people to be able to get to the games.  It's gonna be a nightmare.  

Finally.  I've just clapped eyes on the new Olympic 50p coins.  Utter joke - toy town money.
    THIS
  • Options
    The logo is just a logo.  It's nothing special but certainly nothing to get hung about.

The ticketing system seemed pretty simple to me.  Stick down what you want and then it all goes in a ballot.  Only problem was it was so popular. 

Don't know about transport plan.  We'll see how it goes.

And a 50p coin! come on, does it really matter.

NLA, cheers let me know as I still have the programme and you still owe me £5
  • Options
    Cant wait for the opening ceremony, I am going to the test one aswell where u get to see the whole thing bar the athletes entering the stadium ,

There is so much to look forward too , cafnt wait for the para Olympics either,

My pal is heading for London 2012 as an Olympian in fencing so proud of her , the commitment she has shown over the last 4 years has been inspiring

Good luck crystal nearly there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will do h no probs
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The logo is just a logo.  It's nothing special but certainly nothing to get hung about.
    The logo is (quite literally) the flag for the event.  It signals what the games are about and what is important.  Millions of pounds and thousands of hours should be spent on making sure that the logo represents precisely the spirit of the games.  That is exactly what has happened and the the logo for these games spells one message loud and clear:  Corporate Greed.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Im pretty indifferent to be honest. Part of me wants it to be great for national pride and a bit of postive news and good feeling in the country which is much needed. But the more cynical part of me wants it to be a monumnetal fuck up so that the politicians and other such muppets that "run" this great city have egg on there face. Wont happen though as despite the delapidated (sp) infrastructure eg transport us Londoners have to put up with each day itll no doubt run like clockwork for the non- peasants during the olympics and well have to live witth the smugness and backpatting of our betters in the front row seats.

Also  I do think that for many it is a big ego trip "I got tickets for XXXXX and cant wait" and "Ill be able to say I was there..." etc rather than a true love for athletics or seeing top class sportsmen because everytime i watch the athletics at Crystal palace or in Sheffield on tv the stadiums seem half empty.

Bit like seeing Jordan at the cup final.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    My very good friend was head hunted by her ex boss Barbara cassani, ex head of go airline, to come and work for her after BC was put in charge of heading up the Olympic bid. As good as she was BC was pushed out to make way for lord coe. My pal carried on working for 2012 bid regardless. Couldn't stand her new bosses but did the job. She was in Singapore at that great moment... rang me screaming happy when I was watching yelling too. I kept the standard for her for when she returned to see their triumph on paper... I even saw her on telly that night at the parties. Obviously it all went so horribly wrong the next day with the London bombings. What a horrible wake up call.

Anyways the moral of this bleeding long essay... As far as I'm concerned in my little opinion my pal won those Olympics single handed for London... she applied for loads of tickets and didn't get one.

So nla I can recommend her too.

• Options
    She should ask Terry Naylor for a ticket - I'm sure he'll be able to get his hands on some.
  • Options
    I would be too scared to say no b,
  • Options
    Goonerhater October 19 Quote

what happens if they all false start ?

do they give the medal to the guy with the gun ? 

Yes, but then they load the gun and he shoots himself for being such a crap starter.
  • Options
    Lol. Good man. I won't be there sat but will be in touch when back as up in peak district at min.
  • Options

I agree that its brilliant for all the competitors that are working hard, and for them to win in their home country must be massive and a big incentive and for that reason I think it is great.

However, they would work as hard if the olympics were in spain or america or anywhere else as they only get a shot every 4 years which is why it is so important. Do you think it makes a massive difference where they win the gold as long as they win it?

I think that if Londoners had even just a priority on 10% of the ticket it would have pleased people a bit more to have a bit more of a shot of getting to go. Obviously it would have been over subscribed as well but it would have shown some kind of loyalty to those that have contributed towards it.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Weegie you are more than welcome to stay round mine and watch it all on the TV . I have a 32 inch in the bedroom and those black out curtains