Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe Wanderers v Charlton - Preview, Views and News

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
blip  (blimagep)n.
A spot of light on a radar or sonar screen indicating the position of a
detected object, such as an aircraft or a submarine. Also called pip3.
2. A high-pitched electronic sound; a bleep.
3. A transient sharp upward or downward movement, as on a graph.
4. A temporary or insignificant phenomenon, especially a brief departure from the normal:

We all knew a league defeat would come sooner or even later.  The test would be how the team and management responded.

The win over Carlisle was an emphatic response to the poor result and  performance at Stevenage.  Not every team will make it as easy as the Cumbrians did with their open football and free gift goals but a 4 - 0 victory is not to be sneezed at.

Now Charlton make another road trip to another commuter town North of London.  Like Stevenage, Wycombe are another former non-league side and although they first joined the Football League as far back as 1993 they are another side that some Charlton fans will look down their noses at the prospect of playing as league equals.  However, it is just these sort of games that need to be won if the "One Aim" is to be achieved.

Two seasons ago Charlton did the double over the Chairboys (the only times the teams have met in the league) and contributed to their relegation.  Last term Wycombe bounced back but are again struggling at the higher level. 

They sit above the relegation dotted line on goal difference alone and have so far won only three games but be warned. Two of those wins were v high flyers Hartlepool and Sheffield Utd.   And so far they have scored only 6 and let in just 9 goals at Adam Park or whatever they call the Stadium these days.

Chris Powell stuck to his guns by leaving Green and Kermongant in the starting XI on Saturaday.  The Frenchman certainly repaid the faith shown in him with two goals and seems certain to start again alongside BWP.   Green will still be under pressure from Wagstaff and the manager will have to decide whether to go with the greater attacking option of the ex-Daggers man or the more defensively solid youth product.

In midfield Johnnie Jackson appeared to have a muscle pull near the end of the Carlisle game but there is no news as to his availability.  Dale Stephens should be available again after his child's Saturday morning birth but Andy Hughes' excellent league debut does not warrant demotion to the bench.  Evina could come in at LM or will Powell opt to play Stephens or even Hughes as a tucked in midfielder.

The number of possible options, all of which have their merits, only go  to show the strength and depth of the squad that Chris has assembled.  It's not perfect but this is league one.

At the back it will have to be the same five as before. Dropping Solly didn't work and Powell was quick to end that particular experiment.

A 1000+ Addicks to see a comfortable 2 - 0 away win with one of the centre halves scoring at last.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlton 1st: Highest possible position after midweek games 1st; Lowest 3rd
Wycombe 19th Highest possible position after midweek games 16th, Lowest 24th

Other games

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=259954  A Wycombe view

Comments

• Options
    back to winning ways on the road 0-2, Kermit and Morrison
  • Options
    Good preview..enjoyed reading that. 

Would expect the same side....or for Stephens in for Hughes....but in Powell we trust (as long as he starts Solly!)

1-0 Addicks.
  • Options

As i am now a confirmed betting expert after my five-team accy win on Saturday, i can assure you Charlton will win this one.

There you go, start remortgaging.

And though i did not see Hughes on Saturday, Stephens hasn't done enough for me in the last 4-5 games to warrant jumping straight back into the side.

• Options
    "Now Charlton make another road trip to
    another commuter town North of London.  "

Are you intent on getting our support lost! Wycombe is to the west of London along the M40
  • Options
    It's North and West of London.

My map says "there be dragons"
  • Options
    Stevenage and Wycombe. Two of the smallest clubs, at least in name that we are likely to come up against and we will lose this one as well. 2 - 1 Wanderers.
  • Options
    tough 1-1 draw and another reality check that we wont walk this league
  • Options

I normally go for caution with these sort of games then get accused of being negative so I am changing my stance and going for a 1-3 away win to the lads.

COYR

• Options
    Tough game, looking forward to it.

We shouldn't fear them and if we can get our passing game going we should win, if Wycombe don't let us play then who knows.

As long as we get another 3 points I'll be happy.
  • Options
    A hard fought 2-0 and it starts to look like the Stevenage defeat was probably the best thing that could've happened to us, as ti taught us a lesson. Now hopefully we can kick on and go on another run.

I'd probably stick with the Carlisle team too, they deserve it. You can't really go winning 4-0 then drop people, as I'm sure SCP knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 win after going behind.
  • Options
    Another Charlton win .

2-0 and we don't need to worry about the team sheet any more : there are now at least 15 names we should all be happy to see start, in whatever formation CP thinks best!
  • Options
    I had a good feeling about the Carlisle game - had faith that Powell would sort it out. Not sure about this one. What the hell - I'll go 1-2 - BWP brace.
  • Options
    2 - 1 Charlton. We go two up in the first half bwp and jacko, they equalise early second and we brick it.
  • Options

3-1 to the addicks, Jacko with a brace Green with the other.

• Options
    2 - 1 Charlton. We go two up in the first half bwp and jacko, they equalise early second and we brick it.
    err?
  • Options
    They go 4 up in the first half but we sort it out in the second and win 2-0, with Cory Gibbs grabbing a hatrick.
  • Options
    err?
    I was suggesting an element of fear creeping into our play as a result of the halving of the goal deficit. I perhaps used terminology that was at best ambiguous?

• Options
    It more to do with us being two goals up, them equalising yet the game finishes 2-1.
  • Options
    I said 2-1 Charlton!!! 1-2 happy? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said 2-1 Charlton!!! 1-2 happy? ;)
    I think the fact that you said we go 2 up and they equalize and then called the result 2-1 might be the cause of some confusion.

Anyway, I'm going, I'm confident, Wycombe are two bob. All of which points to Stevenage mk II. 0-1 defeat.

• Options

It's nothing to do with that! It says "we go two up in the first half bwp and jacko, they equalise early second...". If we're two goals up at half time then Wycombe would have to score 2 goals to equalise, so it couldn't finish 2-1!

This is the sort of conversation I usually have with my missus!

• Options
    Oh yeah. How silly I must look!
  • Options
    They need to watch out for the banana skins that Gary Waddock will be throwing around when both teams come onto the pitch tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Jackson said on twitter that his hamstring is fine, and will be ok for tomorrow night, so expect him to start! Am a big Stephens fan so would prefer him to come back in for Hughes but after the job Hughes did on sat would not complain if he doesnt. 2-1 charlton!
  • Options
    1-4 Charlton. Jackson (21, 65) BWP (10) Kermorgant (52)
  • Options
    3-1 to us
  • Options
    3-0   Kermorgant (10),  Wright-Phillips (43), Wiggins (90+3)
  • Options
    unchanged team, stephens on the bench for euell, 1-1 draw
  • Options
    any sort of a win thank you.