Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker - Spurtz

Comments

• Options
    Nice visual metaphor for the Manchester derby.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    City will win the league, Chelsea will finish second, Utd third and Tottenham fourth.
    You must be a rich man Leroy, knowing the final standing of the league as a matter of fact! I'm even more impressed considering you have earlier stated in the thread that you don't even watch the premiership.
  • Options
    In his first 7 games for Spurs, the team has picked up 6 wins and a draw and he has picked up 5 MOTM awards.
    His work rate, his drive and determination, his positional play, his passing, absolutely first class.

In all my days of supporting Spurs, I cannot think of another signing, Klinsmann apart, to have had such a sudden and drammatic impact on the side.  Even Gazza took 6-12 months to settle down.
    I was always a little unsure of him for some reason.  Saw a playet with plenty of promise when he played for you but never really hit the heights at Chelsea or Newcastle but seeing him shine in a West Ham shirt last season, I knew he would be perfect for us but I was surprised to hear and read from a lot of Spurs supporters that he wasnt the player we needed.  Jesus, Parker has made them eat their words.

If fit and available, on current form, will be one of the first names on the team sheet.  Just a shame we didnt get him 3 or 4 years ago in his prime.

For the first time since the '87 side, we look like a proper team now.  Pace down both flanks, solid through the spine of the side with pace, skill and flair in abundance.
    If anyone hasnt seen todays 3rd goal yet, I recommend you watch MOTD2 tonight.

• Options
    What AFKA said.
    He steps into the England midfield and all of a sudden we have drive and organisation. Yids are lucky to have him.
  • Options
    Having seen him play the likes of Vieira, Keane, Gerrard off the pitch I told anyone who would listen (other clubs supporters) that he was brilliant at the time.

Truly world class IMHO and if he did let us down by going to Chelsea, one thing he never did was let us down on the pitch.

He should have been an England regular many years ago.

Apart from when he told the club that he would never play for us again, thanks spotty
  • Options
    Did the people who scoff at the idea that we could have made 4th, let alone Europe that season not follow Charlton back then? I mean seriously do they not remember how good we were? We weren't 4th at the beginning of September because we'd played some shit teams and everyone else had a game in hand. We weren't scraping wins and wondering when the luck would run out. We were 4th in JANUARY. Well past the half way mark in the season. We finished 7th and 3(?) points off Europe (after that ludicrous game at Villa we somehow lost). Im not one to talk about what if but this is an exception. OF COURSE we would have made Europe had that dickhead stayed, and quite possibly 4th. I expect the laughs from people who don't support Charlton and had nothing but the table to go on for proof of how good we were that season. But I don't expect to have to make this seemingly blindingly obvious point to Charlton fans who witnessed our team, our form and Parker's exit in that season.
  • Options
    Johnboy why do you support spurs?

No offence but just read your parker post above and you have made me feel sick.
  • Options
    Johnboy why do you support spurs?

No offence but just read your parker post above and you have made me feel sick.

What do you mean? What have I done now???
  • Options

• Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't really care what parker does now. Great footballer but after what he did to us I have zero respect for him.
    I'm convinced we would have finished 4th and that was our chance. All he had to do was wait a few months and he would have got his move.
  • Options
    Top seven I think Tottenham will finish.The two Manchester clubs,Chelsea and Arsenal top four.
    Well Spurs are now equal on points in third place with Chelsea and
    Newcastle and we've got a game in hand over our West London neighbours,
    who have lost their last two Premier League matches.

Looking at
    the fixtures before we meet Chelsea at White Hart Lane on 22nd December
    shows six games which should all be winnable..

Fulham 05-11-11 A
    Aston Villa 19-11-11 H
    West Bromwich Albion A
    Bolton Wanderers 03-12-11 H
    Stoke City 11-12-11 A
    Sunderland 18-12-11 H

...but of course we're bound to drop some points in that lot.

Meanwhile,
    Spurs have equalled their best Premier League points haul after the
    opening 9 matches of a season and anything we get from Fulham next
    Sunday will set a new club record.

We've got almost all our key
    players back from injury and Rafael van der Vaart has just become our
    most lethal goalscorer during the Premier League Era with 19 goals from
    36 appearances for a strike-rate of a goal for every 1.89 games played
    (Jurgen Klinsmann had 1.93).

Scott Parker, Man of the Match yesterday, has been absolutely fantastic since signing with us and has been a key part in our current 11-match unbeaten run.

There are many who feel that Spurs are not only good enough for fourth but that third place is certainly within our grasp.

• Options
    No doubt the Yids are a quality outfit, with some top players. Great team to watch too. Parker, as much as a greedy little fuckwit that he is, is a top class player, but he should have stayed with us till the end of that season, if he did he would of gone on to amazing things. Alas he didn't $$$$$$$ and went to the worst club in the country to sit on the bloody bench, which not only scuppered our chances of finishing higher in the league that year, but ruined his career whilst he was at it. Just look at him now, one of the most consistent performers in the PL and first name on the England team sheet!! 

What a fooking waste, what a freaking twat! I hate Chelski. SCUM
  • Options
    Spurs have a decent side (as much as it pains me to say it) however this good run they are on does seem to be against some of the weaker sides in the league. In fact it is quite similar to the teams Newcastle have faced and everyone wants to mention that in the same breath when giving them any praise but for Spurs its always talk of the top 4. I wonder that when Van der Vaart's goalscoring run comes to an end who will get the goals. Defoe isn't the same player he was 4/5 seasons ago and Adebayor you never know, sometimes brilliant sometimes looks like Heskey.

As for Parker, absolute class player on the pitch, we know what he did to us however but I wonder at that age and with the options open to him at the time how many would have made a different decision. I've been saying for years he was exactly the sort of player needed in the England set up and finally now seems to be an automatic starter but unfortunately far too late in his career.
  • Options
    Interesting thread this.
    The midfield we had with Parker was pretty awesome looking back and Parker was undoubtedly the jewel in the crown. He was the heart of the team, no question, I can remember travelling up to goodison when he had been dropped to "sort himself out". We won 1-0 but we were half the team without him, even with di canio.
    Parker was that good.
    So when I see him now, and others are lauding the abilities that we all knew and saw he had in abundance, I think yeah we tried to tell you.
    Parker's move messed up our season but he probably paid a price for his poor decision to go to Chelsea. He should have been in the England squad and gone to a World Cup or two. We would have been a hell of a lot better than we were, in my view.
    Players like Parker come along to clubs like us once in a blue moon.
    It will always be a bitter sweet experience watching him play, but if he's wearing your team's shirt, he's about everything you could want in a player.
    Love letter over.
    After all he's spurs now.... ;-)

• Options
    edited October 2011
    As for Parker, I wonder at that age and with the options open to him at the time how many would have made a different decision.

exactly.... amazing how clever some are with hindsight

yes he behaved like a plum but got what he wanted and at the time it was thought to be a decent sum for us to receive but it did scupper what chance we had of european football and with hindsight not a good career move

• Options
    John boy... because your over flowing praise of parker turned my stomach. What might have been for us etc.

Great player but bit of a snidey little sod.
  • Options
    Different slant on Parker from me. Supporters, which we all are, live in a World of love of their Club, loyalty, and blind support. Todays players live in a World of multi millionaires, and being able to set themselves up financially for life, plus of course the admiration they get from kids etc. The way football is going this is never going to change, how many of us at his age would have said no the opportunity he was offered ? Me, my love is for the Club, and anyone who truly loves it like I do. Thousands of us have put up with absolute crap the last few years, but we are still here passing the love down through our kids. Enjoy.
  • Options

A lot of people commented that Spurs had a quiet window  but in some ways I think they had the best impact in my opinion the signings of Adebayor , Freidal and Parker I think make them genuine contenders for a top four slot.

Harry also seems to be getting through the Europa league comfortably with his promising youngsters. Good times at WHL.

• Options
    Re Scotty

He is arguably our best ever player ...that may depend on what he achieves with England and Spurs in the future too
    bearing in mind the team he was in took us the brink of european qualification he is the best player i have seen in a charlton shirt in nigh on 50 years .(We can say hales,flanagan,bonds,bailey ,simonsen but hed did it at the top level for us consistently) We hate him because he left but was so good.He just gets better as he gets older ,the only thing going against him slightly is that he will get injuries    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I have supported the team for a little bit longer than you lolwray and he is certainly right up there as one of our best ever players imho but I don't hate him. As I have said before if he was my son at the time of his move to Chelsea I would have said fill your boots lad because its a profession that can be ended at such short notice by serious injury. The circumstances surrounding his departure did not do him any favours with the Charlton faithful but hate him? No not me.
  • Options
    hate him ? ...me neither ,nothing but admiration for him ...He was required to say the right things when he left etc
    he will win more caps for england than any (ex)CAFC player than i have seen  ..(.i dont count Defoe) 
  • Options
    says it all "at Charlton/Newcastle we didnt rate him" ------ no? so he could get in the England team with both but not good enough for you gobby overated tossers.

What is it about North London that makes em such utter wa--kers ?
  • Options
    I don't hate parker either. Hate is an emotion that should only be used in extreme circumstances. I understand his reasons for going. Short career etc. I also do not know what promises he was made by cafc when he signed his last contract with us. Was he told if a big club comes in we will let you go? Football is a business and the club acts pretty quick to get rid of players when they have outlived their usefulness regardless of what they have done beforehand (kinsella). Its not him leaving that gets to me, its the way he effectively forced the move through, showing absolute disrespect for the other players, club and fans. Now I'm a fan of cafc so enough of this spurs parker love in. Good luck to parker but he is not cafc anymore.
  • Options
    Another for the 'I don't hate him' team. That said, I wish he had stayed on just until the end of that season, simply because of the difference it could have made. I think his departure is every bit as important as that of Curbishley a few seasons later in determining the more recent history of the club (and I reckon the two are linked come to think of it.)
  • Options

His departure was key to us missing our best chance of European football. But he was a young lad and he had his head turned. I blame Chelsea more than him.

He was immense yesterday and was with the WH last season. Spurs look a really good team atm and I think they have a better than 50% chance of a top 4 place.

• Options
    Chelsea are scum, and embody everything that is wrong with modern football. Grubby little club. I hope they go bust when Abramovich finally gets bored and cant compete with City's backers.
    I'm sure they bought Parker with no intention of using him, in part because they were worried about us and knew we'd be weaker without him. Even had the brass neck to say Charlton bit their arm off when they saw the money. Utter filth.

I don't blame Parker for going, but he did it six months too early, and though Curbs did fantastically well that season, I suspect the fight went out of him a bit after that. Some of the funds were spent on wasters like Murphy (he WAS a t0sser) and it's been a decline ever since. Parker's england and club career paid the price for his benchwarming, and the fact that Sven couldnt see a good player if one kicked him in the aris.

He'll probably never admit it, but with hindsight I suspect Parker might think he'd have been better off staying at The Valley to the end of that season. I'm sure CAFC would have wished him well leaving at that point - that feelings are now so mixed about one of our best ever players suggests a strong sense of betrayal among the supporters. Which I share, as I'd just had "OOH 7" put on the back of a shirt...

• Options

The only problem I have with Parker is that he signed for spurs. Any other club and I would have wished him well but not while he plays for them!

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Been 7/8 years since he left might aswell just move on and forget about it. He's a great footballler, good luck to him and we have big things going on for ourselves ATM (potentially).
  • Options
    As usual mention of Scott brings out a fair proportion of negative posts. 

I believe that the club were originally in talks to sell him to Chelski the previous summer but that was scuppered by the Russians who didn't think that he was a big enough name for them.

To me all that is water way under the bridge now.

I think that Scott is the player that England have been crying out for for years whilst successive managers have tried to make the Gerrard/Lampard combination work.What is puzzling is why he was overlooked for so long. 

Before the last World Cup, Scott was in the training squad but missed out on a place.Harry Redknapp was interviewed at the time about Dawson who also missed out on the original squad. He said that there was no chance that either Dawson or Parker would be selected. He said that news from players inside the camp was that Scott had turned up and played out of his skin in training knowing that he was very unlikely to be picked. 

His form last year for Wet Spam was awesome in a team that was under-performing. I am just delighted for him that he is playing in a talented team under a manager who believes in him. He is a Spurs fan if memory serves so a great time for him in the latter part of his career.

What I saw of his performance yesterday is that it was nigh on perfect. To me it is great to see arguably the greatest player we have produced doing the business for club and country.