Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Youth Unemployment - Tops 1Million This Week - How Do You Solve It?

Comments

• Options
    Get them to return to their schools and explain to the bone idle teenagers (not all teenagers as many are excellent hard workers either in academic or practical qualifications)  what happens if you do naff all at school and leave expecting the world to owe you a favour, or, as I have seen at too many schools, expect to make it rich by marrying a footballer or winning some two bit talent show on TV
  • Options
    THe train contract was under OJEU   rules. Thats  Official Journal European Union.  any contract over £150K have to advertised EU wide. It costs  around £80K all if for a full OJEU advert and contract process and takes aprox 5 months. If HM Gov had "waited" the award process in favour of a UK company they would have received a "challange" from any company outside the UK and could have been fined millions by the EU.

1)We need to invest in manufacturing 
    2)We need to stop "2.8 million British jobs" going to none UK people

However re the above
    1 =  We aint got any money (unless it helping Ireland out !)
    2 =  Sorry Mr Brown its impossible as ALL jobs created can in fact go to workers from the EU not specific to the UK.
  • Options
    Triumph make over 50,000 bikes per year, which is pretty impressive.
    Though the frames are made in a Triumph owned factory in Thailand.
  • Options
    step 1 more vocationally oriented education
    step 2 improve significantly concessions to employers who recruit school leavers /graduates
    step 3 amend age discrimination legislation to encourage employers to hire school leavers 
    step 4 immediately repatriate any foreign student who wdnt otherwise have any residential qualification immediately after they finish their degree
    step 5 greater career guidance to students in secondary eduaction
    step 6 improve secondary and university teaching standards by 100%

thats a start ...vote for me anyone ?  
  • Options
    Those involved in the riots didn't fear a long spell in prison and neither do the wasters and young criminals who also draw benefits. Force them to take the apprenticeships in the prison builds ... ........... And yet when a train manufacturing contract was up for grabs the government awarded it to Siemens in Germany: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GwvUpdTqoI The biggest welfare queen in this country is Fred Goodwin - fact.

Siemens got that largely thanks to the rules of your beloved EU as Goonerhater states.

No arguments from me re that piece of excrement Goodwin. That all happened on Gordon Brown and Blair's watch though didn't it?!

• Options
    step 1 more vocationally oriented education
    step 2 improve significantly concessions to employers who recruit school leavers /graduates
    step 3 amend age discrimination legislation to encourage employers to hire school leavers 
    step 4 immediately repatriate any foreign student who wdnt otherwise have any residential qualification immediately after they finish their degree
    step 5 greater career guidance to students in secondary eduaction

Will you get rid of tuition fees? 
  • Options

How many of that million are happy claiming benefits and dont really want a job?

Employ 200,000 people to investigate benefit fraud - everyone on benefits is re-interviewed or has their case looked at every 6 months. If there are 6million on incapacity benefit etc (a guess - dont know how many) then 200,000 investigators have 30 cases each to properly investigate in each 6 month period.Too many people milking the system.

• Options

No. Personally I think you have missed the point.
    Whilst I agree teaching can always improve, some effort and attitude change amongst the majority of students who go on to not get employment is the only answer to the current and future mess.
  • Options

Walk past the new building next to Sidcup station everyday and virtually all the workman on that site that i see / hear are east european. Something is not right but its not often you see unemployed tradesman. The wages go down in times of recession but there always seems to be work. We've got to invest in apprenticeships as Henry says and the government infastructure schemes have to be the starting point for big incentives to increase the numbers of apprenticeships for school leavers and if we can tie that in with more prisons, then great.

• Options
    I think there are bits or truth in what everybody is saying. Taking on a young person with no experience is a longer term committment no matter how enthusiastic they may be. In the short term experienced staff  are better.

Lots of degrees actuall make it harder to find jobs. There are sought after degrees where a top job is guaranteed and degrees that mean you have wasted a few years of your life and have lost out on that important experience. The system is all wrong - we should be identifying the courses that we need people to be taking and no fees should be attached to them and a sliding scale should be applied depending on the considered worh of the degree.

There is also a reluctance I suspect for younger people (not a young people thing- more a reflection of society) to understand that sometimes you have to start at the very bottom and work your way up. The argument that pay for a job isn'nt much more than benefits is stupid as if you use it as a stepping stone to build a career you income will go up far more than if you are a long term benefit claimant.

But of course the biggest factor of all is that there aren't any jobs, due to the massive hole we are in. This is going to affect everybody out of a job and people in a job are going to stick with what they have and ride the storm. It stands to reason that in these conditions, there will be more young people entering the labour market.

How do you put it right - of course you wouldn't expect to find the answer on a Charlton forum when th ebest minds can't solve it. I would suspect it is by treading that fine line between necessary cuts but slowing the pace of them as much as you can until the conditions improve. But probably not a total solution, which is to wait and hope things improve before they get too much worse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you suggesting the best minds are not on this forum Mutley? Just because we didn't agree with your assessment of Euell's performance on sunday, i can't believe your suggesting the politicians have superior minds.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Was thinking the same as you 'Bexley Dan' wait until Henners, Corobodan, Kap 10, Airman Brown but to name a few read this. I'd edit Mutley if I were you.
  • Options

Easy !!

Early retirement for all those aged 60+, especailly those in public sector jobs...............then those jobs can be fiiled with the 16-25 year olds. Kills 3or 4 birds with one stone. The uneployment benefit paid to these 16-25 yr olds can go to the retirees, boosting their pensions until the old-age pension kicks in (we know this payment will then stop at 65/67 thus saving money , rather than paying dole money for ever and a day) also takes the kids off the street = less violence, graffitee, shoplifting etc etc.

Same theme for manufactoring etc - kids take up a trade and then mentored by a forthcoming retiree (called an apprentership - used to happen & it worked !) then when the aprentice is trained (2 -3 yrs) the older person retires and his job is taken by the newly skilled one.

Also, those not taking up the above are forced to help society - from general tidying up to mending potholes and building new prisons/hospitals etc. They get minimum wage instead of dole.

• Options
    Its all well and good saying we need more apprenticeships and manufacturing jobs for young people, but really, how many of these kids do you think would jump at the chance to be a plumber or a factory worker? 
    They don't want those jobs. People coming in from the EU DO want those jobs. You can't force someone into a job they don't want simply because you feel it would help the economy out.  
  • Options
    You cant look at the UK total re unemployed without looking at the total jobs market EU wide. With open borders in the EU any vacancy in the UK can go to ANYONE who is an EU citizen.

People on here twonked on about how the UK benefits to the nth degree  re imigration with  first saying mass imigration wasnt happening it was all a lie by the Daily Mail.Then it was a good thing after they couldnt cover it up anymore.

The figure allowed in it somewhere around 5 million --just a guess  by me but im sure it will be in relation to the figure spouted by the Labour scum who arnt yet registered to vote.

What will happen ? nothing much untill say a year before the next election----The Torys will sell off the state owned banks net say 2 billion in profit and maybe find another billion and come up with X amount of Governement training schemes etc  the total will drop but they wont be real jobs

• Options
    Too few jobs, chased by too many people.

The politicians who pretend that it is any different, are speaking from the relative safety of their financially comfortable positions.

There's not going to be a quick solution, either for the youngsters or older people caught up in this recession.

And it may very well get worse, with many more losing their livelihood or not even getting a chance - before things get any better.

• Options
    Have fewer kids and put greater controls around immigration
  • Options
    I do like the idea of national service

Teach respect for their elders, also teach them now to kill and maim so when they finish NS and are unemployed and back on the streets at least they know how to kill a few people so they can get their jobs - yes that'll work, especially if they are good at killing as it will save the NHS and give extra jobs in the undertaking and grave digging sectors.
  • Options
    I'm sure the armed forces would love to devote overstretched manpower to trying to control youth who refuse to go to school, refuse to listen to teachers with the full backing of their parents, engage in regular drug-taking from the age of 12 and who have no respect for their elders or anyone in a position of authority.
    I'm sure the job will be even easier without the ability to even shout at the little darlings.

National service simple would never, ever work.
  • Options

I think there are bits or truth in what everybody is saying. Taking on a young person with no experience is a longer term committment no matter how enthusiastic they may be. In the short term experienced staff  are better.

Lots of degrees actuall make it harder to find jobs. There are sought after degrees where a top job is guaranteed and degrees that mean you have wasted a few years of your life and have lost out on that important experience. The system is all wrong - we should be identifying the courses that we need people to be taking and no fees should be attached to them and a sliding scale should be applied depending on the considered worh of the degree.

There is also a reluctance I suspect for younger people (not a young people thing- more a reflection of society) to understand that sometimes you have to start at the very bottom and work your way up. The argument that pay for a job isn'nt much more than benefits is stupid as if you use it as a stepping stone to build a career you income will go up far more than if you are a long term benefit claimant.

But of course the biggest factor of all is that there aren't any jobs, due to the massive hole we are in. This is going to affect everybody out of a job and people in a job are going to stick with what they have and ride the storm. It stands to reason that in these conditions, there will be more young people entering the labour market.

How do you put it right - of course you wouldn't expect to find the answer on a Charlton forum when th ebest minds can't solve it. I would suspect it is by treading that fine line between necessary cuts but slowing the pace of them as much as you can until the conditions improve. But probably not a total solution, which is to wait and hope things improve before they get too much worse!

I agree with this so much it's almost as if i typed it myself.

The problem is the percentage of the population that graduate does not match the percentage of post grad jobs.  Add to that a Degree in Fine art is one of the most expensive wastes of time ever. I can't find the stats now but i believe arts related degrees were second only to Law and the fact of the matter is the jobs in that field just do not exist.

I only searched quickly so it may be inaccurate but 36% attend university. 36% of jobs cannot be post grad surely. I'm not saying less should go to Uni just that if you do, expect more competition for post grad rolls.

The fact of the matter is the jobs are not out there. I recently employed a warehouseman for minimum wage. 1 position 35 applicants in 1 day. I removed the ad and was still recieving CVs a week later. at the last count 140. I had skilled people applying, school leavers, ex-policemen even a bloke who helped design the Dartford bridge!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Invade France.

2 birds. 1 stone
  • Options
    When I left uni, Architecture degrees had the lowest employment rate.
    Around 10% who held the relevant degree were emploeyed in the profession.
  • Options
    When I left uni, Architecture degrees had the lowest employment rate.
    Around 10% who held the relevant degree were emploeyed in the profession.
    Well I'd refuse to employ anybody who wore sandals and a bow-tie so it serves them right.
  • Options
    bang more people up, for longer. So you need to build more prisons (creating jobs), need more prison officers (creating jobs) and if we brought back hanging that would be at least one more job.
    Plus two to carry the body out, one to dig the grave. It could be endless.
  • Options
    I do like the idea of national service

Teach respect for their elders, also teach them now to kill and maim so when they finish NS and are unemployed and back on the streets at least they know how to kill a few people so they can get their jobs - yes that'll work, especially if they are good at killing as it will save the NHS and give extra jobs in the undertaking and grave digging sectors.

The army is being reduced in size - I think the plan is to shrink it down to 82,000 over the next few years.
  • Options
    You cant look at the UK total re unemployed without looking at the total jobs market EU wide. With open borders in the EU any vacancy in the UK can go to ANYONE who is an EU citizen.

People on here twonked on about how the UK benefits to the nth degree  re imigration with  first saying mass imigration wasnt happening it was all a lie by the Daily Mail.Then it was a good thing after they couldnt cover it up anymore.

The figure allowed in it somewhere around 5 million --just a guess  by me but im sure it will be in relation to the figure spouted by the Labour scum who arnt yet registered to vote.

What will happen ? nothing much untill say a year before the next election----The Torys will sell off the state owned banks net say 2 billion in profit and maybe find another billion and come up with X amount of Governement training schemes etc  the total will drop but they wont be real jobs

There are a million British ex-pats living part or all of the time in Spain, Germany alone has 250,000 British workers and ex-pats. End immigration and maybe some of these countries will end British emigration, then you can work out what to do with an influx of unemployed workers.

We have to start manufacturing things again - whether they are cars, trains, or computer software. That's where you create wealth.

• Options
    Clogging up entry to jobs by making everyone work until they are 90 isn't helping the situation. It's young people that spend the most. New clothes, technology and if given the opportunity homes and everything that goes with owning one. Older people now working well into their sixties dont spend anywhere near as much as the younger generation and the combination of these two are going to hold back our ecconomy and perhaps lose a whole generation. Big problems are on the way if this issue not addressed. Can't help feeling that this country is royally fecked.
  • Options
    I'm 22 and got a job in hmv bluewater today! Very happy as I have been struggling to get work for a year.
    It's hard being out of work especially if you don't have confidence in yourself or you feel you have no experience in anything decent enough to get employment, you just end up drifting abit.
    There should be more schemes and training courses available to people that are clueless about where to start.

I'm lucky and relieved.
  • Options
    Congrats Dave, just don't look at HMV's share-price whatever you do, or their balance sheet...
  • Options
    Yeah congrats Dave. Hope it all works out well.