Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford vs. Charlton | 19 November 2011 | Match Preview, Predictions, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited November 2011 in General Charlton

Charlton get back to league action this weekend in a West London derby against our League One nemesis, Brentford.  The Addicks have have failed to beat boys from Griffin Park in five attempts since a Deon Burton and Lloyd Sam inspired win back in September 2009.  In those five games since, Charlton have only scored two goals (a Nicky bailey penalty and a notch from Scott Wagstaff) and we’ll be looking to improve on that record with the free-scoring team that Chris Powell has built up.

With 19 goals in our last five matches (3 conceded), the team goes into the game full of confidence, and after dispatching a lower league team in the FA Cup, this squad seems to be trying to dispel many Charlton hoodoo’s and swatting monkeys off backs at a rate of knots.  That being said, Brentford themselves are having a decent season.  Their loss at home to Stevenage a couple of weeks back was the only one in nine since a 4-0 home thumping by Huddersfield, and a win against us on Saturday could see them climb into the play-off places.

Chris Powell played a relatively strong team up at The Shay last weekend to keep players match fit, with Ben Hamer, Rhoys Wiggins, Danny Green and strike-duo Bradley Wright Phillips and Yann Kermongant sitting out.  None of the players that came in at Halifax did anything outstanding to suggest they can displace the current ‘league team’, yet Paul Hayes will be hopeful of renewing a productive partnership with BWP after his two assists in the FA Cup.  Whether this happens or not looks likely to rely on the fitness of Kermongant, although he is expected to start on Saturday.

New loan signing from QPR, Hogan Ephraim, fresh from his ‘best training session ever’ will be looking to get on the bench for the trip to Kew, and with places tight it looks like it will be Euell or Wagstaff who will be frantically struggling to keep their seat on the bench warm.  I’d expect Sullivan, Doc (Cort tired from international duty?), Evina, Hayes and Ephraim to make up the replacement options.

A big travelling support, a decent league run and a talk of big things to come would normally point to one thing in Charlton terms, but the One Aim take precedent this weekend as the Addicks run out 3-1 winners.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    A battling 1-1 draw
  • Options
    2-1 defeat bloody brentford bogey team
  • Options

Bogey team no more 3-0 to the Addicks. Kermit, Jacko and Hollands.

• Options
    A hard fought but well deserved 2.0 win, Wright Phillips and Jackson in the 1st half.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    come on guys.  4 is our number it is only a question of how many we let slip I am going for 2.  So 4-2 win.

Edit* got wine on the brain.     
  • Options
    One of the toughest away games this season imo. They do well against us but we are in good form and we seem very efficient at getting the job done at the moment.

• Options

Brentford have been a constant thorn in our side of late and for that reason I think our high-scoring form will stop here. If we can beat them then I just know we will get out of L1 this season, don't know why, just a strong feeling. I am plumping for a tight 1-0 and then a plum time to meet Hudders!!

• Options
    Tough game 1-2 Charlton bwp with both
  • Options
    a hard fort 1-2 win. one of the center backs  /kermit. coyr.
  • Options
    there current home form is not that good, lots of draws and not many goals scored and our away form is pretty good. I can't see them scoring more than one goal and they are a team that will sit back if they score first so expecting 2-1 win, coming from behind with the classy BWP and the Johnny on the spot Jackson getting the other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see a tough 0-0 - need to drop a couple of points to make sure SCP avoids Manager of the Month again ;-)
  • Options
    My incredibly gloating friend supports Brentford so god i hope we absolutely annihilate them. But i see it more likely as a close, but well earned win or maybe a slightly unlucky draw.
  • Options
    Doubt it'll be the goalfest we have been accustomed to in recent weeks but I'm expecting a hard-fought 2-0 win. Jackson pen and Kermit in the last minute to seal the deal.
  • Options

Charlton get back to league action this weekend in a West London derby against our League One nemesis!

West London!! 
  • Options

Charlton get back to league action this weekend in a West London derby against our League One nemesis!

West London!! 
    Well, we all know Charlton isn't in East London so it must be in West London.

2 - 1 to the Addicks after they go a goal up.   Taylor nods in a corner and Green gets his first goal from a free kick to win it.

Meanwhile Hudds lose to Notts Co.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
  • Options
    no don't want hudds to loose let then draw and then this millstone of unbeaten L1 games stops them going out to win a game rather than not loose a game - if you get my drift.

As for Griffin Park a bum squeaking 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    Be there with 3 mates first away game so bound to lose! On form tho I am going for 4-1
  • Options
    Battling 1 - 1
  • Options
    Easier than expected 3-0 to us. 
    BWP brace and a goal from one of the back 4. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    going conservative on this one Bees 1 v CAFC 1 .. the usual starting eleven for me with Ephraim subbing along with Hayes, Sullivan, Cort and Pritchard
  • Options
    In Clem Side's absence, I'll say that all good things must come to an end.

Stevenage revisited.
  • Options
    Solid but dull first half, we go one up on the hour, they then throw the kitchen sink at us and we end up winning 3-0, picking them off on the break and although we're dissapointed not to score 4 or 5 like normal, we decide 3 goals and a clean sheet away from home ain't too bad.
  • Options
    Other relevant fixtures

Tranmere v Sheffield Wed
    Sheff Utd v Carlisle

Charlton 1st  Highest possible position after games 1st; Lowest 1st
    Brentford 9th Highest 5th; Lowest 13th

Brentfords last 6 home games
    Home D L L D L W

• Options

Just had a call from a guy from Sky Sports. He got my name through Bromley Addicks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

He says that Sky Sports are doing a feature as part of their Xmas Promo and would like to include some Charlton fans at the Brentford match.

When I mentioned that there were going to boats going he said would make a good item.

Can someone who is organizing or just going contact him direct and he will give you the details.

Be great to get some publicly and for some fans to be on TV.

Contact him at Sky Sports on

aaon.aziz@bskyb.com

or phone 07525 824265

Tony 

• Options
    If we win I'll really start to believe.

Sadly we wont. 0-1.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

One of the hardest away games of the year. They will do a Stevenage on us. 2-1 defeat.

Alexander to score at least 1.

• Options

Correction to  SKY SPORTS contact

Should be

aaron.aziz@bskyb.com<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
  • Options
    tough grind for a point @ best
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Banana skin! 2-0 down by the half, but....

we will come back and win 3 or 4-2