Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life's Too Short

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else watching this. Enjoying it so far. Johnny Depp pretending to bang one out whilst Warwick Davis stands in the toilet!

I know it is a dwarf David Brent but it is making me laugh.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The first one got slated but i enjoyed it. Gonna watch the second one tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Liam Neeson last week had me in stitches with his "I've got full blown Aids".

• Options
    I never understand the saying "lifes too short" - its the longest thing you will ever do!
  • Options
    Will watch the 2nd one later lookin forward. The first one, at the start I wasn't impressed and just thought it was one big yawn. The last 10 mins was good when Liam nelson was getting into comedy...
  • Options
    Tonights was better than last week. I roared at Liam Neeson last week, but Johnny Depp ramped it up. The toilet scene was genius.
  • Options
    Only saw the bit while he was at the star wars convention which was quite funny.
  • Options
    That reporter had me in stitches, was surpised by how funny Johnny Depp was too, hilarious show, very similar to Extras though
  • Options
    Great one tonight. Very much like extras warick Davies is andy from extras and all the film star/celebs in it. Shaun Williamson in it as the same character aswell !
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Love it - I think it will get even better too as the character develops further. The Shaun Williamson bit at the end was hilarious.
  • Options
    Watched last weeks. mildly funny until Gervais and Merchant appeard and then it went down hill. Won't bother with the rest of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched last weeks. mildly funny until Gervais and Merchant appeard and then it went down hill. Won't bother with the rest of it.
    They were in the funniest bit last week!

From an African prostitute.

• Options
    There's just something about Gervais that makes my fists itch. I can't stand the bloke and cannot watch anything that he's in.
  • Options
    There's just something about Gervais that makes my fists itch. I can't stand the bloke and cannot watch anything that he's in.
    Not sure anything makes my fists itch.
  • Options
    that'll be the hairy palms
  • Options
    Do you mind?

I shave them regularly.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited November 2011

I'm not a Gervais fan, butI love this series.

The TV reporter with Tourettes was superb and how they all kept straight faces when Johnny Depp was laying into Gervais.

Then the Ewok/Bear suit at the end with the Wedding. Real comedy Car crash stuff.

• Options
    not warming to warwicks brent esque looks at camera and smarmy antics, for me the gold is when gervais and merchant are at the desks, its the high light. trying to warm towards it but not going to be a classic or one there remeberd for. will stick with it and see how it pans out, extras took a few eipisodes to win me over as the office was pure class i was comparing it all the time.

• Options
    I find the notion of this programme disturbing (I have not watched it admittedly). If the object of the humour/piss take were black, asian, downs syndrone, homosexual or any other 'protected species' there would be uproar. Is it just the fact that (to me) the totally unfunny, overrated, smug ugly bunny R Gervais is the show's star and writer that it is regarded as defo p c and acceptable ?
  • Options
    I can't wait for AFKAs cameo next week.
  • Options
    I think it's the opposite, when was the last time you saw a dwarf in the lead role of a programme, let alone a comedy one?  It is Warwick's on-screen character that is (part) of the subject of the humour, not the fact that he is a dwarf.  The show uses stereotypes and misconceptions around dwarfism as part of it's humour too.

I actually think the first two episodes have been very good, Tim Key was absolutely hilarious as the reporter at the Star Wars fair.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    pc? Gervais? get a grip.
  • Options
    I never understand the saying "lifes too short" - its the longest thing you will ever do!
    Fair comment, but it can still be too short to do the things that you want to do.

hic
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    If you find Gervais offensive, the joke is on you -that is part of his humour. When Johnny Depp was making Warwick dance, the joke was on his character. Some of the funniest lines are nothing to do with Warwick's size - very good stuff. Loved the Gervais insults too - why do people take an instant dislike to Ricky Gervais? It saves time- old but fresh in the way it was delivered- the joke about the Pirates of the Carribean 3 being a bit long -classic.

The Barry bit at the end (Quote for the office) was genius too. I think this could turn out to be my favourite. Extras was a slow burner but I now prefer it to the office. This you can see getting better and better too as the characters develop.
  • Options
    I really like Ricky Gervais. Like any comedian, some stuff will be hit and miss, but in general I think a lot of his stuff is pretty funny and often quite original. He does have a couple of jokes/expressions that have become something of a trademark I suppose (such as the exasperated response to something, often verbalised by the phrase "oh for fff.....") and I can see why some find his laugh irritating (or suspect it's fake), but to be fair, he seems aware of his image and plays to it quite expertly. He has a real talent for making a joke about himself before his critics get a chance to - taking much of the sting out of that criticism.

Also, his Golden Globe hosting performances are becoming the stuff of legend. He's confirmed he's hosting it again this year, by the way. There'll be some nervous stars in that audience!
  • Options
    It can't be denied, Ricky Gervais is one of the greatest comedy writers of all time
  • Options
    Totally agree with Muttley. If you find Life's too short offensive then the joke is on you . Gervais is a comic genius.

• Options
    It can't be denied, Ricky Gervais is one of the greatest comedy writers of all time
    Oh behave. How old are you exactly?
  • Options
    23 thank you
  • Options
    23 thank you
    So, not really qualified to judge whether he's "one of the greatest comedy writers of all time" then? (And neither am I at 39)

If you'd said "recent times" then that's fair enough. Thank you.
    ;o)
  • Options
    I guess the truly best comedy is the sort of stuff that will still be talked about in 20-30 years time. The Office will, in my opinion, still be talked about as one of the best comedies ever, considering it introduced a whole new spectrum and style of comedy. In the future, Gervais' work will far more likely go down a Fawlty Towers, Only Fools route than a Two Pints of Lager and a packet of crisps route.
    I guess though comedy, like all forms of entertainment, is all a matter of opinion!