Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players That Passed You By

Comments

• Options
    I've come up with what I call a proper one.

This chap played a lot of games (not just a few as a loanee) and for the life of me I cannot visualise him on the pitch as I can with the other players I've watched over nearly 50 years.

Mick Jones. He was a full back according to the handbook and started 58 league games!

Admittedly, as I played sport myself back then, I didn't go to every home match but I'd see all the evening matches as a minimum so must have been there when he played! 
  • Options

Scott Sinclair

Damnit. Stuck in this quote and can't tab out. Anyway, all I remember of Scott Sinclair was that he kept on showboating and was pretty crap. Now look at him!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    That's a great one Len I can't remember him either as I was playing Saturdays and only got to the odd midweek evening game during the 70's however he must have impressed someone because according to 'Valley of Tears Valley of Joy' he was there over 3 seasons from 71 to 73. I've subsequently had a look at Team photos for 71/72 and 72/73 on the net but can't see anyone there I don't recognise very strange! Googling his name hasn't helped so I asked the wife (ha ha) but still no joy!
  • Options
    Gary Rowett
  • Options
    Tuttle, murty and Kevin Scott are great shouts. I'll also give Scott houghton and antii niemi.
    I don't think Niemi ever played for us.  We were linked with him for YEARS, and in the end he signed for Southampton.

...right?
  • Options
    Tuttle, murty and Kevin Scott are great shouts. I'll also give Scott houghton and antii niemi.
    I don't think Niemi ever played for us.  We were linked with him for YEARS, and in the end he signed for Southampton.

...right?
    Niemi played a reserve game for us against Palace at the National Sports centre, played an absolute blinder, I got on the pitch to shake his hand at the end of the game, about 1999 I think.
  • Options
    Gary Poole
  • Options
    I remember when i used to sit in the west by the tunnel back in the premier league days quite a few of the players we gained for short periods as they used to warm up in front of us. defo remember a rather chunky john barnes in tight shorts warming up in front of us in yellow. not flattering. I make bruce forsyth right about the embarrassment. not because of the shirt, but the fact that he was a bloater by that point. 
  • Options

...right?
    Niemi played a reserve game for us against Palace at the National Sports centre, played an absolute blinder, I got on the pitch to shake his hand at the end of the game, about 1999 I think.
    Yeah, he actually signed on loan but never played.

John Vaughan not been mentioned, nor Dennis Bailey.
  • Options
    Rikki Otto
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Barnes ran the game at Upton Park when we won 1-0.

Loads of players in the last two years before this season have been a blur.

• Options

I suppose the ultimate was the keeper we signed on loan from Fulham last year on a Thursday, who didn't get picked on the saturday and was recalled on the monday.

Another classic was the Portugese centre half Pardew signed in the January window, He wanted to loan him out to Accrington and the league said "nope". I think he went in the summer, made Corey Gibbs look like Steve Gritt in the appearance stakes.  

• Options

We also signed a keeper on loan from West Brom, Luke Daniels.

• Options
    I've come up with what I call a proper one.

This chap played a lot of games (not just a few as a loanee) and for the life of me I cannot visualise him on the pitch as I can with the other players I've watched over nearly 50 years.

Mick Jones. He was a full back according to the handbook and started 58 league games!

Admittedly, as I played sport myself back then, I didn't go to every home match but I'd see all the evening matches as a minimum so must have been there when he played! 
    right back signed from orient i think used to hoof it up the line a lot played when curtis was injured or played in midfield played for us in div 3 with john dunn in goal

someone mention Mick Kearns in a quiz the other day ...HE was MY blindspot !
  • Options

I suppose the ultimate was the keeper we signed on loan from Fulham last year on a Thursday, who didn't get picked on the saturday and was recalled on the monday.

Another classic was the Portugese centre half Pardew signed in the January window, He wanted to loan him out to Accrington and the league said "nope". I think he went in the summer, made Corey Gibbs look like Steve Gritt in the appearance stakes.  

Neil Etheridge....proper filipino name!
  • Options
    leroy lita
  • Options
    luke holden
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Talal El Kalaj!!! Scored an OG for Southampton against us, then scored the correct end! 1-1 it ended. Think it was end 2001/02 season. We then signed him the next season!
  • Options

Robbie Mustoe

• Options
    I give you Brendan O'Connell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Monteiro?
  • Options
    Kenny Achampong - I thank you.
  • Options
    A lot of players pass a lot of Charlton fans by, this must be because of the massive changes every season we've been out the Premier League, Parky was big with changing the team around (or be it, big on replacing players who move on) and Powell has also put his stamp on Charlton (hopefully a more successful one, Parky wasn't too bad with the situation though) not to mention the useless loanees Pards dumped on our side (useless git) so we will forget about a lot of players unless we have massive long term memory or we devote out entire lives around Charlton football squad. 
  • Options
    Dorian smith, simon walton, wade small, the goalkeepers last season (im sure his name began with an e) butterfield, soares, theres some other faces floating in my head but I cant recall names or find reference to them anywhere
  • Options
    Luke Daniels the goalkeeper (is that his name?)
  • Options
    Wade Small and Graham Murty are the two from this thread that are mine. I went to Hereford in the Carling Cup so saw Small play, but he did nothing so don't remember him except he was small. Honestly can't remember Murty playing for us, I know it was the relegation season but can only think of games that season with Primus or McEveley at right-back.

• Options
    McEverley was a left back. Martin Crainey played a lot of that season at right back. we had greg halford for a bit as well, the season before i think. Grim memories!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    oops just seen a previous post . 
  • Options
    Jordan Rhodes.

Or do they have to be players that played for us?!

*BIG SMILEY FACE GRIN THING*
  • Options
    Dorian smith, simon walton, wade small, the goalkeepers last season (im sure his name began with an e) butterfield, soares, theres some other faces floating in my head but I cant recall names or find reference to them anywhere
    Neil Etheridge, had to look him up!

Darren Ward, completely forgot about him too, same as Crainey and Murty