Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A minutes silence please.

There will rightly be a recognition of todays desperately sad events at the game tomorrow. Please Charlton, lets not go down the minutes applause route and honour a man considered so very highly by his peers and fans of all clubs with the dignified period of quiet reflection he deserves.

I appreciate not everyone will agree but these minutes applause only started as a response to SOME supporters of lesser clubs & their inability to control their moronic behaviour. This isn't the case with us so please let's treat this with the appropriate dignity.

Comments

• Options
    I think we should sing about him during the game as well
  • Options
    I thought the minutes applause was first done for Alan Ball to celebrate what he had achieved in his career? I think we will have an applause for the same reason. E
  • Options
    A minute's applause would be more fitting in this case in my opinion
  • Options
    I think we should sing about him during the game as well
    going a bit far
  • Options
    agree a minutes silence,today most at swansea wanted the silence,few faces on camera showed disapointment in the applause ,time to reflect on him and others who have passed,its the proper way
  • Options
    when it asked to be silence it should be respected
  • Options
    I think at Liverpool they clapped then had a minute's silence.

I'm not sure but the applause at Swansea may have started to drown out some noise.
  • Options
    Applause seems so much better.
  • Options
    matter of view beds but if asked for silence and people clap instead i personally think thats disrespectful
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I prefer a minutes applause to celebrate the great mans life and achievements , but thats just my opinion.
    But of course if asked to be silent , then I would be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Silence is the traditional way to respect those who have gone.
    Applause works as well  in the modern arenas where disrespect can often be shown by those who don't care.
    Lets go for the silence and show that we are what we believe Charlton to be, a proper football club. Then applaud afterwards.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    matter of view beds but if asked for silence and people clap instead i personally think thats disrespectful
    I didn't suggest clapping during a minutes silence . I just suggested I prefer the clapping over a minutes silence .
  • Options
    I think at Liverpool they clapped then had a minute's silence.
    Really?!
  • Options
    Silence is the traditional way to respect those who have gone.
    Applause works as well  in the modern arenas where disrespect can often be shown by those who don't care.
    Lets go for the silence and show that we are what we believe Charlton to be, a proper football club. Then applaud afterwards.

I agree 100%  There are few things more powerful than having thousands of people standing in silence.  Applause is OK, but lets face it, a large crowd can make quite a noise accidentally, they can't be silent accidentally.  If the powers that be think that either Charlton fans or Huddersfield fans would be disrespectful, then go for applause.  Personally, I just can't imagine it being an issue.  Let us be silent.
  • Options
    I prefer the minutes applause but if its felt better to be the silence then fine

• Options
    A silence is more significant imo.
  • Options
    I prefer the minutes applause but if its felt better to be the silence then fine

Why is that though? As Stig says being part of a large crowd standing silently in quiet reflection can be very moving. Personally I always feel very uncomfortable clapping in those circumstances where in any other walk of life (or sport) silence would be appropriate.

We don't do it on 11th November because applauding is not an appropriate means of remberance IMO.
  • Options
    silence or applause it is all the same at the end of the day, recognition of his achievements and giving thanks for his life. Normally I clap whilst at the same time reflecting on why we are doing it.

I'd rather we clapped, especially when on TV, as I for one wouldn't trust some of the idiots who follow us these days to ruin it one way or another and at least the applause will drown such idiots out.
  • Options
    its not the same
  • Options
    I think applause with the whole crowd singing one Gary speed together would be most fitting. Terrorists attacks and other tragedys are best with a minute silence but applause is best for this in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2011

The opposite of this - prefer a silence, find it more fitting somehow, but obviously always just hope either is respected.

• Options
    No doubt I'll be seen as bad for this but he played for neither club, didn't play for England and was the foreign manager of a foreign country's national team - why is there a minutes silence before our game tomorrow?

His death is truly tragic and I can sympathise with his family as a result of very close family experience of suicide but lots and lots of ex footballers die in many different circumstances all the time.

• Options
    Maybe because our left back is Welsh, and it's out of respect for the loss of his national team manager?

(although I suspect the answer is more likely to be cos it's on Sky)
  • Options
    Or maybe just let people remember him how they want to remember him.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Think it might be asking too much to expect a minutes silence from all the Huddersfield fans as he was a legend for their rivals Leed utd. This is not a dig at them, as I'm sure the vast majority will show the utmost respect, but all clubs have the tosser element in their following (and that includes us).

For that reason, I'd imagine applause would be the better option.
  • Options
    when it asked to be silence it should be respected
    Agree
  • Options

gary played at the valley numerous times with various clubs so its only right we respect what the club chose to do silence or applause i will be there.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I think back some years when one of ours shouted out bollox at the top of his voice during a minutes silence at Sarfampton.

It was for their team bus coach driver who had been killed on the M3 driving a minibus a few days earlier.

Possibly the 'most' embarrassing moment in all my years supporting the club.

I therefore prefer a minutes applause because there are some real idiots around.

One other thing is that often folk who are still on their way into the ground may not know what's taking place and in all innocence shout out or sing etc as they come up the stairs or through the vomitaries.

• Options

I think back some years when one of ours shouted out bollox at the top of his voice during a minutes silence at Sarfampton.

It was for their team bus coach driver who had been killed on the M3 driving a minibus a few days earlier.

Possibly the 'most' embarrassing moment in all my years supporting the club.

I therefore prefer a minutes applause because there are some real idiots around.

One other thing is that often folk who are still on their way into the ground may not know what's taking place and in all innocence shout out or sing etc as they come up the stairs or through the vomitaries.

I particularly remember this happening midweek away to Liverpool in the Cup, when silence was for Bob Paisley I think.

I still think that silence is best - minutes applause at the Cenotaph anyone ?

• Options
    A minutes silence please. A minutes clapping is just a new fad brought in to drown out the w*****s who are too disrepectful to honour a minute's silence and in my mind is just appeasing them. I say don't give in to a few mindless idiots and lets do it properly.