Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A minutes silence please.

Comments

• Options
    A minutes silence please. A minutes clapping is just a new fad brought in to drown out the w*****s who are too disrepectful to honour a minute's silence and in my mind is just appeasing them. I say don't give in to a few mindless idiots and lets do it properly.
    100% agree
  • Options
    Not sayng we shouldn't pay respects to Gary Speed, but given we have a policy of not holding a specific minute's silence for our own former players, e.g. Bob Curtis, we are in a complete mess on this issue in my opinion.
  • Options

the problem i find with minutes silences is when some dingbat makes a noise the domino affect of people trying to shout them down spoils the whole thing

i know i'm capable of ignoring doughnuts and respecting a minutes silence , i just don't think that everyone else is

• Options
    Not sayng we shouldn't pay respects to Gary Speed, but given we have a policy of not holding a specific minute's silence for our own former players, e.g. Bob Curtis, we are in a complete mess on this issue in my opinion.
    I would've thought we'll be under some pressure from Sky to do something, I suspect it'll be a minutes applause
  • Options
    A pragmatic time for the policy to change maybe?  PR wise, we really can't have Sky broadcasting to its nation that 'Charlton doesn't care about Gary Speed'.
  • Options
    I think for someone like Gary Speed, applause would best suit the situation. Whatever happens, applause or silence, I'm sure people will respect it. 
  • Options
    My instinct was that there should not be a minutes silence / applause.

On the cold face of it, he had no connection to either club involved. We don't have these for our own ex players, or other players like Dale Roberts who also hung himself last November.

However, this one has definately carries the shock factor, and is further complicated by the cameras being there.

Tough one to call.
  • Options
    My instinct was that there should not be a minutes silence / applause.

On the cold face of it, he had no connection to either club involved. We don't have these for our own ex players, or other players like Dale Roberts who also hung himself last November.

However, this one has definately carries the shock factor, and is further complicated by the cameras being there.

Tough one to call.
    What if the lads wore black armbands? No silence but its still a mark of respect. 
  • Options

its a sad sign of the times when the reaction of ours & huddersfields supporters determins how his career and life is remembered.

If we clap then the club is shed in a good light and its a 'well observed minute'. If we stay silent and few mugs spoil it then rep of cafc is going to be harmed by this, especially on Sky tv.

Its a horrible thing to say i know, but why risk it?...applause imo.

• Options
    Football League should he making the.decision really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would want there to be a minutes silence. It just seems a lot more respectful IMO.
  • Options
    What happened at Swansea was spontaneous, and moving because of that.

As for the club, we have the annual day of remembrance at the first game of the season, so we do remember our own then.

• Options
    i think the fact were live on sky we will do somthing.
  • Options
    Why would anyone intentionally spoil it?
    Can't see any reason why they would, he's a much respected person and never made a point of upsetting people.
  • Options
    Can't see any reason why they would, he's a much respected person and never made a point of upsetting people.
    Because they can. Because they like the attention it will bring and the kudos from their mates.

And it will only be "banter" anyway.
  • Options

tom....bless you mate...you are of course perfectly correct in wondering why anyone would want to spoil such a moment.

However there have been plenty of examples (it only takes one low life) to disgrace themselves and the club.

And as I said earlier, it 'can' sometimes happen quite unintentionaly.

• Options
    are we refering to the lisbie group henners? im sure if they wrecked a minutes silence the rest of us would finally turn on them? or am i wrong.
  • Options

are we refering to the lisbie group henners? im sure if they wrecked a minutes silence the rest of us would finally turn on them? or am i wrong.
    You're wrong, because there's an element on here who think it's the highest form of blasphemy to criticise our own fans.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember when tragic news about Richard Murray's wife was announced. The away team, possibly Leeds gave a round of applause in respect. I always thought that was a really emotional moment and the applause went around the Valley. Afterwards it seemed to be more and more popular.
  • Options
    Applause confirmed:

A minute's applause will be held before tonight's game in memory of Gary Speed. Black armbands will be worn (MW) http://t.co/fGWf23vt #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    on the OS................a minutes applause before the game & players will wear black armbands.
  • Options
    Tom, I think it was Man City.

It was tied in with a tribute for Marc Vivien Foe
    and it was a well observed silence from both sets of supporters
  • Options
    Does anyone remember when tragic news about Richard Murray's wife was announced. The away team, possibly Leeds gave a round of applause in respect. I always thought that was a really emotional moment and the applause went around the Valley. Afterwards it seemed to be more and more popular.
    It was City, and it was at the same time at the Foe minutes slience 
  • Options
    Tom, I think it was Man City.

It was tied in with a tribute for Marc Vivien Foe
    and it was a well observed silence from both sets of supporters
    Cheers,
    I remember the silence. I was touched by the applause before it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Minutes applause tweeted by CAFC official
  • Options

I know applause has just been confirmed but whatever it was going to be, I think I'll be struggling to hold it together. Don't mind admitting it. Just can't believe it.

• Options

I'd happily respect a minutes silence and understand some peoples feelings that respect can only be shown by silence. But I think applause is the right decision on this occasion, and not because of the risk of some idiots.
    I have no doubt Gary was one of the good ones in football and I respect him and am saddened by what has happened. But the loss isn't personal to us and I feel that the applause shows a respect for his achievements and appreciation for what he's done for our sport, as well as the fact he seemed a decent bloke. Taking on personal sadness as a group is for others. 
  • Options
    I agree DR. I'd respect whichever was preferred, however I think applause is correct that we show appreciation for his achievements to football in a football stadium by way of applause.

• Options
    agree with DR and suzi
  • Options
    Thirded.