Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A minutes silence please.

13»

Comments

• Options
    applause for sportsmen and women who have entertained us over the years is a fitting tribute. save the silence for personal or more sombre refelctions on a loss of life or tragic events.
  • Options
    Is the way the article on the OS goes straight from the tribute to trying to sell tickets a bit wrong? Or am I being over sensitive?
  • Options
    applause for sportsmen and women who have entertained us over the years is a fitting tribute. save the silence for personal or more sombre refelctions on a loss of life or tragic events.
    It's not though is it? What it is, is a way to ensure that some numpty doesn't get their kicks by spoiling a more fitting and traditional tribute. That may be reason enough in itself of course but it's a sad indictment on our society that firstly we havr these people among us but also that we'd rather avoid the issue than do something about them.
  • Options

A GB national manager and a more than decent footballer whom we would have all been used to seeing at The Valley for our stints. A genuine football man and a shocking death. He never played for us but should not stop us showing some sort of respect.

Silence or applause doesn't bother me although for a sportsman a round of applause feels better as a whole stadium applauding their achievements is something they would have loved to have heard.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I think an announcement is needed first for an minute's applause (acheivements etc) which should be followed by a minute's silence.  
  • Options
    I would have preferred a minute's silence but with Sky cameras present, the platform of a slient valley being watched by millions would have tempted a few idiots to make themselves heard. You only have to watch golf on TV to hear the morons screaming "Get in the hole!" each time a ball is hit to know what to expect. If the cameras weren't going to be there I think the silence would probably have been considered instead.
  • Options

Applause to mark an achievement and silence for a loss or tragedy. Its a hard one to call.

Personally I would be more inclined that applause for Gary Speed would be more fitting

• Options
    Think the Club's got it right .
  • Options
    I would love a minutes silence, but if clapping is what we've got to do to not drag the name of the club through the mud live on tele, then so be it, as long as I can be silent without some muppet having a go because I'm not clapping.
  • Options
    Silence is much more dignified way to give tribute to those recently departed.

Any of you out there ever felt like clapping when you Mum or Dad or  Grandad or Nan or favourite Aunt or Uncle died. Of course not you stood their silent and thought your own special thoughts.

RIP Gary Speed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on from the club.
  • Options
    Done well !