Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just How Bad Are Things Going To Get ?

Comments

• Options
    All relative Lincs.  With a massive drop in income we're still richer than almost any other time in history apart from the 80's & 90's.  It isn't where you are it's the perception of what you've lost, and whether you can cope with the changes.  I think what Leroy might be getting at, is whilst we may survive what happens to Russia and China where many millions live in food & fuel poverty already. 
  • Options
    sorry Lincs but rioting won't help solve anything, whatever the issue.
    Tell that to the Egyptians, Libyans and 1917 model Russians. I'm not advocating bloodshed and murder but things are NOT going to improve under our system whereby every 4 or 5 years we are allowed to put a cross on  a piece of paper stating that we are in favour of someone we probably don't know and will never meet, representing us in the so called parliament. More locval democracy is needed and not policies always aimed at preserving bankers, monopoly players and theiving scumbags who write 'laws' aimed soley at self preservation
  • Options
    All relative Lincs.  With a massive drop in income we're still richer than almost any other time in history apart from the 80's & 90's.  It isn't where you are it's the perception of what you've lost, and whether you can cope with the changes.  I think what Leroy might be getting at, is whilst we may survive what happens to Russia and China where many millions live in food & fuel poverty already. 
    This makes a LOT of sense
  • Options
    What is meant by 'failure' of the Eurozone?  If it's that the Euro will be abandoned - no way!  If it means we're in for recession, then yes. But it will be global anyway.
    Let's not forget however, that experts are rarely any good with forecasts.  The only thing we can forecast today is that the next generation will struggle more than we have, 
    and that CAFC will play in the Championship next season.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm up shit creek myself.

3 years ago I had a company that I might have been able to get £250,000 to £300,000 for from the right buyer.

My plan was to work until I'm 67....three years time....sell and work for 3 years as a consultant with the company until I'm 70.

I have no private pension because all my profits I ploughed back into the company. Selling the company was to be my retirement pot.

I'd be lucky to get £100,000 for the company now (that's if I could find a buyer) and I still have 3 years to pay on my mortgage.

Sales are down around 50% this year.

I am in the giftware industry and non essential items are taking a huge hit!

It's all unravelling before my eyes and I'm not looking forward to 2012 one little bit!

Looking like I'll have to downsize the business (keeping only key accounts) and work from home somehow.

Don't want to go down the road of downsizing my home just to live off the proceeds for the next 20 odd years but simply may have no choice.

• Options

3 years ago I had a company that I might have been able to get £250,000 to £300,000 for from the right buyer.

My plan was to work until I'm 67....three years time....sell and work for 3 years as a consultant with the company until I'm 70.

I have no private pension because all my profits I ploughed back into the company. Selling the company was to be my retirement pot.

I'd be lucky to get £100,000 for the company now (that's if I could find a buyer) and I still have 3 years to pay on my mortgage.

It's all unravelling before my eyes and I'm not looking forward to 2012 one little bit!

Looking like I'll have to downsize the business (keeping only key accounts) and work from home somehow.

Don't want to go down the road of downsizing my home just to live off the proceeds for the next 20 odd years but simply may have no choice.

I'll buy your number plate off you!
  • Options
    Tell that to the Egyptians, Libyans and 1917 model Russians. I'm not advocating bloodshed and murder but things are NOT going to improve under our system whereby every 4 or 5 years we are allowed to put a cross on  a piece of paper stating that we are in favour of someone we probably don't know and will never meet, representing us in the so called parliament. More locval democracy is needed and not policies always aimed at preserving bankers, monopoly players and theiving scumbags who write 'laws' aimed soley at self preservation
    If you don't know and have not met your MP that's your fault. I've met mine and am in communication with him whenever I feel there is an issue which needs addressing. It doesn't matter that I didn't vote for him - he still represents me in parliament.
  • Options

Ha ha........yes I can understand that.....are you talking about the Charlton one or my company one?
  • Options

Ha ha........yes I can understand that.....are you talking about the Charlton one or my company one?
    Charlton
  • Options
    If you don't know and have not met your MP that's your fault. I've met mine and am in communication with him whenever I feel there is an issue which needs addressing. It doesn't matter that I didn't vote for him - he still represents me in parliament.

I think Lincs' underlying point is right.

People are more interested in voting as to whether Emily Scott has bigger tits than Jessica whoeversheis rather than voting for their elected representatives and, more importantly possibly, actively questioning them and holding them to account once elected.

That's why we have the shower of sh** we do in the House of Commons.

In some areas you could stick a blue rosette on a pig in others a red one and people would vote for it!

There is an argument that we get what we deserve for our political apathy.

The battlefield is no longer employers v workers or working class v middle class but political class v everone else.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm just saying that if you make the effort you can get in touch with your MP or even meet them, especially around election time ;-)

Having said that Len, I think your points are very valid.

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'll tell you the story behind it Dave.

About 3 years ago I phoned up the DVLA to find out what Charlton related number plates were available and this one came up as one they had available.

They told me they would put it into one of their quarterly auctions and let me know when it was to be sold.

Months went by and nothing...I thought shyte they've forgotten to tell me and it's been sold...but no, they just hadn't got round to doing it.

So they said they'd do it again soon.....same thing again, months went by......so I called them yet again at the beginning of this year and they promised faithfully it would go into an auction sometime this year.

They did contact me and told me it would be at the next auction at The Warwick Heritage Motoring Museum.....a few months back.

I went and no one else made a bid, so luckily I got it for the reserve DVLA price......still not cheap but I'm hoping a super rich director (maybe when we're back in The Prem), will snap it up some day.

• Options

I'll tell you the story behind it Dave.

About 3 years ago I phoned up the DVLA to find out what Charlton related number plates were available and this one came up as one they had available.

They told me they would put it into one of their quarterly auctions and let me know when it was to be sold.

Months went by and nothing...I thought shyte they've forgotten to tell me and it's been sold...but no, they just hadn't got round to doing it.

So they said they'd do it again soon.....same thing again, months went by......so I called them yet again at the beginning of this year and they promised faithfully it would go into an auction sometime this year.

They did contact me and told me it would be at the next auction at The Warwick Heritage Motoring Museum.....a few months back.

I went and no one else made a bid, so luckily I got it for the reserve DVLA price......still not cheap but I'm hoping a super rich director (maybe when we're back in The Prem), will snap it up some day.

Nice, it looked good when you wnet past me on the A2 a few weeks ago at a fair rate of knots!!
  • Options
    So what is it? C4 FC1?
  • Options
    CHIRP 1
  • Options
    Enjoying the thread with some very good comments and sorry to add more gloom to the existing misery but this has been on the cards since 2005 and the impact hasn't even started yet.

Europe is finished except as a shopping mall and theme park for rich Asians. Welcome to the "Great Mall of China". 

Greece has been bankrupt for at least 5 months and all the politicians can do is have more meetings and press conferences and hope it will all go way. It won't. Its over and everyone knows it.

Wealth and economic growth is produced by entrepreneurs not bankers, privatised utilities, local government thinking they are businesses, quangos and bureaucrats. All those with the get up and go In Europe have already got up and left. Years ago.

Strike if it makes you feel better but the game is over so a national collective moan fest is not going to change anything. 

While we all play the same stuck record of  "Tory ideological dogma" versus "Labour tax and spend" we all miss the point which suits the professional politicians perfectly who are voted for and paid for by us only to do the to do the bidding of the vested interests who finance them.

More people are members of the AA and BA Executive Club than all three main political parties combined. None of them can have any influence on the global economy presided over by "the markets" and  if they did no-one would put people so inept and stupid in charge in the first place.

When all the new pound notes printed since 2008 cause big inflation (which means higher interest rates). and the middle classes can't pay their mortgages, the brown stuff will really hit the fan. So enjoy the next two years while you can or get out of Europe now.

This is economic Armageddon baby coming to a town near you..

• Options
    Would it possible for each country in the world just press a reset button and by that I mean look at the finances of each country say 4 years ago and do a system restore? At the end of the day its all about numbers and printing notes. I do have this niggling feeling though that this would be nigh impossible. 
  • Options
    @Leroy

Not bothered to quote but regarding your theory that a global conflict is enevitable II still cannot believe it could happen. For a start would a global conflict mean hundreds and thousands of mobilised troops fighting on the battlefields of Europe as in WW1 and WW2 ? Not likely IMHO. Standing armies are for the most part small and once again I just cannot see the young men of this or any other western country responding to the "your country needs you" call. It just wouldn't happen. More likely that if things reach such a bad state we would return to the years of isolationism and the formation of two or more power blocks entangled in a cold war. That's possible but I seriously doubt conflict on a global scale is.
  • Options
    Would it possible for each country in the world just press a reset button and by that I mean look at the finances of each country say 4 years ago and do a system restore? At the end of the day its all about numbers and printing notes. I do have this niggling feeling though that this would be nigh impossible. 
    Anything is possible. We as humans have the power of complete control over the monetary system that we invented. We can manipulate it in any way we chose. It will take a global coordinated effort and we may have seen the first move yesterday. Governments throughout the world are doing their best to distribute all the losses amongst the masses whilst protecting themselves and their super rich benefactors. They will be successful for only so long before people realise they are being shafted and will fight back. As for quantative easing causing hyperinflation, conventional economic theory suggests that it should, however after 2 rounds of QE in the US, inflation there is still benign. A lot of economic theory has gone out of the window this past few years! I believe that huge fortunes will eventually be made as a result of all this current turmoil. The major threat to the world is not economic, it's population growth and de-forestation, but no one seems to be bothered about that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Irish budget next week, gonna be utterly horrific.Vat to go up 2% from 21% to 23%, Petrol etc prices gonna go up about 5cent a litre, uni fees to go up around a €1,000. Fun fun fun
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Somebody has got to pay.

And the politicians will make damned sure it's us - and not them.
  • Options
    Somebody has got to pay.

Politicians are human too.
  • Options
    Somebody has got to pay.

Politicians are human too.
    That's just a vicious rumour!
  • Options
    You might want to go back to the Egyptians you hail and ask them exactly how well its all working out for them. I think you'll find its not quite the rosy utopia they were hoping for.
  • Options
    @Leroy

Not bothered to quote but regarding your theory that a global conflict is enevitable II still cannot believe it could happen. For a start would a global conflict mean hundreds and thousands of mobilised troops fighting on the battlefields of Europe as in WW1 and WW2 ? Not likely IMHO. Standing armies are for the most part small and once again I just cannot see the young men of this or any other western country responding to the "your country needs you" call. It just wouldn't happen. More likely that if things reach such a bad state we would return to the years of isolationism and the formation of two or more power blocks entangled in a cold war. That's possible but I seriously doubt conflict on a global scale is.
    The problem is, you're making the mistake of looking at it from the perspective of previous wars. That's not possible because the inter-connectedness of society now renders all comparisons with past conflicts redundant - they were nation-states warring with each other over land, power and resources, rather than fundamental ideological differences. if you sit down and think about it, the whole of the last thirty years has been a house of cards, built with lies, waiting to collapse. Our economic expansionary model is unsustainable, as it relies on an ever-increasing supply of ever-cheaper consumer goods that can only be sustained by finding another population of slaves who are willing/forced to make them at a wage that makes their living standards absolutely dire. At some point, people won't put up with that (the dichotomy of the globalisation paradigm is that - whilst it brings to life the possibility of being able to make trainers for £1 and sell them abroad for £100, it also makes the poor saps churning them out aware that they are being f***ed over.

What we're seeing now (and have been for the past few years) is the super-rich circling the wagons, using the middle-class to do their bidding by using the opiate of comparitive comforts over the working-class. Getting people who have almost nothing to fuck over people who have literally nothing, all the while they siphon off all the real wealth and leave the society that made it possible for them to do this in the first place with absolutely nothing. The endgame for all this is the super-rich living in gated enclaves/on private islands, with their own security forces. This return to a form of modern-day feudalism will be the final nail in the coffin and result in a massive uprising. Eventually, some nutnut somewhere will start exploding nuclear weapons (either for religious, ideological or egomaniacal reasons). Game over.

I know a lot of you will think these are the ramblings of a nutcase, but bear in mind this is coming from someone who has laughed out loud at the lunacy of fake moon landing/9-11 inside job/JFK assassination theories.
  • Options

Don't pretend to know anything about this subject as I just plod on & hope for the best but feck me, I am worried.

Nearly emigrated a couple of years back to the US. I know they've got their problems but still wish I'd gone.

• Options
    You might want to go back to the Egyptians you hail and ask them exactly how well its all working out for them. I think you'll find its not quite the rosy utopia they were hoping for.
    They've wasted all their money on pyramid schemes
  • Options
    @Leroy

I think its a bit unfair to state that young men would not respond to the call that they are needed. But I agree conflict is not the same as in WWI WWII. Poeple have to fear for their own families and their own safety in order to respond to such a call. In WWI&II it was to ultimately protect their homes from the Nazis, not just to save poeple in a far off land from a far off threat. This is why peopel don't rise today, it is not threatening their personal safety.

The only way I could see a similar thing happening today is alien invasion (no seriously). Any other threat to our nation's safety would be known about so far in advance that it would be fought in the diplomatic arenas and not on the ground. Only something which is not beholden to these conventions would be able to ignore them in today's global socitey - hense alien invasion. I think if we were seriously threatened people who stand and fight just like in the 'good 'ole days'.

• Options
    This return to a form of modern-day feudalism will be the final nail in the coffin and result in a massive uprising. Eventually, some nutnut somewhere will start exploding nuclear weapons (either for religious, ideological or egomaniacal reasons). Game over.
    I just hope we win promotion before this happens.
  • Options
    This return to a form of modern-day feudalism will be the final nail in the coffin and result in a massive uprising. Eventually, some nutnut somewhere will start exploding nuclear weapons (either for religious, ideological or egomaniacal reasons). Game over.
    I just hope we win promotion before this happens.
    We'll win promotion this year - and my prediction of armageddon has at least twenty more years before coming to fruition :)