Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THIS IS ENGLAND 88

13»

Comments

• Options
    Found it really boring. Poor acting and depressing!
  • Options
    Loved it, real marmite tv. When he thought lol was dead because the bed was made was funny and sad at the same time, will say again the guy who plays woody is amazing.
  • Options
    depressing drivel
  • Options
    depressing drivel
    You try living in Yorkshire in the Thatcher era and being all happy.................................

I enjoyed it. Very moving in places. Some of the acting isn't the greatest (shauns mum stands out as the worst for me) but didn't let that spoil it. All topped off with a great track from Fion Regan at the end.

Can't wait for 90..................
  • Options
    If it wasn't for Woody it would be dreadfull, Shaun's become a really poor actor, which probably explains why his role was so limited
  • Options

First 2 episodes weren't great, but last night's was very good.

Superb acting by Woody, really moved me.

• Options
    Superb acting, apart from Sean he's shocking
  • Options
    he was never an actor anyway and i think its starting to show now, looks like les battersby lovechild..
  • Options
    He made the wrong choice upsetting the posh tart for smell. needs to learn onwards and upwards
  • Options
    I thought it was great

Life is all about opinions, so anyone who didn't like it just has the wrong opinion :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Second episode was slow but led you into the third very well. It appeared to be one film cut in to three episodes. I enjoyed the series and giggled at the gang speeding at the play. Memories......
  • Options
    the first two episodes were a bit slow but it came together brilliantly in the third. the hospital scene with lol had me gripping the sofa, reminded me of requiem for a dream the way it was edited. very disturbing.

i don't understand the criticism it's depressing coming after the events of 86. what did people expect? it's great looking at the threads an' all that, but meadows has taken it much further than that now and made an excellent bit of kitchen sink drama. shocking stuff but so is real life sometimes.
  • Options
    depressing drivel
    You try living in Yorkshire in the Thatcher era and being all happy.................................

I enjoyed it. Very moving in places. Some of the acting isn't the greatest (shauns mum stands out as the worst for me) but didn't let that spoil it. All topped off with a great track from Fion Regan at the end.

Can't wait for 90..................
    it's set in Nottingham

yes it was very hardcore but some great acting once again from Vicky McClure (Lol) and Joe Gilgun (Woody)

Shane Meadows films have a great way of reflecting real life which can be hilarious one minute and horribly sad the next.

I get a feeling that the rumored this is england 90 will be a bit more on the fun side 
  • Options
    Personally, I think it's a superbly made piece of television. There are some fine actors in it (Stephen Graham, Joe Gilgun, Rosamund Hanson and Vicky McClure for starters). The scene this week when Lol (Vicky) visits Combo (Stephen Graham) in prison was absolutely brilliant. Graham didn't need to say a word, the look in his eyes said it all. Appreciate we all didn't look them them or live in a commune in 88, as they appear to do, but it's television and Shane Meadows is concentrating it all for effect. There are towns and communities (especially in the North) that are just like this, even today!
  • Options
    I thought it was excellent. I watched all three of them last night. Looking forward to '90 now
  • Options
    The scene between the nurse and Lol in episode two was some of the best acting i have seen on television.Truly moving.What is wrong with it being depressing,it is an accurate portrayal of Northern working class life in the mid 80s.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying it just about to watch the third one.

But how come lol keeps seeing that strange ghost. Ive tried googling it but cant seem to find an answer. ?

But other than that i think it's great and definetly worth watching.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

But how come lol keeps seeing that strange ghost. Ive tried googling it but cant seem to find an answer. ?

Lol killed her father in the last episode, because he abused her & her sister when they were kids. He had then raped one of the gang in the last series. Combo took the blame because he loved her. The "ghost" is her father haunting her. Probably, it's in her imagination, because she is so "messed up" .
  • Options

Lol killed her father in the last episode, because he abused her & her sister when they were kids. He had then raped one of the gang in the last series. Combo took the blame because he loved her. The "ghost" is her father haunting her. Probably, it's in her imagination, because she is so "messed up" .
    Cheers mate .. Well explained makes much more sense now.
  • Options
    Well I've come into this series all arse about face! Never saw the film but have just watched '86 as it's on my BT Vision libary. I really enjoyed it.
    My son has the film on DVD so I'll have to watch that soon. Then try and find '88 before 90 comes out.

Any idea when This is England '90 is due to be shown?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon Septemberish time for This is England 90.