Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crumpets

Comments

• Options

Love a nice bit of crumpet!!!!

• Options
    Plenty of butter and that's enough
  • Options
    I normally only have them with butter. Going to have to try them with peanut butter and vegimite, maybe together.
  • Options
    Butter. Full fat, unsalted. Toast them to the point the top is crunchy, but the rest is still soft, then spread the butter liberally and put them in the microwave for 15 seconds. Omnomnomnom.

My wife absolutely hates them - the look of them, the smell of them, everything about them makes her retch. Which makes the fact I bought two packets of them yesterday even more ov a WIN for me :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This thread reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JicjC2GXKzE

(Particularly the bit at about 2:20)

• Options
    I am quite particular about my crumpets. Have to be toasted twice on a very high setting so they are hard on top (think it because i used to toast them in front of a proper fire), then either butter or jam or peanut butter or cheese. Anything that goes down the holes. I have a pack in the freezer going to have to get them out and have some this afternoon

• Options
    Just had three crumpets for breakfast. boootiful
  • Options

Aaaah ! The memories....

Around the age of 7,used to walk to the library in Dartford with dear, departed Dad every Saturday afternoon , returning with 8 books between us - mine either "The Bobbsey Twins" or a Famous Five type . ( This was before a lovely uncle started my interest in live football at Dartford FC)

Winter was best, with a roaring fire in the grate , curtains drawn against the dark & cold and the foootball results about to come through on the wireless. Mum & Dad did the pools every week and it was my job to take down the scores and see whether they'd become millionaires ....Then, it was tea time and often that meant hot buttered crumpets.

Toasting fork at the ready , we'd take turns to roast ourselves in front of the fire whilst performing the rite of "cooking" the crumpets. As each one was buttered and savoured, the next person took their place and so on and so on. Of course, there was an art to ensuring the crumpet was well toasted but not burnt and inevitably, the cry of " Just another minute" was halted by the whiff of black smoke emanating from said delicacy ....then much scraping over the kitchen sink was required to render the crumpet edible. Nevertheless, scorched or not, crumpets were an integral part of my family life in the 50's and will always remind me of those  happy, carefree days.

• Options
    Raspberry jam, and then strong cheddar cheese melted on top. Don't knock it 'til you tried it...
  • Options
    Peanut butter, strawberry jam and currants/raisons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fanny, are you the lady that lives across the road from my uncle John & auntie Val?
  • Options

Has to be the cheaper ones, almost burnt, the first butter only, the second with raspberry jam. No one has the same crumpet fetish yet!

Posh crumpets are too doughy for me.

• Options
    Come on you lot, it has to be cheddar cheese !

agree with that
  • Options
    Raspberry jam, and then strong cheddar cheese melted on top. Don't knock it 'til you tried it...

mmm not sure about that, but might give it a go as you normally have good taste ;-)
  • Options
    adsads
    edited December 2011
    went to an ethiopian restaurant once, and instead of rice or bread with the curries, they served what seemed like gigantic flat crumpets with everything, give it a go creepy?
  • Options
    went to an ethiopian restaurant once, and instead of rice or bread with the curries, they served what seemed like gigantic flat crumpets with everything, give it a go creepy?
    An Ethiopian restaurant? Not entirely sure why but that just sounds plain weird to me!
  • Options
    An Ethiopian restaurant? Not entirely sure why but that just sounds plain weird to me!
    it was really odd, especially when they brought out the gigantic crumpets
  • Options

Aaaah ! The memories....

Around the age of 7,used to walk to the library in Dartford with dear, departed Dad every Saturday afternoon , returning with 8 books between us - mine either "The Bobbsey Twins" or a Famous Five type . ( This was before a lovely uncle started my interest in live football at Dartford FC)

Winter was best, with a roaring fire in the grate , curtains drawn against the dark & cold and the foootball results about to come through on the wireless. Mum & Dad did the pools every week and it was my job to take down the scores and see whether they'd become millionaires ....Then, it was tea time and often that meant hot buttered crumpets.

Toasting fork at the ready , we'd take turns to roast ourselves in front of the fire whilst performing the rite of "cooking" the crumpets. As each one was buttered and savoured, the next person took their place and so on and so on. Of course, there was an art to ensuring the crumpet was well toasted but not burnt and inevitably, the cry of " Just another minute" was halted by the whiff of black smoke emanating from said delicacy ....then much scraping over the kitchen sink was required to render the crumpet edible. Nevertheless, scorched or not, crumpets were an integral part of my family life in the 50's and will always remind me of those  happy, carefree days.

I love that post FF, lovely
  • Options
    Worburtons make the best ones, toasted so the top is crispy with plenty of yeo valley organic butter, can't get enough of them.
  • Options

Aaaah ! The memories....

I love that post FF, lovely

Aw, thanks, AFKA.

Speilberg's currently negotiating for the rights to film " Fanny's Memoirs - Life before Charlton " !

• Sponsored links:

• Options

...or maybe that should be " Fanny's crumpet " ?

Have a GREAT Christmas with those lovely boys ( and of course, Mrs AFKA !)

• Options
    Fanny, are you the lady that lives across the road from my uncle John & auntie Val?
    John sometimes travels with you to games if I've got the right person!
  • Options
    John sometimes travels with you to games if I've got the right person!

I live 2 doors from a John & Val in Dartford but have only travelled to The Valley once with John. Sometimes walk away from the East Stand with him on the way to our cars.

Have we met ????

• Options
    No I dont believe so, but he often mentions you and your family
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh FF, it brings back the memories. Living as I did on the edge of the North Downs - we tended to get more and prolonged snow if it was cold.

My mates would congregate at our place - toboggans at the ready (or plastic sheets, or basically anything that would slide). Dad, little sister et al would set off. wrapped up like Nanook Of The North, to a proximate slope for hours of blissful, simple fun. Then home to a roaring fire. Mum would always have a supply of crumpets or crumpet substitute (bread for toasting). Out would come the two prized toasting forks. Soon the room was filled with that heady mixture of smells of scorched bread and melted butter,and the noises of earnest discourse of football or some issue of political importance. They were great, magical days.......wipes away a tear.

• Options
    just had two crumpets , both with cheese and marmite and a generous helping of lurpak all washed down with a mug of splosh , 'andsome
  • Options
    Always gone for just butter on crumpets and never tried the Marmite, in fact derided girlfriend for the habit, but after all the positive reviews on here...Il give it a go.
  • Options
    If you like Peanut Butter, try that with butter - its the nectar of the gods!
  • Options

Peanut butter is a good option but butter + Frank Cooper's Vintage Oxford Marmelade is the Daddy of all Crumpet toppings.

This thread has got me wanting a Crumpet so bad I've making my Wife bring me over a pack when she flies out to Canada on Christmas Day.

• Options
    Bought some today...:-)