Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crumpets

13»

Comments

• Options
    Crumpets toasted; then some slices of Extra Strong cheddar placed lovingly on top; microwaved for 20 seconds; HP (original) sauce mixed in; BINGO! 
  • Options
    On Christmas Eve I had crumpets, with soft cheese (phillidelphia) topped with smoked Salmon and black pepper freshly milled! Have to say was slightly sceptical before I tucked in but I have to say it was quite the dogs danglies! I had made 4 two each for me and the Doris, she only eat one! Washed down with mug of strong Yorkshire Tea with no sugar!

Wallop
  • Options
    I'm with those who prefer pikelets.  But where can you buy them around here?
  • Options
    never had cheese on crumpets may have to try it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    never had cheese on crumpets may have to try it.
    Dairylea or melted cheddar with butter - marvellous
  • Options
    Amazed that no-one has mentioned pate yet. Mmmmmmm!
  • Options

Aaaah ! The memories....

Around the age of 7,used to walk to the library in Dartford with dear, departed Dad every Saturday afternoon , returning with 8 books between us - mine either "The Bobbsey Twins" or a Famous Five type . ( This was before a lovely uncle started my interest in live football at Dartford FC)

Winter was best, with a roaring fire in the grate , curtains drawn against the dark & cold and the foootball results about to come through on the wireless. Mum & Dad did the pools every week and it was my job to take down the scores and see whether they'd become millionaires ....Then, it was tea time and often that meant hot buttered crumpets.

Toasting fork at the ready , we'd take turns to roast ourselves in front of the fire whilst performing the rite of "cooking" the crumpets. As each one was buttered and savoured, the next person took their place and so on and so on. Of course, there was an art to ensuring the crumpet was well toasted but not burnt and inevitably, the cry of " Just another minute" was halted by the whiff of black smoke emanating from said delicacy ....then much scraping over the kitchen sink was required to render the crumpet edible. Nevertheless, scorched or not, crumpets were an integral part of my family life in the 50's and will always remind me of those  happy, carefree days.

Wonderful memories, Crumpets or doorstep slices of bread toasted in front of a coal or log fire coated in proper butter (not the rubbish we have these days) and home made Jam or Marmalade. Bliss

Don't forget the roasted Chestnuts.

I'm going my mouth is watering already

• Options
    Can't get proper crumpets over here in Calif. There is something called 'English Muffins' but they're just not the same.
  • Options
    Crumpets are lovely - I like them with crunchy Peanut Butter.
  • Options
    Since this thread I have bought 2 packs. Will there be a crumpet shortage in SE London
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just come back with 2 six packs of Warburtons for £1.20.

Now where's the peanut butter.............

• Options

Just come back with 2 six packs of Warburtons for £1.20.

Now where's the peanut butter.............

scoff em in one sitting, i dare ya