Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player of the Year so far...

Comments

• Options

Morrison, Hollands, Wiggins, Yann

• Options
    It so is good to have so many genuine contenders at this stage - mine are Solly, Taylor, Morrison, Wiggins, Hollands, Kermogant, BWP and with only half the season played, I'm sure Green will join that lot and possibly Hamer, JJ and Stevens too. If I had to vote now it would be between BWP, Wiggins and Morrison, with Morrison just shading it. Happy days!
  • Options
    Danny Hollands.

Outstanding as the holding player when Stephens was in the side, he effortlessly switched to a more attacking role when Hughes/Russell came in. Whatever he's been asked to do, he's done it with ease.

He'd get my vote, but plenty of others have strong cases, too.

couldn't have put it better myself, Hollands is a top top player
  • Options
    This thread set me thinking - so many worthy contenders for PoTY, but who of the regular players is the weakest link? Seriously I can't think of one player who has played more than a few games who has been a disappointment.
  • Options
    This comment is probably a little unfair because of his injury and perhaps he didn't really get completely in his stride before that but I was a little disappointed with Dale Stephens form just before he got injured because early on I thought he looked real class. Really hope he is back in contention soon because at league one I think he is quality.
  • Options
    This thread set me thinking - so many worthy contenders for PoTY, but who of the regular players is the weakest link? Seriously I can't think of one player who has played more than a few games who has been a disappointment.

Thats why we're top of the league  ;-)
  • Options
    This comment is probably a little unfair because of his injury and perhaps he didn't really get completely in his stride before that but I was a little disappointed with Dale Stephens form just before he got injured because early on I thought he looked real class. Really hope he is back in contention soon because at league one I think he is quality.

His form dipped slightly when he was carrying the injury
  • Options

On the subject of POTY, watch out for news on the OS in January regarding the event confirmed by SCP as taking place on Sunday 6th May.

The early birds booking their tickets will have first choice of sitting with their favourite player at the meal.

No guarantee that you will win a place at the Kits Sponsors' dinner but a couple of tables full of Lifers would be great. And with BDL & co transmitting that evening's programme from the very lounge we'll be in there's every chance you'll be asked to say a few words for the listening millions.....

You've been warned !

• Options
    Solly - it has to be about passion as well as performance for me.
  • Options

Please don't shoot the messenger, and sorry if this has been discussed on here (haven't had time to search for it), but apparently we're looking at a new right back, not sure if they feel Solly might be too small for the championship (if we go up of course).

Just something I heard through the grapevine.

Don't flame me for sharing..........

Personally I think he's been very consistent, as have all the back 4 so it was a suprise to hear it being talked about. I think they work really well as a group.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If one of all the players mentioned got injured. Either Hollands or Morrison would be most missed.

Matt Taylor also rarely gets a mention and hasn't done much wrong.

Hollands so far for me.
  • Options
    Out of the usual starting 11 I'd say Hamer isn't a contender for POTY, but then we've defended so well so he's not been under much pressure.

Green's not a contender for me either. Feel he's disappointed at times but there's more to come from him.

That leaves one spot in the team, Hollands partner in CM. Agree with SHG Stephens wasn't at his best before his injury. Hughes does a job but isn't for the long term. Russell hasn't done enough to secure his place, maybe not the type of player alongside Hollands.

Back four, Hollands, Jackson, BWP and Kermorgant are all contenders. Think statbank backs that up with them being the top 8, and there's not much between them.
  • Options

Please don't shoot the messenger, and sorry if this has been discussed on here (haven't had time to search for it), but apparently we're looking at a new right back, not sure if they feel Solly might be too small for the championship (if we go up of course).

Personally I think he's been very consistent, as have all the back 4 so it was a suprise to hear it being talked about. I think they work really well as a group.

We definitely need cover at RB and defence, there's only Cort and Doherty as CB cover and Evina to cover at LB. As for the issue over Solly's height, if you are good enough, you are tall enough.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Handbook say Solly and Wiggins are both 5 ft 8 and Evina is 5 ft 7. Never heard any mention of Evina or Wiggins lack of height for some reason.

We had Parnaby on trial didn't we? Think he's had injury problems, if he signed he'd be fighting for a place, not automatic first choice. I'd guess we'd probably looking for someone similar as Solly deserves his place.

Perhaps we'll see someone that can play right or centre back come in. Doherty will be gone if anyone wants him and I can't see Mambo getting a chance in our position.
  • Options
    Neither Taylor nor Morrison seem to be injury prone so 2 CB reserves with the added option of Mambo seems more than adequate to me.
  • Options

We definitely need cover at RB and defence, there's only Cort and Doherty as CB cover and Evina to cover at LB. As for the issue over Solly's height, if you are good enough, you are tall enough.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm in complete and utter agreement with you. I was surprised and a bit disappointed that a guy who has been so consistent could potentially be replaced because of physicality if we go up.

Hope it's not the case and hope Solly keeps performing, which I'm sure he will.

As to answer the question, tough one for me. Probably Wiggins has been the most consistent, so I'll go for him but it could be one from 7 or 8, which goes to show how well the team has performed.

2012, one aim.

• Options
    Solly
    We haven't lost in the league this season when he has played
  • Options
    Solly
    To be fair, we've only lost in the league when I had to go for a swim in the bogs at halftime.
  • Options
    bump,

with all the platitudes (well deserved) for Kermo, I personally think that the POTY award is for someone who has improved so dramatically and holds their own with the stars within the team like Kermo, JJ and so on?

For me there's no other deserving player than the terrier, Solly...

• Options
    Leon Clarke
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solly.

Excellent timing of his challenges.

• Options
    Solly
    and had 11 men on the field
  • Options

Three way tie for me at this stage,

Chris Solly - Best RB in the division

Rhoys Wiggins - oozes class and composure

Yann Kermorgant - in my opinion (showing my age!) the best header we have had since Matt Tees - and a warrior

• Options
    Willie Duff...... I think it's your username that shows your age lol
  • Options
    For me I'm torn between Morrison, Solly, Wiggins and Kermorgant. For the way he lifts everyone and his all-round play and enthusiasm I go for Yann but they are all so great that I am happy with any of them.  What a change from other years where it really was a question of 'who was least bad?'
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Still Hollands for me-watching from the East the other day gives you a better perspective than behind the goal and just emphasised even more what a class player he is. He controls games and I think we'd miss him more than any other player.
  • Options
    I think despite the recent blip BWP is the difference.  Though any of the back 4, Hollands or the battle Yan could stake a claim, and someone like Green could seriously get into their stride too.
  • Options

Back in October/November I would have said Solly now I am veering towards Morrison the lad is quality, mind you that Wiggins isn't too shabby either

• Options
    I would say chris solly without a shadow of doubt. I believe all the other candidates came with some expectations but I certainly thought he was gonna be the weakest link but he's suprised us all, well at least me any road. well done to the man.
  • Options
    I like to see player of the year as a straight race - not biggest surprise or most improved. It is very difficult to seperate any of the names mentioned in this thread at this current time and maybe it will be a little easier when it is time to vote.