Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil v Charlton Post Match Views & News (comments in blue from those there)

Comments

• Options
    but Green is suspended for the next game after that booking
  • Options
    Jeez, talk about hard work.  Bloody silly defensive error resulted in their first goal, with a striker (was it a striker?  cant remember) taking advantage of 4 or 5 of our defense barging into each other trying to get to a high ball and spilling it to him at point-blank range.  Morrisson had some great moments, and Solly absolutely fierce and solid when we needed it, fooling their attacking midfield who looked lumbering compared to him.

Green's goal looked like a cross to me, but what the hell, fantastic ass-and face-saving goal, and a great one to open his account with.

We looked pretty average for sustained periods of the game, but also dangerous for half an hour or so before we got what we deserved in a win.

Cold wind.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2011
    Just got back from the easiest drive to and from Yeovil ever (apart from the constant @Carter bowel movements).

What a great result that is.

On a difficult pitch which cut up as the game went on, Yeovil tried to play some decent stuff yet failed to trouble the defence or Hamer.  That being said, the first goal from Obika looked like a bottle job for me, Ben was too worried about getting kicked in the face than attacking the ball.  That being said, we played well (yet still hoofed it down channels a bit too much for my liking) without creating a huge amount.  The deluge of Green corners finally paid off when their giant of a keeper couldn't reach the cross and Danny Hollands was in the right place at the right time.  Not a huge else to report on in that half.

The second half with the wind and slope with us we were pretty much on the front foot the entire half.  Their second looked like bad marking but Hamer's protestations may reveal something else in a replay that I havent seen.  Yann's free kick was something special.  Great goal.  The third goal never looked like coming, Morrison found himself 25 yards out a couple of times not knowing what to do yet had one cleared off the line and was always involved in attacking goal mouth scrambles.  Ephraim (with Wiggins) was a constant threat throughout (for a change) and had a curler brilliantly clawed away.

When Green received the ball at the end, I went to @Ketman, "he better not try and f**king shoot" because he'd seem too desperate to score all game, but he soon shut me up with an absolute cracker of a composed finish.  Yeovil really threw the kitchen sink at the end, and Hamer made two brilliant saves, one with his hands and one with his feet.

Great way to finish the game hearing Warsaw had scored.  Powelly had a Charlton scarf on and looked as knackered and relieved as all of us in the stand.

Mention to BWP who DID work hard all, chased lost causes and tried some decent flicks - he needs one to go in off of his backside.  Green put in dangerous cross after dangerous cross - one volleyed one was truly Premier League class.

Good result in some difficult conditions.  "I was there".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeovil certainly played deep. They defended well mostly, as we piled on the pressure. 

We enjoyed the match generally and of course the result. It helps when you are immediately behind the post that the last two goals just went in past.

We struggled to play through the midfield at times and too often lumped it forward. It was clear to see how much the result meant for Chris, his team and the players as they all came out for long celebrations in front of the travelling fans.

Hamer pulled off, what looked like a superb save from our end of the ground at the death. Very strange to see a corner kick taken with every Charlton player goal side of the penalty spot and no Yeovil players, bar the one taking the corner, outside the box. Including their keeper! It was a little crowded at that point.

The winner came late but we fully deserved to take all the points.

The day was topped off nicely when the Wednesday result came through. Oh, and it didn't rain.

COYR
  • Options
    Just seen the goals. Obika's was a great strike as was Kermorgant's freekick. Too much going on to tell if Hamer was fouled for their second.
  • Options
    any links for the goals? as I don't have sky.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just got in. Writing this before reading this thread.
    We were easily better than Yeovil, but we needed to win the match to prove it. We won.
    Their first goal was a poor one to concede, seemed about three of our players went for the same high ball, and it fell to their geezer who scored with a soft overhead kick, completely against the run of play.
    Our equaliser was at the other end, but it looked like a good Hollands header at the far post following a Green corner, good response quite soon after going behind...showed character. We bossed the rest of the half, some lovely passing football at times...but 1-1 h/t.
    Yeovil looked lively after the break, and their goal was similar to Hollands for us (from the other end). They gave away a stupif FK, and a trawl of youtube will show Yann scoring a number of FK's like today, goes in about half-way up the goal inside the post, pretty much unstoppable.
    There followed a storming period from us, endless corners, long throws, penalty appeals, good saves, and Morrow at centre forward for about 10 minutes...like the Alamo for them.
    Then when it looked like their packed defence rearguard action would win a point, they were obliged to move forward a bit (as in they had the ball), the ball breaks to Green who cuts in, we all thought (well I thought) he would blast it wide or over, and he threads a peach of a shot inside the far post, under our noses, we go mental....Hamer runs the length of the pitch to join in the celebrations.
    Their keeper goes up for a late corner, and Hamer pulls off a great save from a deflection.
    Game over, delight all round.
    We were better than them, and proved it by winning, simple as that...great character shown NINE away wins, fer gawdssake, I've watched whole seasons with less total wins. Home tired. can't write more just now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1st trip to Yeovil and very glad I went. Well done to the 920 down there.

2 poor goals to give away but we dealt with it well and well worth our win. 

Hamer didn't have his best game but made an important save at the end and when Danny Green scored and celebrated in the corner it was Hamer 100 yards from his goal who was celebrating with him !

We created plenty of chances and this was a really important win. Showed that we aren't going to have a blip of more than a couple of draws.

This really is a team we can be proud of and when Danny is back from his suspension he WILL score from a corner.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Just got in. Writing this before reading this thread.
    We were easily better than Yeovil, but we needed to win the match to prove it. We won.
    Their first goal was a poor one to concede, seemed about three of our players went for the same high ball, and it fell to their geezer who scored with a soft overhead kick, completely against the run of play.
    Our equaliser was at the other end, but it looked like a good Hollands header at the far post following a Green corner, good response quite soon after going behind...showed character. We bossed the rest of the half, some lovely passing football at times...but 1-1 h/t.
    Yeovil looked lively after the break, and their goal was similar to Hollands for us (from the other end). They gave away a stupif FK, and a trawl of youtube will show Yann scoring a number of FK's like today, goes in about half-way up the goal inside the post, pretty much unstoppable.
    Their followed a storming period from us, endless corners, long throws, penalty appeals, good saves, and Morrow at centre forward for about 10 minutes...like the Alamo for them.
    Then when it looked like their packed defence rearguard action would win a point, they were obliged to move forward a bit (as in they had the ball), the ball breaks to Green who cuts in, we all thought (well I thought) he would blast it wide or over, and he threads a peach of a shot inside the far post, under our noses, we go mental....Hamer runs the length of the pitch to join in the celebrations.
    Their keeper goes up for a late corner, and Hamer pulls off a great save from a deflection.
    Game over, delight all round.
    We were better than them, and proved it by winning, simple as that...great character shown NINE away wins, fer gawdssake, I've watched whole seasons with less total wins. Home tired. can't write more just now.

seems a fair assessment
  • Options

Comments are a bit blue?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    secret is - if you highlight it you can read it....
  • Options
    Was great watching the Gillette soccer thing, when walsall equalized i said get innnnn, when they scored again i laughed and when we scored i jumped up  screaming my head off!
    Snap!

Was busy high-fiving my son when Walsall scored their winner I barely had time to say "all we need now is a winner" before Danny Green's goal flashed up on screen. 

Bootiful, just bootiful!
    Was with sonic, looked at each other and said "you first or me", dont think the pub in Sunbury got it
  • Options
    Was great watching the Gillette soccer thing, when walsall equalized i said get innnnn, when they scored again i laughed and when we scored i jumped up  screaming my head off!
    Snap!

Was busy high-fiving my son when Walsall scored their winner I barely had time to say "all we need now is a winner" before Danny Green's goal flashed up on screen. 

Bootiful, just bootiful!
    Was with sonic, looked at each other and said "you first or me", dont think the pub in Sunbury got it
    Ala del boy! Beers all over the shop!!! Reliant off it's hinges COYR!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

PS

A great comedy moment when the ref checks Greens placement for a corner, marches over, all puffed up, only to see the ball was perfectly fairly placed, so he moves it about half an inch so as not to lose face. perhaps he couldn't believe Dannys corners were so good all afternoon legitimately.

• Options
    edited December 2011

I was there, but can't do blue text ;(, so just have to put up with the usual black stuff.............

Great game and back to some of our scintilating football that has gone missing of late - one pass in particular late on to BWP was sumblime !!! . I also don't know where the stats on page one of this thread came from as we must of had at east 3 efforts cleared off the line so can't see how we only had 4 efforts on target !!  The last 20 mins was all Charlton but it felt as if it wasn't going to be our day. I can't beleive that not one of our defected shots landed at the feet of a striker or went in the opposite corner ala the opposition goals at Stevenage or Walsall.........but then just as the added -on time board went up showing 4 mins the ball fell to Grenny to scamper forward with it, cut inside & out and unleased a cross (well, it looked like a cross to me) - I was tracking the ball expecting (more like willing) a foot to poke out and stab it home when it just carried onwards into the corner of the net....................cue Pandimodium !!!

Boxing Day football............it doesn't get much better than this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What a twat that ref was.
  • Options
    A number of reports coming through on NewsNow tell us that the Obika goal was a header! Funny, I didn't realise that he wore a boot on his head.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

PS

A great comedy moment when the ref checks Greens placement for a corner, marches over, all puffed up, only to see the ball was perfectly fairly placed, so he moves it about half an inch so as not to lose face. perhaps he couldn't believe Dannys corners were so good all afternoon legitimately.

Yeah, and then Danny picked the ball up and threw it forward again so that when he took it, it was outside the crescent.

• Options
    I read people in the match thread starting to moan at 60 mins.

I said it has to stop, positive vibes...

Great result. Great sprit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrific performance first half despite going behind to a sloppy goal. Yeovil didn't look upto much and gave us plenty of space to play some nice football. Second half, we again let in a poor goal although was Hamer fouled? Great equaliser from the free kick and apart from a couple of very short spells from Yeovil we totally dominated the second half. Deserved to win and if their keeper hadn't made two fantastic saves, we would have won at a canter. A good day - the beer tent is a good idea and it was a good deal drier standing on the terrace this time than on my previous visit!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Day didn't start well when I checked my tickets to see what row in the stand we were sat in only for me to notice we'd been sent terrace tickets.  That'll teach me to check them when they arrive in future,  No real drama, the 6 year old we had with us had a good view and a great time.

Yeovil were better than I expected, quite physical but got the ball down and played it at times.  Thought their right back was very good and I was glad when the 10 got subbed off.  Having said that we dominated large periods of the game.

Their goal was as a result of our defensive error, about three players jumped for the same ball and ended up back headering it as a result.  The ball sat up very nicely for a great overhead kick by Obika.  We soon equalised though and I thought we'd steamroller them second half, only for them to score again!   Looked like Hamer was blocked on the line by a Yeovil player which was what he was moaning about, but there was no way that ref was going to give us anything today

Kermogants free kick was top drawer. With him and Green in the side we've got the best set piece delivery we've had for a long time.  After the goal it was like an attacking training session we dominated possession so much.  Ephraim had a shot that thier keeper pulled off a terrific save to keep out, and he pulled off an absolute blinder to keep one out from Morrision, that he thought had crossed the line.  After those two saves I thought that was it.  Then up pops green.  I think everyone in the ground was expecting a cross and I couldn't believe it when it went in.  Great to see the whole team celebrating together in a huddle, including Hamer.

After dominating for so long there were a few nervy moments at the end, with Hamer puling off a great save to give us the points.

Overall good team performance, green probably the stand out player going forward with Solly the star for the defense.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What a twat that ref was.
    He was a real puffed up peacock.  Some real strange decisions, How was that not a backpass in the first half? He let a lot of physical stuff ride that most refs would give.  Also in the second half we won a free kick and one of thier blokes got booked for where I'm sure he got the ball,  that corner thing with green was just a joke.  Was that the corner he nearly scored from?  the guy at the back post headed one off the line that was going in at one point.
  • Options
    All those there, please put in the player marks to not let Lancs' work go to waste.

Cheers
  • Options
    Great FK from Kerm.

Seemed to be a bit of a tiff with Greenie beforehand about who was going to take it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    echo everything already said. Thought it wasn't going to be our day as everything was blocked or deflected wide but we deserved the winner, no doubt about that. Greenie nearly scored directly from a corner, Morro was sure his effort was over the line, and Taylor has a header cleared off the line. Hamer pulled off a great save at the death. I think BWP is carrying a knock, just doesn't seem right, but no real options to come in. A striker is a must come January. Great result, great performance, happy days indeed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WAS THERE. Sorry can't do blue.

What a game. Started brightly, undeservedly fell behind where, as much as I love him, Hamer defo bottled it. Didn't even see how the equaliser went in but pleased the workhorse Danny Hollands chipped in with another goal. Should maybe have gone in to the break 2-1 up although there weren't many clear cut chances. We were slow out of the blocks for the second half and they nicked a goal but after that we completely laid siege to their goal. Kermit's free kick was sublime. Is that 7 in 11 starts? When was the last time we had a front 2 getting to 20 goals so quickly btw?! Morrison's shot must have crossed the line, they blocked so many attempts and the ref was awful, epitomised by the Danny Green corner incident. It just felt like the winner was never gonna come. Still don't know whether Green's strike was a cross or shot and it seemed to take forever to cross the line but it didn't matter, we went mad!!

Believe this is only the 3rd time we've conceded more than a goal in the league this season right?

Fair play to Morrison for getting forward in the second half

Don't know how anyone can be unhappy with DG, will miss him a lot against Orient and as someone else said, he's gonna score direct from a corner if he carries on like this

I admit I moaned about having to stand but it was quite a decent view

Don't wana go on about the ref too much but he really was dreadful. You can see why teams get stuck in leagues like this with this kind of officiating on a regular basis. I pray we don't have to endure it for much longer.

Shame BWP didn't get one because I feel like he needs a confidence boost.

This isn't a moan but I fail to see what Russell brings to the side. Felt the same against Oldham but didn't say it because he scored. I'm not saying he's a particularly bad footballer, I just literally don't know what his job is. Would rather Hughes starting.

Anyway, great day, so happy I witnessed it and great to be 8 points clear again. Come on!!
  • Options
    Thanks Nicholas.It's on my FB now.
  • Options

Yann's goal particularly good given that their wall was only 7/8 yards max. 

We were right in line with Green's winner and watched it all the way. It looked as though their goalkeeper was definitely going to save it but it got away from him and snuck just inside the post.....it would have been disappointing to leave with only a point.