Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2012

Comments

• Options
    Can't wait until Cheltenham. Only doing the Tuesday this year, which i actually think is the best day as a whole. Gold Cup not very strong this year. Hopefully Peddlers Cross will hack up in the Arkle as have ante post bets.

Won't take this thread 'off course' though...
    We go to Cheltenham every year but also only going on Tuesday this year. It's my favourite day too. Wednesday is good too.
    Since the (greedy and unnecessary) stretch out to four days, Thursday is pretty crap and Friday is a nightmare, just full of those once a year race goers putting their £10 on 8/11 Favs.....

• Options
    After being the only person in eltham not to have been given 'citizenship' tip at the weekend, I've been given another couple of hurdlers to keep an eye on. (Final approach and Adams island). is there a site that you can set up alerts to let you know when they are running?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    After being the only person in eltham not to have been given 'citizenship' tip at the weekend, I've been given another couple of hurdlers to keep an eye on. (Final approach and Adams island). is there a site that you can set up alerts to let you know when they are running?

GG.com is very good for that.

http://www.gg.com/alert/

• Options
    Can't wait until Cheltenham. Only doing the Tuesday this year, which i actually think is the best day as a whole. Gold Cup not very strong this year. Hopefully Peddlers Cross will hack up in the Arkle as have ante post bets.

Won't take this thread 'off course' though...
    We go to Cheltenham every year but also only going on Tuesday this year. It's my favourite day too. Wednesday is good too.
    Since the (greedy and unnecessary) stretch out to four days, Thursday is pretty crap and Friday is a nightmare, just full of those once a year race goers putting their £10 on 8/11 Favs.....

I'm going Thursday, thanks a lot :-(
  • Options
    Thursday is ladies day & BigBucks will cruise the World Hurdle again. Worst day probably
  • Options
    Thursday is ladies day & BigBucks will cruise the World Hurdle again. Worst day probably
    I like ladies :-)
  • Options

nagme.com

• Options
    What a dismal effort from The Midnight Club at Clonmel this afternoon. Not an attempt to fool the handicapper as he was seriously pushed along by Walsh from halfway. Seems to have lost interest.
    One of 12 Mullins' GN entries (31 Irish entries).
  • Options
    What a dismal effort from The Midnight Club at Clonmel this afternoon. Not an attempt to fool the handicapper as he was seriously pushed along by Walsh from halfway. Seems to have lost interest.
    I actually find the "Jonjo O'Neill system" of backing his horses with "letter" figures (URPPFP) extremely successful in staying races but I'm not so sure that you can apply this to the Mullins stable;-)

• Options

GG.com is very good for that.

http://www.gg.com/alert/

nagme.com

thanks for these

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Final Approach is a 6 y o hurdler trained by Willie Mullins in Ireland and he won the County Hurdle At Cheltenham last year.

Adams Island is trained by Paul Nolan in Ireland and was unseated in a Chase at last years festival. However he did run in a 3 mile hurdle at Leopardstown on 29th December

• Options
    I actually find the "Jonjo O'Neill system" of backing his horses with "letter" figures (URPPFP) extremely successful in staying races but I'm not so sure that you can apply this to the Mullins stable;-)

I think you'll find there were valid excuses for that Unseated, Refused, Pulled Up, Pulled Up, Fell, Pulled Up sequence, AA....

• Options
    Just noticed Final Approach is entered for the Betfair hurdle on11th Feb. Currently around 14/1 ante post
  • Options

I think you'll find there were valid excuses for that Unseated, Refused, Pulled Up, Pulled Up, Fell, Pulled Up sequence, AA....

Depends MLC on the definition of "valid" and who exactly is accepting it. Though it helps to have the biggest owner in British horseracing in your camp.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Hmm, "never mind the quality, feel the width" is the best description of the 31-strong Irish challenge this year. A surprisingly unattractive crew from a stats perspective with the notable exception of SCOTSIRISH, due to run in a competitive 3 mile X-Country tomorrow at Punchestown but with very promising GN stats already - including being placed in both runs over the GN fences over 22 furlongs and showing stamina on soft with a very creditable performance with topweight in the Kerry National last September and on quick ground at Cheltenham in December when he would have been there or thereabouts in a c.4 mile XC if the jockey hadn't taken the wrong course a furlong from home! Has the speed to have been competitive (never quite the cigar) at the top level over 2-2.5 miles, running 8 lengths behind Voy Por Ustedes in the Melling Chase over 2.5 miles around the Mildmay course a month after being far from disgraced in the QM Champion Chase at the Festival in 2009.
    Generally 33/1 with the bookies but currently an inexplicable (so far as I can see) 85 on Betfair (last matched at 130). The handicapper is still to frame the GN weights and could clobber him when they are announced on 14 Feb but his profile is pretty robust up to 11-05. Could well head to the XC race at the Cheltenham Festival (in which Silver Birch came a close 2nd before his GN victory in 2007).
    There's still scope for his stats to change (+ or -) of course and there are several strong rivals from this side of the Irish Sea (more on these when the weights are announced) but he is certainly the strongest of the Irish contigent.

EDIT: Easy enough win today...............waiting on the handicapper.
  • Options
    Cappa Bleu - Won Foxhunters at Cheltenham two years ago and fancied to run a big race for that years Hennessey when falling. Not many many miles on the clock following lay off and back to form this season with a win at Haydock followed by a great trial yesterday when finishing third in the Welsh National.

50/1 currently available with Stan James.
    Have now added Burton Port (also at 50/1) to Cappa Bleu.
  • Options
    Just done Burton Point myself but only got 40/1 which adds to Fair Along at 80/1
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Cappa Bleu - Won Foxhunters at Cheltenham two years ago and fancied to run a big race for that years Hennessey when falling. Not many many miles on the clock following lay off and back to form this season with a win at Haydock followed by a great trial yesterday when finishing third in the Welsh National.

AA: Burton Port could be very interesting, but it might take the training performance of the century to win the National after 16 months off the track. Not a great jumper of a fence either (as we know to our cost!) but some take to the Aintree fences. All in the price at 50s though!
  • Options
    edited February 2012

AA: Burton Port could be very interesting, but it might take the training performance of the century to win the National after 16 months off the track. Not a great jumper of a fence either (as we know to our cost!) but some take to the Aintree fences. All in the price at 50s though!
    Agree with all you say MLC. As you know BP would have won me a tidy sum had he won the Hennessey (made another bad mistake) but I'm happy to follow him over a cliff - or in his case a fence ;-)

• Options
    GN Weights out today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    According to RTE Racing website (incomplete list):
    Synchronised 11.10
    Ballabriggs 11.09
    Midnight Chase 11.08
    Weird Al 11.08
    Burton Port 11.07
    Quel Esprit 11.07
    Calgary Bay 11.06
    Neptune Collonges 11.06
    Alfa Beat 11.05
    Planet Of Sound 11.05
    Blazing Tempo 11.04
    Deep Purple 11.03
    Junior 11.02
    Scotsirish 11.02
    Quantitativeeasing 11.02
    Apt Approach 11.01
    Shakalakaboomboom 10.12
    West End Rocker 10.12
    On His Own 10.11
    Cappa Bleu 10.10
    Mon Mome 10.08
    Hold On Julio 10.07
    Prince De Beauchene 10.06
    Roulez Cool 10.05
    State Of Play 10.03
  • Options
    Great weight for State of Play. Getting on though the old boy.
  • Options
    Hold on Julio .. what a light weight. BUT will he last the distance ? .. who knows
  • Options
    According to RTE Racing website (incomplete list):
    Synchronised 11.10
    Ballabriggs 11.09
    Midnight Chase 11.08
    Weird Al 11.08
    Burton Port 11.07
    Quel Esprit 11.07
    Calgary Bay 11.06
    Neptune Collonges 11.06
    Alfa Beat 11.05
    Planet Of Sound 11.05
    Blazing Tempo 11.04
    Deep Purple 11.03
    Junior 11.02
    Scotsirish 11.02
    Quantitativeeasing 11.02
    Apt Approach 11.01
    Shakalakaboomboom 10.12
    West End Rocker 10.12
    On His Own 10.11
    Cappa Bleu 10.10
    Mon Mome 10.08
    Hold On Julio 10.07
    Prince De Beauchene 10.06
    Roulez Cool 10.05
    State Of Play 10.03
    These were supposed to be embargoed 'til 11.30 so someone at RTE has let the cat out of the bag early!

Should have expected BP to be near the top and happy with Cappa Bleu's weight.
  • Options
    Junior could be one to keep an eye on
  • Options
    From a quick application of the slide rule, West End Rocker has a great chance. More in due course.
  • Options
    So should Synchronised be ignored now that it is carrying 11.10?
  • Options
    From a quick application of the slide rule, West End Rocker has a great chance. More in due course.
    Now Im all ears and shall be watching this closely.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    If you take at face value Jonjo's reason for pulling him out of the Irish Hennessy on Sunday (viz. wasn't working well at home) you have to be concerned generally about his wellbeing (though we are two months away and one shouldn't always take trainers' comments at face value). Also he and JP might easily decide that with topweight they will skip it this year, who knows.
    If he does take his chance and is fit (and, even though jockies aren't relevant to the stats, has AP on board, as he seems to need a bit of AP-encouragement from time to time) at first cut of the stats, even with topweight, he could do it on Soft or Heavy going and go close on good to soft BUT the stats could change over the next two months. All things considered I wouldn't be backing him now at his current price.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    If you take at face value Jonjo's reason for pulling him out of the Irish Hennessy on Sunday
    I will always struggle to take anything Jonjo says at face value PM. That's why his stable tour (and certain others) goes unopened straight in the bin ;-)