Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

seeking travel advice re Orient

Comments

• Options
    Richard, doing a similar journey, I have concluded that Jubilee Line/North Greenwich to Leytonstone via Stratford is an easier option than the DLR (which is efficient, but not the fastest transport mode on the planet!). If not parking at Sainsburys and battling with 2 or 3 sets of traffic lights, there is a small amount of free street parking in the vicinity of Woolwich Rd, just a short walk from the Sainsburys bus stop. (I'll be collecting my ticket from The Valley and doing the same journey)
    Kimbo, there is some street parking close to the Orient ground, but you'll need some luck to find a space!
  • Options
    Richard, doing a similar journey, I have concluded that Jubilee Line/North Greenwich to Leytonstone via Stratford is an easier option than the DLR (which is efficient, but not the fastest transport mode on the planet!). If not parking at Sainsburys and battling with 2 or 3 sets of traffic lights, there is a small amount of free street parking in the vicinity of Woolwich Rd, just a short walk from the Sainsburys bus stop. (I'll be collecting my ticket from The Valley and doing the same journey)
    Kimbo, there is some street parking close to the Orient ground, but you'll need some luck to find a space!
    I just need to be at Bexleyheath and Blackheath by 9 (curry) and concerned with using trains may not make it in time
  • Options
    Or park a little further up outside cinema and walk. Surely those of you paying to get a bus may as well pay at the car park.

It will be the quickest way. I'm jumping on 486 from the village straight down to NG. Handy away journey.
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet to Stratford, walk through Westfield and pick up the Central Line to Leyton. Easy journey.
  • Options
    there are attendants in the Sainsbury's car park and you can get clamped.

Really?
    Since I moved back to the area in 2001, I have never, ever seen an attendant in that car park.

Not saying you're wrong, your comment just really surprises me.
  • Options
    Seriously, park in Tunnel Avenue, opposite Harriott Close, loads of street parking, go through the little alley, then walk across the footbridge which brings you out by the cinema/Nando's etc and its a 5 minute trot to North Greenwich tube. I always use it when going to the O2, and no traffic problems coming away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It's beyond me why anyone would drive to North Greenwich from Eltham & then mess around with buses, car park fees, walking & tube etc.

If you've driven to Blackwall tunnel, it's only 15 mins the other side. You'll be there before all the other options.

You can park close to the ground if you're early & if you leave as he blows the final whistle & beat the traffic, your car journey home will take 30 mins.

If you beat the traffic ! I've done it last 2 seasons.

• Options

It's beyond me why anyone would drive to North Greenwich from Eltham & then mess around with buses, car park fees, walking & tube etc.

If you've driven to Blackwall tunnel, it's only 15 mins the other side. You'll be there before all the other options.

You can park close to the ground if you're early & if you leave as he blows the final whistle & beat the traffic, your car journey home will take 30 mins.

If you beat the traffic ! I've done it last 2 seasons.

Ditto. No probs at all.
  • Options
    Ebbsfleet to Stratford, walk through Westfield and pick up the Central Line to Leyton. Easy journey.

Errrr, does that mean you'll be at thhe match, BDL ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Errrr, does that mean you'll be at thhe match, BDL ?

Afraid so Fanners, I was at Southend in the JPT last season when we won so I can't be called a jonah
  • Options
    Seriously, park in Tunnel Avenue, opposite Harriott Close, loads of street parking, go through the little alley, then walk across the footbridge which brings you out by the cinema/Nando's etc and its a 5 minute trot to North Greenwich tube. I always use it when going to the O2, and no traffic problems coming away.
    Thanks, that looks like the best idea.

I see what people mean about driving all the way, but the main thing there is, I hate to leave early; and I'm wondering if we won't drive into NYE peak traffic. But I don't know about that, havent been in a car in London NYE for years
  • Options
    Note: the '5 minute trot' may be a bit optimistic unless you are Mo Farah!. Worth catching the bus from the stop by the cinema :-)
  • Options
    Note: the '5 minute trot' may be a bit optimistic unless you are Mo Farah!. Worth catching the bus from the stop by the cinema :-)
    LOL, ok 10 minute walk at most, still, free parking, and easy escape route avoiding all O2, cinema and restaurant traffic nearby
  • Options

Errrr, does that mean you'll be at the match, BDL ?

Afraid so Fanners, I was at Southend in the JPT last season when we won so I can't be called a jonah
    OK. As long as you're in disguise ..
  • Options
    edited December 2011

486 to Charlton Church Lane to North Greewnich, Jubilee to Stratford then 1 stop to Leyton and same way back for me.

. Can you not get the 486 from N Greenwich to  Charlton Station then train to Eltham or not ?

Ps Don't know why my post has come out like this ?

• Options

. Can you not get the 486 from N Greenwich to  Charlton Station then train to Eltham or not ?

Would that our transport links were this helpful! Only to Eltham via Lewisham from Charlton, which isn't very quick at the best of times, let alone with the NYE 'service'!  If Prague Addick is parked in Tunnel Ave, he'll be back in Eltham in about 10 minutes :-)
  • Options
    there are attendants in the Sainsbury's car park and you can get clamped.

Really?
    Since I moved back to the area in 2001, I have never, ever seen an attendant in that car park.

Not saying you're wrong, your comment just really surprises me.
    You obviously haven't noticed the hut with the big Security sign on the roof.

Interesting change in the South Eastern timetable - you can get fairly frequent direct trains from Eltham to Charlton via Slade Green on Saturdays. Don't suggest you try it. (The destination shown on the train changes during the journey to avoid confusing people)

Please note the nearest station to the ground is Leyton not Leytonstone.
  • Options
    Welling to Lewisham then Lewisham to Stratford then onto Leyton should be alright guys?
  • Options
    Welling to Lewisham then Lewisham to Stratford then onto Leyton should be alright guys?
    Wouldnt it be easier to get a 486 to North Greenwich
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eltham - London bridge- northern to Liverpool st - pub - central to Leyton - used to live in Leyton and this is always the route I took when coming back to SE9
  • Options
    Except you have to change at Moorgate from the Nothern to Metropolitan/Circle to get to Liv St ;)
  • Options
    Except you have to change at Moorgate from the Nothern to Metropolitan/Circle to get to Liv St ;)
    Nathan, stop mugging yourself off son. Moorgate is a two minute walk from Liverpool Street station. 

Jeez. This thread is depressing.
  • Options
    Nathan has a point tho. His route is more direct and quicker. But not if se9 wants to drink at liv st.
  • Options
    What is the realistic strolling time from parking at the cinema near the bugsbys way sainsburys and the jubilee line at north greenwich?
  • Options
    What is the realistic strolling time from parking at the cinema near the bugsbys way sainsburys and the jubilee line at north greenwich?
    20mins max..bus is 5mins so you could do that
  • Options
    prague heading over there myself now my daughter is a lot better and i aint working, i will in box you 2moz and let you know where i am having a beer
  • Options
    prague heading over there myself now my daughter is a lot better and i aint working, i will in box you 2moz and let you know where i am having a beer
    Good news all round for you, mate. My brother and I finally decided we are going to dump the car at N. greenwich and get over there by tube.
  • Options
    Just to confirm that all DLR trains from Woolwich Arsenal on Saturday will be running to Canary Wharf.

You will have to change to the Jubilee Line at Canning Town to get to Stratford for the Central Line to Leyton.
  • Options
    good man i amn heading over from here, so i may have the car or i might get public either way i wont be having a mad session but will be having a cheeky pint before our hard fought well earned 1 nil victory