Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• Options
    Did Simmo wear it?

• Options
    cheers stig ... i couldn't remember the pin stripe in it tho
  • Options
    1st February

1930: Jack Pugsley becomes the first Charlton player to win a cap for Wales. Wales lose 7-0 to Ireland ending Pugsley's international career.
    1966: Robert Lee born.
    2003: Sunderland score three goals in eight minutes for us at The Stadium of Light. Wright 1, Proctor 2.
    2011: 1-0 versus Colchester. Thanks to Bradley Wright-Phillips and Mr Sheldrake.
  • Options
    2nd February

1929: Wilson Lennox becomes the first player to score five goals in a match for the Addicks as Charlton beat Exeter 5-2.

• Options
    3rd February

1923: Charlton's first appearance in the FA Cup, 2nd Round Proper. They beat Preston 2-0 at The Valley (Goodman, Smith, S.).
    1974: First ever Sunday match at The Valley, a 3-3 draw with Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    1974 My very first match at the Valley.
  • Options
    4th February

1954: Jeff Wood born. 166 matches for The Addicks including a 143 game unbroken run. Wood held the club record for being on the unbeaten side in his first 9 league matches. That record would have been beaten by many of this season's squad as we went 12 games unbeaten from the start of the season.
  • Options
    5th February

1955: Eddie Firmani puts five past Villa as Charlton win 6-1. Billy Kiernan got the other. I wonder if any Lifers are old enough to remember this.
    2011: Yeovil 0 Charlton 1 (BWP). The third of four successive wins under new manager Chris Powell.
  • Options
    6th February

1977: Jason Euell born. 39 goals from 170 appearances from our one-time most expensive signing.
    1982: Don McAllister in the 90th minute to beat the Groupon guys with the tick-worthy tricks 2-1 (Walsh got the first).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    7th February

1935: Don Welsh signs from Torquay for £3,250. Not a bad price for an FA Cup winning captain.
  • Options
    Fat Addicks......Andy Jones
  • Options
    8th February

1889: Albert 'Mosky' Mills was born. The only member of the original Charlton team to represent the club in the league.
    1941: Don Welsh and Sam Bartram both play in a wartime international for England v Scotland at Newcastle. Scotland win 3-2.
    1947: On route to the cup final, Charlton beat Blackburn 1-0 in a 5th round tie. It was the first ever televised FA Cup match other than Finals. Tommy Dawson's winning goal was scored just 13 seconds before the ref blew for time.
    2003: Charlton 2 (Kishishev, Lisbie) Everton 1
    2006: Charlton 2 (Bent, Young) Liverpool 0
  • Options
    9th February

1935: Debut for Don Welsh as Charlton beat Millwall 3-1
    1939: Leicester 1 Charlton 5 (Tadman 2, Brown, Sharman o.g., Welsh)
    2008: Luke Varney brace sinks Palace 2-0.
  • Options
    Luke Varney! What a hero!
  • Options
    10th February

1962: Luton Town 1 - Charlton Athletic 6 (Six). Charlton's record away win – Edwards 3, Leary, Kinsey and a Pacey o.g.
    1985: Leon Clarke born.
    2007: 75,883 watch Charlton play Man Utd at Old Trafford. It is the largest crowd for a Charlton away match.
  • Options
    11th February

1939: Charlton 7 (Seven) Man Utd 1. Scorers: Tadman 4, Wilkinson 2, Hobbis.
  • Options
    12th February

1938: Record attendance at The Valley, 75,031 for Charlton v Aston Villa. Oddly, we know that Villa scored first in the 28th minute, but the time of George Robinson's equaliser seems to be unknown.
    1994: Oxford 0 Charlton 4 (Leaburn 2, Pardew pen, Nelson).
    2003: Paul Konchesky's England debut. Aussies win 3-1.
  • Options
    13th February

1999: Keith Jones scores to give Charlton a 1-0 victory over Liverpool. This game might have been disrupted, but four men were arrested three days previously on suspision of tampering with the floodlights. Four men (three from a Malasian betting syndicate and one a former security guard at The Valley) were later jailed for conspiracy to cause a public nuisance.
    2002: Chris Powell's 5th and final England cap. 1-1 draw with Netherlands in Amsterdam.
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlton-Athletic-This-Day-History/dp/1908051094
    This thread is heavily influenced by this book. I received as a gift for my birthday. Basic but informative.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlton-Athletic-This-Day-History/dp/1908051094
    This thread is heavily influenced by this book. I received as a gift for my birthday. Basic but informative.

The thread isn't influenced by the book at all. I have deliberately not bought a copy, or even thumbed through a copy, because I don't want to know what's in it until the year is out. This thread was influenced by a debate on Charlton Life (I believe about Jimmy Melrose's 9 second goal) where someone said that it would be good to know the anniversaries of such events. Of course there's likely to be massive similarities because the topic matter is the same.
  • Options
    good research Stig
  • Options
    Thanks very much Alex, but my research is only secondary. Colin Cameron (Home & Away and Valiant 500) did most of the hard work. Other stuff is mainly from books by Richard Redden, Paul Clayton and Rick Everitt.
  • Options

Keep up the good work Stig. It's an interesting thread to dip into now and then.
  • Options
    14th February

1942: Charlton beat Brentford 3-2 in a wartime friendly. Not as exciting as the 8-2 win over Brighton the previous week or the 7-4 victory over Fulham later in the month. But it seems Valentines day isn't that much of an important date for the Addicks.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    15th February

1964: Charlton 4 Man City 3 (Firmani 2, Glover, Kevan)
    1977: Charlton 2 Orient 0 (Flanagan Curtis, pen)
    2000: Charlton 1 Fulham 0 (Robinson). Addicks go 7 points clear at the top of the Championship.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    16th February

1938: 61,530 watch a 2-2 draw between Aston Villa and Charlton (Brown 2) in the first replay of their FA Cup Tie (see 12th Feb).
    1946: Sam Bartram misses a penalty against Birmingham City in the Football League (South).
    1985: Fan's favourite Simon Francis born.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    17th February

1886: Arthur Whalley born. Whalley was captain of the 1923 Charlton "Babes" side that knocked Man City, Preston and West Brom out of the cup. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/giants-not-babes/query/Charlton

He is more famous though for being banned from the game whilst a Man U player for his part in an allegedly fixed game: Man U needed to beat Liverpool to relegate Chelsea and save themselves from the drop. In that game Liverpool player (and former Manu man) Jackie Sheldon missed a penalty. Whalley was implicated along with seven others of match fixing following reports of suspiciously large amounts of money being bet on the 2-0 outcome.
  • Options
    18th February

1928: Albert Lindon plays his debut game against Millwall Athletic at The Den. At 37 years and 25 days, he is Charlton's oldest debutant. Best not to mention the score though.
    2010: Johnnie Jackson signs on one-month loan from Notts County. Initially brought in as cover for Grant Basey, it seems that Dominic Blizzard might have done us a favour. Poor old Grant. I still can't believe that Blizzard wasn't sent off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmECkiJxjKc
  • Options
    19th February

2000: Live beam back of Bolton v Charlton in the cup. Wrong result.