Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• 19th February

2000: Live beam back of Bolton v Charlton in the cup. Wrong result.
    Bad day at the Reebok, Better day in the league game. Loads of trouble at the station after the game, police using horses to indiscriminately charge people.

• 20th February

1915: Robert Wright born. Singed for Charlton for £100 in 1937. Played just 28 games before the war ended his career as a footballer.
    1999: Derby 0 Charlton 2 (Hunt, Pringle)
    2010: Beat Yeovil 2-0 at The Valley. Kyel Reid Scores his fist Charlton Goal, David Mooney gets the other.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlton-Athletic-This-Day-History/dp/1908051094
    This thread is heavily influenced by this book. I received as a gift for my birthday. Basic but informative.

Basic, though the book is too small for a club of our history, but informative.

• 21st February

1938: 64,782 watch Charlton play Aston Villa at Highbury in the FA Cup 5th Round, 2nd Replay. The aggregate crowd of 201,343 over three matches remains a cup record.
    1976: Infamous game at Sunderland: Graham Tutt's last game for Charlton. http://www.ajc.com/sports/soccer-king-tutt-ready-784294.html
    2004: Brad Friedel become the first (only) goalkeeper to score against Charlton from open play. Two minutes later Jensen wiped the smile off his face.
  • Lovely story about Tutty....remember the incident really well and the scum spitting and coining him as he was stretchered off.
  • 22nd February

2003:
    Charlton 3 (Euell, Johansson 2) Aston Villa 0.
  • edited February 2012
    23rd February

Generally a bummer of a day for Charlton. We have lost our last six matches on this day and haven't won since 1953. Our most notable win was in 1929 when we beat Bournemouth and Boscombe 6-2.
  • edited February 2012
    24th February

1922: Bob Thomson sets Charlton's record transer fee when he signs from Chelsea for £300.
    1923: Charlton's first appearance in the FA Cup 3rd Round, they beat 1st Division West Brom 1-0 (Goodman). The 31,489 crowd was at the time a new attendance record at The Valley.
    1951: Arsenal 2 Charlton 5 (Hurst, Jeppson 3, Evans). Arsenal's biggest defeat for 22 years and the first time a London club had put 5 past them.
    2007: Charlton 4 West Ham 0 (Ambrose, Thomas 2, Bent). My personal recollection of this match is that on the way to the game, but unknown to us at the time, my eldest son trod in dog mess. Four times we scored, and being little, four times he stood on his seat to cheer. With each goal the smell got a little worse until the last goal when we realised what had happened, by then he had dog squit all the way up the back of his coat, it was disgusting.

• 25th February

1911: Don Welsh born. Charlton's FA Cup winning captain.
    1988: Rúrik Gíslason born. Whatever happened to Rúrik? I seem to remember that we had such high hopes for him.
  • 26th February

2000: Charlton beat Sheffield Utd 1-0 thanks to a John Robinson goal just after half time. This put us 8 points ahead of Man City at the top of the First Division.
    2010: Kyel Reid scores in the last minute to give Charlton a 2-1 victory over Southend at Roots Hall. Akpo got the first.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
    27th February

1942: Mike Bailey born. 169 appearances 22 goals for The Addicks. He was the last Charlton player before Chris Powell to win an England cap, playing in a 10-0 victory against the USA and a 2-1 victory against Wales. He was also the last manager (before CP?) to get us promoted from the 3rd tier.
    1984: Judge agrees to a winding up order. Judge to Charlton chairman Mark Hulyer, “I have the impression that if I give another adjournment, there will be yet another story of hopes unfulfilled next time we came back to court”.
  • 28th February

2001: Chris Powell makes his debut for England helping to beat Spain 3-0 at Villa Park.

He is ignored in this report, but it is quite funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzy7Lfg500M
  • 29th February

1936: Charlton have only ever won once on 29th Feb; when they beat Swansea Town 4-1 (Robinson, Hobbis, Welsh, Allen). Just as this morning, there was a bit of confusion as a result of betting: To try and stop the pools companies from profiteering on the backs of football. The league didn't announce the fixtures until the last minute, even the people writing the match programme did not know who Charlton were going to play.
  • i like feb 28th , i wouldn't cross the road for an england friendly but i made the pilgrimage to villa park to worship SCP and 11 years on the trip to Chesterfield was just as rewarding thanks to SCP ... i love him more than life itself !
  • 1st March

1947: 6th Round Proper of FA Cup. Charlton beat Preston 2-1 (Duffy, Hurst). Jimmy Seed was ill and listened to match commentary down the phone.
  • edited March 2012
    2nd March

1907: Charlton 7 Millwall Rangers 1. Charlton win the penultimate game of the season to become champions of their division and gain promotion in their first season of football in a league. P18 W17* D1 L0 (*includes one game awarded despite losing the match)
    1935: Ralph Allen scores to set a record for a Charlton play of scoring in 7 consecutive matches.
    1988: Mike Norris and Roger Alwen announce that they have acquired Adelong, the company that owned The Valley, the cost was £2.6m.
    2002: Charlton 2 (Euell 2) Chelsea 1.
  • 3rd March

1984: Fixture against Blackburn postponed. Originally the League said that Charlton would lose their place in the league but at the last minute allowed this one game to be delayed.
    1988: Michael Morrison born.
    1994: Harry Osborne born.
    1998: Charlton 5 West Brom 0 (Bright, Newton, Mendonca 2 1pen, Kinsella 1)
  • 4th March

1994: Callum Harriot born.
    2000: Bolton 0 Charlton 2 (Pringle, Hunt)
    2008: Boisterous Bristol City fans let off a flare in the Jimmy Seed.
  • Hong Kong Heskie, quality US report Stig, made me chuckle
  • 5th March

1983: Charlton 5 (Bullivant, Smith, Harris, Simonsen 2) Chelsea 2. Poor old Simonsen, scored a brace but had his car smashed as a result.
  • Sponsored links:

• That was magic, that day.
  • 6th March

1920: Abandoned friendly against Spurs reserves (Spurs were leading 3-0 at the time with one of their goals scored by Jimmy Seed). It might not sound that important, but it directly led to the decision for Charlton to become a professional club. At one point it was even proposed that we'd be funded by Spurs.
    1954: Cake to celebrate Sam Bartram's 500th appearance for Charlton. Charlton beat Portsmouth 3-1. It is now counted as Sam's 497th game.
    1994: Jordan Cousins born.
  • edited March 2012
    7th March

1992: Charlton 1 (Hendry) Millwall 0
    2000: Beat Walsall 4-2 at the Bescot Stadium (Hunt 2, Kinsella 2). A club record 12th successive win and record 6th Away.
  • 8th March

1984: Charlton within 30 minutes of extinction. A rescue package from Sunley was agreed in court just 30 minutes before the league's expulsion deadline. Club re-formed as Charlton Athletic Football Club (1984) Ltd.
    1988: John Sullivan born.
  • 9th March

1913: Harrold Hobbis born. 78 goals in 268 appearances for The Addicks.
    1996: Charlton completed the double over Millwall by beating them 2-0 (Bowyer, Leaburn)
  • 10th March

1923: Charlton's first game in the 4th Round Proper of the FA Cup. 41,023 ( new record) see The Addicks take on Bolton. The match was stopped for a while after a barrier collapsed. Sadly Bolton won 1-0.
    1930: Charlton 5 Nottingham Forest 0
    1956: Sam Bartram plays his last ever game for Charlton. At 42 years and 48 days old, he is the oldest player to ever play for Charlton's first team. Charlton beat Arsenal 2-0 (Gauld 2)
    1984: Debuts for midfielder Robert Lee and new chairman John Fryer. 3-3 draw with Grimsby who, sadly, equalised in that last minute.
    1987: Charlton beat Norwich in the SF of the Full Members' Cup to reach their first Wembley final for 40 years. Rosario gave Norwich the lead in the 89th minute, but Walsh equalised in injury time. Three minutes into extra time a Butterworth o.g. Wins it for The Addicks.
  • 11th March

1966: Brian Whitehouse signs. Despite only playing 13 games for The Addicks, he played in almost every position including in goal.
  • 1987: Charlton beat Norwich in the SF of the Full Members' Cup to reach their first Wembley final for 40 years. Rosario gave Norwich the lead in the 89th minute, but Walsh equalised in injury time. Three minutes into extra time a Butterworth o.g. Wins it for The Addicks.

25 years ago ..... i feel so so old... i feel as old as nicholas looks
  • 12th March

1985: BWP born.
    1994: Cup quarter final. 10,000 Charlton fans. Schmeichel sent off. Things can only get better (not).
    2007: Chris Dickson signed from Dulwich Hamlet. According to the handbook he scored twice in 34 appearances Surely, he didn't play that much did he?
  • 13th March

2004: Matt Holland scored the only goal as Charlton beat Middlesboro.