Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic - Day by Day

Comments

• Options
    14th March

1981: Sheffield Wednesday are sooo fookin massi' 'a' those cockney twats fra Charlton even use thea kits to try 'n be mooar li' 'em. Feckless idiots though, couldn't even bea' t' pigs. 3-2 to t' scum.

• Options
    1987: Charlton beat Norwich in the SF of the Full Members' Cup to reach their first Wembley final for 40 years. Rosario gave Norwich the lead in the 89th minute, but Walsh equalised in injury time. Three minutes into extra time a Butterworth o.g. Wins it for The Addicks.

25 years ago ..... i feel so so old... i feel as old as nicholas looks
    In front of just over 5000 fans at Sellout with a goodly contingent of Norwich there.......cue 8000 lifers claiming to have been there ;-)

• Options
    1987: Charlton beat Norwich in the SF of the Full Members' Cup to reach their first Wembley final for 40 years. Rosario gave Norwich the lead in the 89th minute, but Walsh equalised in injury time. Three minutes into extra time a Butterworth o.g. Wins it for The Addicks.

In front of just over 5000 fans at Sellout with a goodly contingent of Norwich there.......cue 8000 lifers claiming to have been there ;-)

I was there.
  • Options
    It was after one of the FMC at sellhurst that I was in the Golden Lion in Sydenham when the axe-murder happened there.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    15th March

Not much glory on the pitch on this day, so we take a little trip back in time...

1929: William Whewell signs as an amateur. Only played 4 matches for The Addicks, but also got “soccer” blues for Cambridge University and earned seven England Amateur caps. He also represented Cambridgeshire at cricket, but was killed in an air raid in 1940.

• Options
    16th March

1906: Charlton Athletic 3 Crescent United 1. Unofficial reports suggest that Charlton's first ever game may have been an 8-0 defeat to Crescent earlier that season. Officially Silvertown Wesley are reported as our first ever opponents.
    1963: Charlton 6 Plymouth 3 (Bailey 2, Peacock, Kenning, Lucas, Ryan)
    2005: Charlton 2 Spurs 0 (Thomas, Murphy)

• Options
    edited March 2012
    16th March

1906: Charlton Athletic 3 Crescent United 1. Unofficial reports suggest that Charlton's first ever game may have been an 8-0 defeat to Crescent earlier that season. Officially Silvertown Wesley are reported as our first ever opponents.
    1963: Charlton 6 Plymouth 3 (Bailey 2, Peacock, Kenning, Lucas, Ryan)
    2005: Charlton 2 Spurs 0 (Thomas, Murphy)

17th March

Bugger, I got my days mixed up on the previous post and now it's too late to edit. The three items previously attributed to the 16th March all took place on the 17th.

16th March

1966: Charlie Wright sings for £8,000 from Grimsby. 209 appearances in goal for The Addicks. According to Colin Cameron he used to chat to fans during matches until manager Eddie Firmani banned him from doing so. Anyone on here chatted to Charlie during a game?

• Options
    18th March

2002: Tottenham Hotspur 0 Christopher George Robin Powell 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/3020286/Powell-adds-to-Spurs-pain.html
  • Options
    19th March

1986: Charlton win 2-1 (Pearson, Flanagan) away to Bradford, breaking the hosts 100% record in The Odsal Stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    20th March

1971: Gordon Watson born. Eight goals in 36 appearances. In February 1991 he was transferred to the team from Owlerton. They finished in 3rd place, gaining promotion to the top flight. We finished 13 places below them, being unable to hang on to the coat tails of such a massive club.
  • Options
    21st March

1998: Crewe 0 Charlton 3 (Mills, Newton, Kinsella)
  • Options
    22nd March

2000: Charlton 4 (Newton, Svensson, Hunt, Tiler) Grimsby 0
  • Options

I was there.
    So was I! Didn't we end up on the pitch at the end?
  • Options
    23rd March

Days don't get much more important than this in Charlton history:

1946: Charlton beat Bolton Wanderers 2-0 in the FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park (Duffy 2)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cup-semi-final-bolton-v-charlton/query/Charlton

1989: Return to The Valley announcement by Roger Alwen at Woolwich Town Hall.

• Options
    I can still "hear" Roger Alwen saying "We're going home". Great great night.
  • Options
    Love that picture of Patrick Collins!
  • Options

I was there.

And for the Birmingham game

And for the Bradford Game

AND away to Everton!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    24th March

1987: Charlton gain an unwanted record as their match at home to Oxford is the lowest ever for the First Division; just 4,205. This record was soon after taken by Wimbledon.
    2001: Chris Powell gets second cap as England beat Finland 2-1 at Anfield.

• Options
    is that JJ and SCP ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It certainly is.
  • Options
    24th March

1987: Charlton gain an unwanted record as their match at home to Oxford is the lowest ever for the First Division; just 4,205. This record was soon after taken by Wimbledon.
    I went to this game too! (bet there's not too many claiming to be at that game)
  • Options
    25th March

1895: Jimmy Seed born. Arguably, Charlton's greatest ever manager.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/football-comes-in-charlton-athletic-in-training

2000: Palace 0 Charlton 1 (Kitson)
  • Options

Left-back for palace that day ?
  • Options
    Ashley Cole?
  • Options
    26th March

1921: 10-0 victory over Belfast United in a friendly.
    2006: Charlton 3 Newcastle 1. Darren Bent and Jay Bothroyd got two of our goals with old boy Lee Bowyer adding an o.g. for good measure. Scott Parker scored his first goal for Newcastle. For some of us, this game laid to rest the demonisation of Parker. For others, it still goes on.
  • Options

Left-back for palace that day ?
    SCP
  • Options
    Was Cashley.
  • Options
    27th March

We've only ever won once on this day.

1937: Charlton 4 Wolves 0 (Hobbis, Welsh 2, Stephenson)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    28th March

1998: Charlton 4 (Bright, Mortimer, Mendonca, Kinsella) Nottingham Forest 2. Forest's two goals were the last that Charlton would concede until the play-off final that season. Seven consecutive clean sheets in the league followed by two in the play offs.